Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have, have, need, need, have.

• 20-04-2010 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone filling in a World Cup sticker album? Bit of a weird one but it's always been a tradition among me, my brother and a few mates to get into the Panini World Cup sticker albums. Started filling in one after it came free in a newspaper this weekend, and despite having kids of their own now all the lads are into it again. Even gonna be bringing my swaps to the pub this weekend. For some reason it didn't go down too well when I asked my girlfriend to get me some footie stickers when she was in the shop, but you can't mess with tradition.

Just thinking it'd be handy to organise swaps and the likes if anyone else is doing it here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I feel like it's 1994 again after reading that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Haven't done one of these in years.

You've tempted me now though, might have to invest in a sticker album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Reminds me of collecting call cards too, in or around the mid 90's. Those damn Tir Na nÓg ones!

Tried collecting the stickers once or twice, but when you get to the stage you have so many, the odds of getting the ones you want are slim to nothin', especially when your mates weren't really bothered collecting them, so you couldn't swap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Reminds me of collecting call cards too, in or around the mid 90's. Those damn Tir Na nÓg ones!
    Massive flashback moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

so what are the best ones for the world cup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

anyone sen those new augmented reality cards, they look pretty slick if i was still 10!

like this but with footballers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Remember "World Cup 90?" It was in a big ring binder and you'd get an issue every week. Had sections such as "Great Games", "Golden Goal", and "Great Players." It was f*cking brilliant. Had a sticker section as well, I remember the Austrian flag was the Holy Grail.

Ah the memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Thread title gave me more vivid flashbacks than acid could ever do :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I remember the World Cup '94 one, was it free with The Star or The Sun? EVERYBODY had it and certain stickers were as rare as Faberge eggs. I can remember they were selling the packets of stickers for mad cheap after the World Cup was over but kids were still mad for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The only way you could ever fill these things was by posting away for the stickers that were like gold-dust. I think the max you could order was 25 or 50 stickers at a time. It is still the best way to fill it but devoid of the magical moment of opening the packet only to find you now have 20 stickers of Paul Parker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Wow :eek:

What a blast from the past, I might just be tempted to try and fill one of these. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Got the Panini one as usual, only 18 players per squad tho :(

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

flahavaj wrote: »
    Remember "World Cup 90?" It was in a big ring binder and you'd get an issue every week. Had sections such as "Great Games", "Golden Goal", and "Great Players." It was f*cking brilliant. Had a sticker section as well, I remember the Austrian flag was the Holy Grail.

Ah the memories.

Good times. Ever day before school and at break, the stickers would come out for swaps. I'd imagine the internet factor, and being 20 years older (:() would significantly reduce the buzz though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Got the Panini one as usual, only 18 players per squad tho :(

You get it free with a paper?

Or are they vailable in newsagents?

This thread has driven me to get one of these this year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Gillington wrote: »
    lol, that's amazing.

lol, that's amazing.

It is actually. I remember being fascinated at how many players from Eastern Europe had dodgy 'taches and mullets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Ah yes the Panini stickers. Great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I remember I'd have to wait for football training with the lads to do swaps because I was in an all girls school and I was the only one who collected them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

my brother collected the coin collection for Italia 90/USA 94 .... I never got into the world cup ones, but I spent a few years collecting the premierleague albums.... think I have 3 full albums at home, 1993/4, 1994/5, 1995/6 and uncompleted 1996/97

the shiny's .... "3D" stickers ...or the multiple (2 stickers together make 1 image)

• Advertisement

The average age of the Scotland team must be about 50!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Ah the memories.

there's a tear in my eye after reading that, I was 12,

Pierre Littbarski

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Ah the memories.

http://www.casttv.com/video/gthyee1/orbis-1990-world-cup-sticker-album-video

I was only a few away from finsihing that album. Loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Xavi6 wrote: »

I completed the USA 94 one and still have it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I remember collecting these.

!Bg6Kv4gBmk~$%28KGrHqQOKjoErzE5rsHtBLG+70EdCw~~_35.JPG

Never did get that last coin :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Remember "World Cup 90?" It was in a big ring binder and you'd get an issue every week.

That was the Orbis World Cup 90 as advertised by Brian Clough. I remember all the hype in school coming up to part 11 iirk because Ireland were the feature team in that one.

I still have it at home. never completed it as there was one sticker I never got. Emilio Butragueno! I've hated him ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Ah the memories.

EVERYTHING I know about football probably stemmed from this sticker album. I was 8.
    5starpool wrote: »
    Good times. Ever day before school and at break, the stickers would come out for swaps. I'd imagine the internet factor, and being 20 years older (:() would significantly reduce the buzz though.

Speak for yourself ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The amount of money wasted..

Shudder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

iregk wrote: »
    That was the Orbis World Cup 90 as advertised by Brian Clough.

"it's more than a sticker album, it's a guide to the whole tour. World Cup 90 gives you...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I got an album free at the weekend in a newspaer, the stickers I got were Pienaar,Drogba,Essien,Torres,Macherano and Rio Ferdinand.

Don't think I'll buy any more stickers though. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I remember for 94 every shop in my town stocked the stickers which makes it much easier for the collector.

What's the story this time, are they well stocked? What paper was giving the album away and how much is it to buy in the shops?

I did about 95% of the world cup 94 and counting back was missing 40 cards, i should have sent off for the missing one's! (as a child im sure this seemed like a massively complicated process :mad: Doh!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I got one in the UK News of the world, when I was over in London at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Warper wrote: »
    The only way you could ever fill these things was by posting away for the stickers that were like gold-dust. I think the max you could order was 25 or 50 stickers at a time. It is still the best way to fill it but devoid of the magical moment of opening the packet only to find you now have 20 stickers of Paul Parker.

premier league 95, paul parker must have been the most common swaps everyone had... oh and david may :mad:

"it's more than a sticker album, it's a guide to the whole tour. World Cup 90 gives you...."

Anyone able to find this ad on youtube etc?

Can't find it anywhere. I remember the ads started airing coming up to Christmas 1989 and being unbelievably excited for it coming out.

Can stil hear his aul accent "World Gup Nahnety.":pac:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330406811176

23 quid! Bargain

That's the first and only one I ever completed. Still have it, and about 30 Kevin Pressmans, at home somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

It was free in NOTW last sunday.

Think its 2 quid +PP for the album will check the address on it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I remember collecting them and i was only short Nicky Butt.

Wanted to send away for him but my mother wouldn't write a check for 7p.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'm going to keep my jets cool until the official squads are announced and then, I'm on it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

redout wrote: »
    I completed the USA 94 one and still have it :D

That's the only one I did and completed just..Pele, Kempes and Maradona were the final three. I had lots of copies of The Equaliser which was the gold-dust. Well that and 40 copies of Alan Kernaghan..

Never has Ray Houghton's face been more valuable before or since.. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

Found a local shop selling the stickers, bit embarrassing buying them all the same!! Anyone know of any give away's for the album , missed the one in the paper? Or failing that where I can buy it online?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

was there chewing gum included with the stickers in '90 World Cup Panini.
    I swear i can still taste it :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I feel like it's 1984, but I still think it's great to keep it going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have an old photo of me somewhere with the album open on the Manchester United page. Around late 70s. Was so proud of getting the whole page as you had to get the whole team, crest (which I think was in two parts) and team photo and it took ages. Never let it out of my sight for months.

Would love to have held on to some of those albums down the years. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

iregk wrote: »
    I still have it at home. never completed it as there was one sticker I never got. Emilio Butragueno! I've hated him ever since.

I'll swap you for the Bobby Charlton one in the golden goals, thats the only one I'm missing! :D
    I remember filling out the form where you can send away for those last few stickers that your missing, I forgot to include that sticker number however :rolleyes: I still hold out hope that one day I will complete the collection, 20 years on.

I recall that they also included the Denmark team pages, even though they didnt qualify, presumably because Yugoslavia was in a bit of a political mess at the time. Great memories from this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I just had a flick through there and started looking over the Italian team. Roberto Mancini surely isn't 180 cm tall??

/pedantism

On topic.....I want to start collecting now too! :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Fizman wrote: »
    I just had a flick through there and started looking over the Italian team. Roberto Mancini surely isn't 180 cm tall??

/pedantism

On topic.....I want to start collecting now too! :o

He's 1.83 according to wikipedia. I wouldn't have thought it.

Oh, and it's pedantry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

He's 1.83 according to wikipedia. I wouldn't have thought it.

Oh, and it's pedantry.

Jasus. I'm 187cm and would never have imagined that I'd be barely above him. Always thought he was around the 5' 9"/ 5' 10" mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

my mother told me on the phone last week that her and my 35 year old cousin are collecting the stickers for whichever album came in one of the papers tother week

that was one of the odder things of the past month

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330406811176

23 quid! Bargain

That's the first and only one I ever completed. Still have it, and about 30 Kevin Pressmans, at home somewhere.

yeah same. the only problem is i stabbed ryan giggs & dion dublin in the head with a pen a few times cos me and my brother were fighting and he supported Utd.
    I remember in the yard Roy Keane was considered the most valuable... and I can also remember being especially cruel to my next door neighbour as he would only ever try and collect the irish players and would trade them for massive amounts.. dont think we would have finished if it wasnt for him, so if you're out there - thanks Peter :). we got 95 and 96 as well but 94 had the memories. there was also this more expensive card sticker type album for the 94 world cup if anyone remembers that. my brother managed to get the whole set though.. was really reallly cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I remember those books :D

I was mad into them until the Pokemon trading cards came out :P Although you lot would have been too old for those :pac:

The amount of my pocket money I must have spent...

• Advertisement
Advertisement