Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worms

Options
  • 20-04-2010 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

was wondering did any of you ever hear about the device that admits eletric waves into the gronds and just bring the worms up if so they come straight up to they can just be picked up off the surface for this would save many wet nights lamping for me and it is difficult to get out as i works shifts and always seem to get nights before i decide to go fishing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

get a compost bin and breed them yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

i do but for one reason or another hedgehogs etc get into them and i also find its a lure for rats

just get an ordinary plastic dust bin one with a lid that can be clamped on (some bins come with clamps on the handles for securing the lid). drill a few small 5mm diameter holes in the side of it for drainage and a few in the lid to let some rainwater in. do not cut the bottom off the bin. fill it full of old vegetables, fruit etc and throw in a few red brindle worms. keep it moist by watering in dry weather. i have found that this works very well and the rats or hedgehogs cant get into a good plastic dust bin (most purpose made compost bins are open at the end or have access doors and the rats get in via them). it will take a year or so for the worms to breed but as long as they have moist damp old fruit and veg they will live happily and they will also make you good compost. and they are far better quality and size than either lob worms (which are soft and nearly useless), or the small puny ones in the shops.
    Its worth the effort in the long run.

well by this idea does anyone no much about the device i described in the first post

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Some people say soapy water on the grass brings them up.

and wrecks the grass and poisions the worms not very eco friendly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

ferrete wrote: »
    and wrecks the grass and poisions the worms not very eco friendly
    meh do it on someone's else`s grass:D:D:D

the local golf club wouldnt like to see you coming.......................:P

Strangely enough I turn off a main road beside a golf club to get to a fishing spot .Now where can i get liquid soap by the gallon:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

In other countries they are called nightcrawlers.
    Walk the grass at night with a dim torch and a jamjar in your pocket and a gentle step. On a wet night you will get hundreds or lobworms.
    That's after you develop the necessary skills BTW. They disappear fast!

coolwings wrote: »
    In other countries they are called nightcrawlers.
    Walk the grass at night with a dim torch and a jamjar in your pocket and a gentle step. On a wet night you will get hundreds or lobworms.
    That's after you develop the necessary skills BTW. They disappear fast!
    Only after the compost heap has run out!

i use that meathod at the min but its harder an harder to get the time so im lookin for the thing that shocks them up google it if none of you no what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Ive a few paving slabs around the back garden.
    3 days before a session pop out and lift up the slabs and get a few worms.
    2 days before a session, repeat
    day before a session, repeat
    morning of session, repeat.

Ive found that there tends to be more worms if the ground is slightly damp.

The worms can be stored in a plastic tub with some shredded newspaper and peat from the garden. But be sure to keep the mixture damp.

look i no all this i just want to no where to get the shocker that bring them to the surface

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Maybe there banned in this country in case people go around shocking mexicans with there twig rod rests ???

I saw them advertised in an American tackle catalogue years ago but never saw one in the flesh.
    If purchasing mail order and personally importing it, you would want to be careful the 240V mains here don't destroy it, because the US is on 110V electricity.
    Or possibly electrocuting yourself with it as mentioned in this recall: http://recalls.justia.com/household-and-office/worm-probes/93-075/ Several places that sold them are mentioned in the recall notice if you're ok with such a product.

coolwings wrote: »
    I saw them advertised in an American tackle catalogue years ago but never saw one in the flesh.
    If purchasing mail order and personally importing it, you would want to be careful the 240V mains here don't destroy it, because the US is on 110V electricity.
    Or possibly electrocuting yourself with it as mentioned in this recall: http://recalls.justia.com/household-and-office/worm-probes/93-075/ Several places that sold them are mentioned in the recall notice if you're ok with such a product.

think i would just buy a garden fork........................ far safer, me thinks.......:rolleyes:

think i would just buy a garden fork........................ far safer, me thinks.......:rolleyes:
    where do you plug those in?;)

Wait till you stick it into an underground cable ZZZZZZZ ! :D
    Of course picking them at night you might get a sore back.
    And digging you could slip a disk.
    The OP has rats in his compost heap :rolleyes:
    Buying them .. well the banks aren't too ready with overdrafts these days ... and as for my credit card well all I can say is :eek:

Arrah sod this bait fishing lark. Anyone for fly fishing or spinning ? :p

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Just copy the gull!! tap the ground fairly rapidly to imitate rainfall.. the worms come up middlin quick to avoid drowning.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqX8lGwHyuw
    theres even a big festival/competition in england every year where they crown the best "worm charmer"!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭david_1888

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Xf95_6Wnw&feature=related

take a tip from this lad with his bongo hahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gav44

your talking about a poker it can be made very easly but is very dangerous it wont work in houses with new eletcric boards it will keep
    tripping the trip swich you get a pice of metal [a poker] get an old extension lead bare two wires wrap them around the poker the live and the neg wrap pleanty of tape around them stick the poker into the ground and plug in the plug leave it on for 20 mins or so an turn it off there will be worms everywhere its a very dangerous thing i used to have one until my neghbours dog tried to pee on it poor thing was fryed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mf100

put a load of fairy liquid in a watering can of water, sprinkle on short grass/muck and they come rushing to the surface

That works, I did it when was at the stage of trying everything once, but wash them after, or they will die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

gav44 wrote: »
    your talking about a poker it can be made very easly but is very dangerous it wont work in houses with new eletcric boards it will keep
    tripping the trip swich you get a pice of metal [a poker] get an old extension lead bare two wires wrap them around the poker the live and the neg wrap pleanty of tape around them stick the poker into the ground and plug in the plug leave it on for 20 mins or so an turn it off there will be worms everywhere its a very dangerous thing i used to have one until my neghbours dog tried to pee on it poor thing was fryed

i dont know where to start by advising DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS!!!

a very very mis-informed potentially lethal ill-advised post!!

gav44 wrote: »

:D:D if the dog was brown bread i would imagine the worms were not too healthy either.....one way to kill yourself or worse still someone else......:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭keryl

You can use fairy liquid which is the perfect weather for it now, very dry.
    It's harmful to the ground though and can damage insects so be careful of using it, maybe poor water back over where you use fairy liquid to wash it out. It's actually a bad way to get worms.

Slabs, rocks, timber-always massive worms under timber.
    or just go to your local fish tackle shop, they sell worms though probably used that electric prod thing to get them.

Advertisement