Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FREE NCT

• 20-04-2010 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭

In the Irish Daily Mail last week, there was an article that said, if you have to waite more than 4 weeks for an NCT, you are supost to get it free. Also, if you did waite more than 4 weeks and have paid, you can ask for a refund.

Anyone see the article, or tried to get a free nct???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

How will you be able to proof that it was fully booked prior and that you didn't make the appointment at least 4 weeks away for this very reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

If you ring them up and they're unable to give you a date they usually post one out.

If they don't post it out in 4 weeks you can get a free one.

If they post it out and the booking is for 10 months time you still have to pay because they got you a date within 4 weeks of you asking for one. Capice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Only works on the phone, not online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I booked over the phone the other day, and the closest date i got was June 18th. when i remarked "oh so the test will be free then, as thats more than 4 weeks" i was transferred to another dept where a lady took my mobile number and told me i'd be contacted if a sooner date became available.

i just got a call now offering my early may, but i couldnt take it as i'm on holidays then...so i was offered and took June 10th...thats still over the four weeks.... will i have to pay?

i have not had anything posted out, but have a text from them confirming it on my phone.....what happens if i'm stopped by the guards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i just got a call now offering my early may, but i couldnt take it as i'm on holidays then...so i was offered and took June 10th...thats still over the four weeks.... will i have to pay?

Yes, its only if it takes them 4 weeks to GET you a date not if the date is over 4 weeks away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

And it's an AVERAGE of four weeks. They've covered themselves every which way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

draffodx wrote: »
    Yes, its only if it takes them 4 weeks to GET you a date not if the date is over 4 weeks away
    That's the catch. They can schedule your nct for 2020 is they want. Provided the scheduling happens within 4 weeks, they're good :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

They have to DO the test within 4 weeks, NOT just give you a date for the test within 4 weeks. This has been covered here before.
    Their charter http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/nctbrochure.pdf tells you this , although not as clearly as it should.
    This is not some sort of customer service rubbish but is actually stipulated in the contract Applus + have with the government.
    DO NOT let them put you off by saying that the backlog has changed this rule or any other nonsense...they have to test your car within 4 weeks of you contacting them or the test is free.
    although the new crowd are open longer hours than the previous contract holders so things should improve in the medium term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

mgbgt1978 wrote:
    Their charter http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/nctbrochure.pdf tells you this , although not as clearly as it should.

Did you not read the "WE AIM TO:" bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Did you not read the "WE AIM TO:" bit?

Correct, they DONT have to do it within 4 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

"WE AIM TO......ensure that an average leadtime for an appointment at an
    individual test centre is less than three weeks with a free test
    if this is greater than four weeks."

They aim to ensure an average lead time of three weeks.......
    There is a free test if this is more than four weeks.

As I ,and plenty of others before me, have said this 4 week lead time is part of their contract .
    I have three cars on the road and have frequently had to point out to the nct call centre staff that i will be be expecting a free test when they couldn't give me a test date within the four weeks.....they always "found" an appointment within the time-frame, which i think proves the point.

Advertisement