Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Connemara to Galway (maybe)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Guilt prevailed all day over this mornings disaster so I did another 5 on the treadmill when I got home. 5 easy in 53 mins. It's a very special kind of madness that has me (us;)) doing things like that.

It's horrible out there this morning.
    Easy 5 in 53ish mins after my first full nights sleep for weeks!
    I really have to sort my diet out. I don't eat nearly enough carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

littlebug wrote: »
    It's horrible out there this morning.
    Easy 5 in 53ish mins after my first full nights sleep for weeks!
    I really have to sort my diet out. I don't eat nearly enough carbs.

I can't imagine not eating enough carbs! Nothing to do with training, but I don't think I could survive without potatoes, rice, pasta.... mmmm :)

ronanmac wrote: »
    I can't imagine not eating enough carbs! Nothing to do with training, but I don't think I could survive without potatoes, rice, pasta.... mmmm :)

If anything is left on my plate it's the potatoes, rice, pasta....that's if they make it to my plate at all :( I'm also really really sooo sick of porridge at this stage! Anyway I'll work on it. Energy is low so I'll just have to force the issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

The tip I got when the training started to get on top of me was the Vitamin B complex from Evergreen, pricy enough but I have never really been run down since starting on it.

Have you tried the Flahavans Hi 8, nice muesli without the nuts, topped off with banana and kiwi, the food of champions :D

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    The tip I got when the training started to get on top of me was the Vitamin B complex from Evergreen, pricy enough but I have never really been run down since starting on it.

Have you tried the Flahavans Hi 8, nice muesli without the nuts, topped off with banana and kiwi, the food of champions :D

I tend to avoid supplements but I think it would be a good idea at this stage. I'll look for that if I get into town this week.
    That muesli sounds nice but only if I can pick out the raisins :rolleyes: (no wonder my child is a fussy eater:o).
    I also need to get a gel belt (or something) for Sunday. I'm getting fed up fiddling with pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I'm also really really sooo sick of porridge at this stage!

Ambrosia Creamed Rice? I'm planning on not being able to cook/heat porridge in hotel room pre-marathon and this stuff is palatable cold.

catweazle wrote: »
    the food of champions :D

No!! Thats porridge..... Shergar, Red Rum, all ran their best races on porridge..:p

Ambrosia Creamed Rice? I'm planning on not being able to cook/heat porridge in hotel room pre-marathon and this stuff is palatable cold.

For breakfast?! I wouldn't have thought of it as breakfast food but I don't mind the stuff so no harm having it on the list.

For breakfast?! I wouldn't have thought of it as breakfast food but I don't mind the stuff so no harm having it on the list.

Ate it, closely followed by a banana and juice, before my last really LSR (17 miles) and found it grand. Try it, you never know...

I love it meself....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

There are loads of good sourses of carbs out there, its not all about oats and potatoes. Have a look here http://www.time-to-run.com/nutrition/carbos.htm

10 miles in 107.47, ave pace 10.42.
    Kept the first two over 11 with the rest between 10.37 and 10.45. Felt very comfortable until 9 miles when my tummy started to feel a bit dodgy. Still not 100% but I'll live :pac:

Didn't do my prescribed 5 miles yesterday. I'll see if I can get a few easy miles in later. I went to the bike shop for gels and belt this morning and found myself looking wistfully at, and asking about, bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Triathlon next year? :)

RayCun wrote: »
    Triathlon next year? :)

No.. that would mean swimming :eek:
    I'm actually thinking about Gaelforce as next years big challenge :eek::eek:
    As someone who has trouble with the smallest of hills that would really be a challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No.. that would mean swimming :eek:
    As someone who has trouble with the smallest of hills that would really be a challenge!

That actually sounds like a lot of fun :D

5 miles easy. Very easy.. too close to Sundays 20miler for anything more.

5 miles easy. Very easy.. too close to Sundays 20miler for anything more.

Good luck with that on Sunday. Put my last one to bed this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I was thinking the same thing:). Would be so cool if we all did it together!

Bally8 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing:). Would be so cool if we all did it together!

My thanking you for that was a big "thumbs up"! That would be great if there were a few of us doing it. We could have a gaelforce novice training thread.

• Advertisement

20 miles done :). Average time 3.36.20, (moving time 3.34.35), average pace 10.46, (moving pace 10.41), average hr 172 (max 184). Gels @ 7,11, 14 and 17. Stopped at the car at 7 and 14 for a few mins each time (Garmin off) for water swap, jellies etc.
    I intended to keep the first 3 miles over 11 mins but just couldn't :confused: I felt great heading in to the second loop and met a few other runners who were a bit quicker than me but it was nice to have a quick chat. I probably pushed a wee bit too fast while they were first behind, then alongside and then in front of me as that mile was 10.25. I started to feel the pinch towards the end of the second loop but after more jellies, gel etc I was ok heading into my third (shorter) loop. another gel at 17 and it all got much tougher then... the last 2 miles were HARD:D. The leap to 26 seems huge esp when I always struggle with the last 2 of each new distance. I just have to hope that the training this far and the taper get me to 22 maybe and then Izoard adrenaline carries me the rest of the way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done LB. You'll be fine on the day.
    The last 2 always seem tough but I think it is mostly mental: It is the fact that you know you are almost finished and can't wait to get it over. You'll enjoy running in the pacing group especially since you seem to be used to running alone. In a big group the miles just fly by...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well done LB. You'll be fine on the day.
    The last 2 always seem tough but I think it is mostly mental: It is the fact that you know you are almost finished and can't wait to get it over. You'll enjoy running in the pacing group especially since you seem to be used to running alone. In a big group the miles just fly by...

Thanks Meno. I've been in 2 minds about joining the pace group but I think I'll just go for it and see what happens. I'll never know if I don't try eh? and as you say the company will help. I actually hadn't thought of that element... quite looking forward to it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Fair play, littlebug, it'll be easier on the day (I hope/think/pray:eek::eek:). Joining a pace group is definitely a good idea. A case of "ní neart go cur le chéile!"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Great stuff out of you! That's the worst of the training over, taper time now - you seem to be well-sorted in terms of what works for you too, and that will really stand to you on the day. Taper will sort you right out and you'll get through on the day fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Great running! :p

I found the 20 to be a bit of a mind fcuk killer because I think it was when that 26.2 seemed to be more real and more un-doable than at any other time in my training plan! But on the day, I didn't feel the last 6.2 as much as I'd thought I would. The excitement and atmosphere of the occasion is not to be underestimated!
    Nothing to do now but enjoy the taper and look forward to a great day. :D

5 easy treadmill miles.. all 11+ mins. Left hamstring and knee felt a bit tight for the first mile but loosened up after that. I've been remarkably niggle free since Bjohnson worked on shins etc in August (tempts fate). I may visit him for a pre marathon tune up to be on the safe side.
    Working again this week... tomorrows 8 will either have to be on the treadmill or half mile repeats on concrete. I don't know which I dislike most:(

Working all morning... Half a dozen children in and out of the house all afternoon... mrbug late home so I was left with a nice evening treadmill session. 8 torturous (psychologically) miles.

On a more positive note... If I get as far as and through dcm without any major injury then hitting the 1000 by the end of the year might just be possible :)

On a more positive note... If I get as far as and through dcm without any major injury then hitting the 1000 by the end of the year might just be possible :)

That's the spirit;)

• Advertisement

I had resigned myself to yet another treadmill run this evening and had one mile done when himself arrived home so I was off out the door in the blink of an eye ;) I discovered that if I go as far as the end of the lights in all directions out of the village it makes up 3 miles.

Advertisement