Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Connemara to Galway (maybe)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You and meathcountysec deserve medals for your training. I'll whinge about having to run 6 laps of a park, or having to run on a bit of concrete sometimes, but you guys are putting in the long miles on treadmills, millions of laps, or having to work with what you can find in lit-up areas.
    Much respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

RayCun wrote: »
    You and meathcountysec deserve medals for your training. I'll whinge about having to run 6 laps of a park, or having to run on a bit of concrete sometimes, but you guys are putting in the long miles on treadmills, millions of laps, or having to work with what you can find in lit-up areas.
    Much respect.

Thanks Raycun but sure don't we all have to work with what we've got. Treadmill running is easier in some ways so I deserve no glory for that.
    That said Meathcountysec really does deserve a medal for his million lap field run :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

littlebug wrote: »
    I had resigned myself to yet another treadmill run this evening and had one mile done when himself arrived home so I was off out the door in the blink of an eye ;) I discovered that if I go as far as the end of the lights in all directions out of the village it makes up 3 miles.

I even go in and out of cul de sacs to add on metres, not even kms :o I'm surprised I haven't been reported yet:D

Minor panic yesterday when I had a bit of a sore throat, headache etc. The rest of the family have all got colds so I thought I was DOOMED :eek: but anyway.... after a good nights sleep I woke up feeling fine so drama over :rolleyes:
    12 miles done this morning in what to me were perfect conditions cloudy but dry with a gentle cooling breeze. It ended up being the most enjoyable run I've had for a long time. I needed that as I've been feeling like it's all been a chore lately. The garmin went on the blink at one point but while keeping the distance correct it lost a few minutes so tells me I did mile 3 in 7.15 :D I think I lost 3 minutes in there somewhere. It tells me my overall pace was 10.08 and moving pace 10.16. The truth is probably 10.20 something. I did manage 6 miles <=pmp, 4 of them in the second lap with my last mile being the fastest @ 10.02 :):) lovely lovely run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I've been feeling like it's all been a chore lately. Lovely lovely run.

Great run. I know exactly how you feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Minor panic yesterday when I had a bit of a sore throat, headache etc. The rest of the family have all got colds so I thought I was DOOMED :eek: but anyway.... after a good nights sleep I woke up feeling fine so drama over :rolleyes:
    My two cents? Take Vit C and Echinacea for the next 2 weeks until the marathon and keep the mits scrupulously clean (i.e. anti-bac wash) to ward off any random cold and flu bugs. The last thing you need is to be laid low with a stupid cold at this stage!! :(
    It ended up being the most enjoyable run I've had for a long time.
    lovely lovely run.

Nice one! Isn't it great when you get a run like that? :p
    They're the ones to have in the bag for those days when the morale just isn't there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

12 miles done this morning in what to me were perfect conditions cloudy but dry with a gentle cooling breeze. It ended up being the most enjoyable run I've had for a long time. I needed that as I've been feeling like it's all been a chore lately. The garmin went on the blink at one point but while keeping the distance correct it lost a few minutes so tells me I did mile 3 in 7.15 :D I think I lost 3 minutes in there somewhere. It tells me my overall pace was 10.08 and moving pace 10.16. The truth is probably 10.20 something. I did manage 6 miles <=pmp, 4 of them in the second lap with my last mile being the fastest @ 10.02 :):) lovely lovely run.

thats great that you managed to get that run under your belt LB, especially considering your cold.

Have the damn thing myself now. Funny, been getting a daily cold once every week or two for a few months now. I put it down to all the hard training and the immune system been shot, and of course thats when the sneaky little germs will squeeze in ;)

Normally its only a head cold, but the one I have now feels worse. Better now than in 2wks time I suppose :rolleyes:
    Suppose to run 5 or 6mls later, will see how I feel.

Thanks Emer and Speedy,
    the "daily cold" thing is a funny phenomenon. I suppose it means your body is just quite good at fighting it off and not letting it take hold. I still feel like it's just hovering there on the brink waiting for me to let my guard down :eek: or maybe it's taper madness...

I can't believe i just said how much I enjoyed a 12 mile run. The other good thing about Sundays run was that my hr stayed low (for me) for most of it.... well it stayed at the usual level even though I was a wee bit faster than usual. For me to run 12 miles comfortably at 10.20 average is great... compared to dying in the Galway hm 5 weeks ago at 10.19 average.
    I'm still undecided on pmp. Sundays run tells me to go with the 4.30 pacers or occasionally I get a mad thought of maybe even being ahead of them. Then I get a crisis of confidence and think I'm nuts to even consider 4.30 as a target.
    I'll probably end up starting with them and see how it goes....

this morning- 4 very easy miles. I love these cold misty mornings.

I had the morning off working from home :pac: so with one eye on the pc for incoming e-mails and the phone within reach I drummed out 6 miles on the treadmill. Tired. Gotta stop eating crAp.

I had the morning off working from home :pac: so with one eye on the pc for incoming e-mails and the phone within reach I drummed out 6 miles on the treadmill. Tired. Gotta stop eating crAp.

I just went to make myself a coffee LB, and I swear the chocolate digestive's were winking at me ;) .

Yesterday they were giving out free pastries in the building somewhere, I had to almost tie myself to the chair to stop myself going down to get some :rolleyes:

Was explaining to the BH that I am going crazy these days and trying to stop myself from eating all around me like I usually do. Now that I'm not running as much and have all this time on my hands, I am like a caged lion pacing up & down the kitchen.
    And don't even get me started on the beer, haven't had a damn pint for almost 2 months, this can't be good for me ..............................

• Advertisement

Speedy44 wrote: »
    , I am like a caged lion pacing up & down the kitchen. ...

:D I know that one.... opening cupboard doors then closing them again with a smack on the wrist but knowing that I'll eventually give in. I don't know if I'm always this bad or if it's just more obvious now. It would explain why I haven't lost any weight during this training cycle :o

:D I know that one.... opening cupboard doors then closing them again with a smack on the wrist but knowing that I'll eventually give in. I don't know if I'm always this bad or if it's just more obvious now. It would explain why I haven't lost any weight during this training cycle :o

did I tell you about the experiment I did a few weeks ago before a 20 miler in Annaghdown? I weighed myself just before I went out the door and immediately again when I got back. I was reading that to figure out how much water you should consume during a marathon or LSR, it would be a good idea just to see how much weight you lose.

6.8lbs, I couldn't believe it :eek:, think I'll be carrying one of those 5 litre water containers you see in the offices on my back during DCM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I am eating all around me too, and I don't care :o I justify it by saying, 'oh sure you'll run it off later'. I could not have a cuppa without a biscuit or three! :D

Great run there aswell, I love runs like that where everything just feels good.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    6.8lbs, I couldn't believe it :eek:

:eek: 2-3 lbs difference wouldn't be unusual for me but nearly half a stone !

Thursday 3 easy.

Sunday- found it hard to get out of bed and get moving but I eventually did. 8 miles. Kept the pace steady after a slow first mile. Average pace 10.36.
    Glad to have it over with. I really -can't-imagine myself running 26.2 miles next week !

I really -can't-imagine myself running 26.2 miles next week !

Keep the faith littlebug! You'll be grand. :)
    I'll be watching out for all the boards-ies next week. Wear something identifiable? :p:rolleyes:
    Good luck with the last week of training.

Emer911 wrote: »
    Wear something identifiable? :p:rolleyes:

I'll be the one all in black ;) with tears of pain and misery streaming down my face.... you'll be at mile 6 right? :pac:

3 slow miles. I'm not even bothering timing this weeks runs though with the amount that I ate today this one was probably embarrassingly slow :o Feeling a bit sluggish overall. That "almost got a cold" feeling continues and I have a teeny tiny little cough.

I was so paranoid about twisting an ankle in a pothole in the dark that I did todays 4 miles on the treadmill (11, 10, 10, 10.40). My left hip that used to bother me in my pre-orthotics days has been playing up a bit. I think i'll be packing a couple of nurofen in my gel belt. After a 5k in the summer my hip seized up completely... what will I be like after 26 miles :eek: Other than that my legs felt fine.
    Little tickly cough remains a little tickly cough but didn't interfere with (or get worse by) running.

2.8 miles around the village in the half light and the drizzle. That's it. All done now. Nothing to do but pack my bag and wait :) Left hip still a little bit iffy but hopefully the few days rest will sort it out. Despite the hip thing my legs feel rested. Niggly cough eased today but I think it may have been due to excessive sawdust in the kitchen rather than anything else.
    I still have no idea what my pmp is :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Well done littlebug, great to have it all done. I know what you mean about pace, I change my mind at least twice a day.

Well congrats on the last days training! Nearly there now :D

Advice on PMP (not that I'm an expert!!!)
    I printed off 2 pace bands. One 'easy' and one a bit more challenging. Then I ignored both and aimed to keep my pace somewhere between them. What can I say... I'm a wuss, but it worked for me - sorted out my head anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Best of luck on Monday Littlebug!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck LB, what time are you aiming for? I printed off a 4:15 pace band. No idea if I'll stick to it though... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done Littlebug, you will have to add Dublin to your log title. Don't get too hung up on time goals, that was my mistake just go out and enjoy yourself. Hopefully we might see you in Connemara tackling the full next year (I will probably only do the half myself though :o)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Best of luck LB, what time are you aiming for?
    Now there's a question :rolleyes: I think I'll start with the 4.30 pacers and try to stick with them to half way. If I'm feeling good at that point i'll see if I can push on a bit (as per Tunguskas mile by mile guide) and if I'm not feeling so good I'll hold back and aim to finish - whenever I can and enjoy it :p
    catweazle wrote: »
    Well done Littlebug, you will have to add Dublin to your log title. Don't get too hung up on time goals, that was my mistake just go out and enjoy yourself. Hopefully we might see you in Connemara tackling the full next year (I will probably only do the half myself though :o)

It should probably be Connemara to Galway and back again via Dublin. T the minute I think next up will be Athenry-Craughwell- Connemara (Half). Not a chance of me doing the full in Connemara!

Tickly cough has got a little bit worse this morning. All thoughts of targets may go out the window if it doesn't improve over the weekend. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Best of luck, littlebug. Your thread is a testimony to putting in the training despite having to juggle kids, work and injury (I don't mean literally, of course. The ISPCC would most like frown on kid-juggling as an activity :)).

Are you heading to McGrattan's afterwards?

2.8 miles around the village in the half light and the drizzle. That's it. All done now. Nothing to do but pack my bag and wait :) Left hip still a little bit iffy but hopefully the few days rest will sort it out. Despite the hip thing my legs feel rested. Niggly cough eased today but I think it may have been due to excessive sawdust in the kitchen rather than anything else.
    I still have no idea what my pmp is :o

great feeling eh, to have it all done. Now comes the easy part :D
    Best of luck LB, enjoy the day.

ronanmac wrote: »
    Are you heading to McGrattan's afterwards?

I don't know... I intend getting the 5.45 back to Galway so it all depends what time I finish at and arrangements with friends for picking up bags etc. If I go back to their house I might not have time :( but if I go back to their house I can shower :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you don't show up at McGrattans for at least one you can never show your face in the novices thread again :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

(oh, go on, it's right beside the finish. You can have one drink and then go shower etc)

Advertisement