Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Connemara to Galway (maybe)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

littlebug wrote: »
    Thurday: 3 mile walk. Residual pain and stiffness is wearing off by the minute. The right side of my knee where I had the problem on Monday is fine for walking but quite tender to touch compared to anywhere else so there's obviously some inflammation there. I'll do the same route tomorrow and see if I can run some of it. I'll also see if I can get in to Bjohnson soon and get his verdict on it (incidentally he ran a great marathon himself !)
    I need to average 20 miles per week from next week on if I want to hit 1000 by the end of the year. That feels like a tall enough order just now given that I don't want to go much over 6 (if at all) before Christmas and Athenry.

I think BJohnson actually ran the marathon in a pair of FiveFingers... I haven't spoken to him yet but I'm looking forward to his review!

I worked out today that I would need to average 30 miles a week between now and the end of the year to meet my 1000 mile target, and seeing as my biggest mileage week during marathon training was 34 miles, there's fat chance of that happening!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

ronanmac wrote: »
    I think BJohnson actually ran the marathon in a pair of FiveFingers... I haven't spoken to him yet but I'm looking forward to his review!

I worked out today that I would need to average 30 miles a week between now and the end of the year to meet my 1000 mile target, and seeing as my biggest mileage week during marathon training was 34 miles, there's fat chance of that happening!!:D

I think we should badger Bjohnson into starting a log. I like that he has different methods and ideas ie fivefingers and chia seeds (no gels) etc so it would be an interesting read!

hmmm 30 miles a week post marathon... maybe not!

3 miles. 2 slow jog with half mile walk either side.
    right knee hurts a bit. left knee hurt a lot after 1 mile running :( Appt tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

3 miles. 2 slow jog with half mile walk either side.
    right knee hurts a bit. left knee hurt a lot after 1 mile running :( Appt tomorrow.

Good to hear you're back running and best of luck with physio tomorrow!

For the first time since DCM I'm itching to run again.... a few days imposed rest was very much needed I think. I've had 2 visits to BJohnson to sort out the ITB and after another visit tomorrow I'll do a short trial run to see how it is and take it from there. The extra week off probably means I won't hit 1000 for the year but the longer term gains are more important just now.

• Advertisement

3 easy trial treadmill miles with only one teeny niggle so small it could have been imaginary :)

Eta. just registered for Athenry 10k on 26th Dec and Connemara Half on April 10th :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey LB, I also signed up for the Connemara Half yesterday. If I can get through the next 5 weeks and Waterford in one piece I'd really love to and settle into a decent training plan for Connemara. I'm still trying to re-focus and get back on track since my post-Dublin-Half blip. I have similar goals for next year to what you've completed this year (Connemara Half, first marathon, a good 5k time etc) so I feel like I'll be hanging around your log quite a bit like the shady character I am! What was your pre-Connemara running career like? I reckon I'm probably 12 months behind you!

Well done on your great work to date! :D

claralara wrote: »
    pre-Connemara running career like?

(Note if you don't want to read the epic below then the nutshell version is ...train on hills and whatever you think your HM time should be add a few minutes for this particular HM)

Well that made me lol:D:D Claralara you're already way faster and better than me!
    My running career started in Feb last year and progress was slow but I was loosing a lot of weight at the time too. In the space of that first year my 10k time went from 1 hr 8 mins to just under 58 mins. My best 5k that year was 29.20ish I think and 8k in 45 something. This year has been kind of disappointing.... I did the 10mile in Craughwell in 1 hr 39.30 having not run for a few weeks with injury. Connemara was a few weeks later and the hill stopped me in my tracks so I finished in 2.22.
    Post connemara I did a few 5 ks in the summer all between 27-29 mins but again injury affected me. I should have been able for 2.10 in the Galway half but again the hills got me and I was 5 mins slower. Then there was the marathon which was a wonderful experience but a running disaster :( So it hasn't been a great year really.
    There are a few things that hold me back.
    1. life :D work, kids + Mrbugs long work hours mean my time for running is limited. Unfortunately this means a lot of treadmill runs esp in winter and I have no doubt whatsoever that this holds me back. Cross training is non existent. However I don't think there's a lot I can do about that . I have to make do with what I've got.
    2. Hills..... I just can't do hills.... the smallest of bumps sets my HR sky high and even after a medium sized hill I just don't get back to where I was before. Weight may be part of the problem here.... could do with losing half a stone.

So once I get back into proper training this time I'm going to change a few things.
    1. If I can't avoid the treadmill then just be smarter about it and use it for speedwork rather than just banging out the miles.
    2. Hills.... this is my biggy! This time in order to train for the Hill of the West I intend to train on the Hill of the West:D I'm not terribly far from it here so getting over there even once a fortnight in the spring time shouldn't be too difficult. On the other weeks I have Knockma closer to me to train on.
    3. Niggles and injuries....get all niggles seen to before they become injuries;)

I bet you're sorry you asked now :P but actually it's made me reflect on it all a bit more so thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Eta. just registered for Athenry 10k on 26th Dec and Connemara Half on April 10th :)

Ha very sneaky - get in and sign up for that half marathon before you can even think about the full. I must decide myself what I will do over there, the pain of last year is long forgotten at this stage!

I must start going to Knockma myself I don't even know where it is and I am only down the road from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Make sure you run it from both sides. I'd be interested to hear which side you think is harder.

What are your thoughts LB? Personally I find going left tougher but I know a lot that think going right is.

Just saw your DCM update now LB. Well done on completing. Glad to see you are back doing a bit.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Make sure you run it from both sides. .

I think going left is a lot harder. There seems to be a bit more respite between steep bits if you go right.
    I haven't been there for months.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Can you go up that hill in google maps LB, or do I have to just look up it wistfully and imagine the horrors ahead, I can seem to only go left or right??

Is it off road as well or is tarmac all the way (catweazle likes tarmac)

I have a feeling my plan to keep HR below 150 till January will be out the window going up that

I see there is a castle for sale up that road too lol

Smart answer: Going up the hill in google maps would be the easiest way but no you actually have to use your feet to get up there :pac:
    Proper answer: no the google map car didn't go up the hill or even in to the car park.

There is tarmac only as far as you can see in that picture. then you veer off up a gravel lane which is horribly steep to where the loop branches off and it becomes more trail like with stones, tree roots, wet leaves sometimes... all that good stuff! No nice soft tarmac. Expect high hr!

catweazle wrote: »
    Can you go up that hill in google maps LB, or do I have to just look up it wistfully and imagine the horrors ahead, I can seem to only go left or right??

Is it off road as well or is tarmac all the way (catweazle likes tarmac)

I have a feeling my plan to keep HR below 150 till January will be out the window going up that

I see there is a castle for sale up that road too lol

Forget tarmac. It's a trail / gravel run. The carpark has tarmac but that's it. It's a cracking run. Start with 2 laps - one to the right first and then go left for the 2nd. No way you'll keep your HR low for it. No harm in doing one hill session a week where the HR jumps up. :D

5 miles with a friend this morning after a very late night/ far too early morning, followed by a fantastic fry :D Good to be out again on a bright, sunny but cool and crisp morning. What storm :confused: Oh yeah that one that's blowin' out there now:eek:... what a difference a few hours makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

(Note if you don't want to read the epic below then the nutshell version is ...train on hills and whatever you think your HM time should be add a few minutes for this particular HM)

Well that made me lol:D:D Claralara you're already way faster and better than me!
    My running career started in Feb last year and progress was slow but I was loosing a lot of weight at the time too. In the space of that first year my 10k time went from 1 hr 8 mins to just under 58 mins. My best 5k that year was 29.20ish I think and 8k in 45 something. This year has been kind of disappointing.... I did the 10mile in Craughwell in 1 hr 39.30 having not run for a few weeks with injury. Connemara was a few weeks later and the hill stopped me in my tracks so I finished in 2.22.
    Post connemara I did a few 5 ks in the summer all between 27-29 mins but again injury affected me. I should have been able for 2.10 in the Galway half but again the hills got me and I was 5 mins slower. Then there was the marathon which was a wonderful experience but a running disaster :( So it hasn't been a great year really.
    There are a few things that hold me back.
    1. life :D work, kids + Mrbugs long work hours mean my time for running is limited. Unfortunately this means a lot of treadmill runs esp in winter and I have no doubt whatsoever that this holds me back. Cross training is non existent. However I don't think there's a lot I can do about that . I have to make do with what I've got.
    2. Hills..... I just can't do hills.... the smallest of bumps sets my HR sky high and even after a medium sized hill I just don't get back to where I was before. Weight may be part of the problem here.... could do with losing half a stone.

So once I get back into proper training this time I'm going to change a few things.
    1. If I can't avoid the treadmill then just be smarter about it and use it for speedwork rather than just banging out the miles.
    2. Hills.... this is my biggy! This time in order to train for the Hill of the West I intend to train on the Hill of the West:D I'm not terribly far from it here so getting over there even once a fortnight in the spring time shouldn't be too difficult. On the other weeks I have Knockma closer to me to train on.
    3. Niggles and injuries....get all niggles seen to before they become injuries;)

I bet you're sorry you asked now :P but actually it's made me reflect on it all a bit more so thanks!

Not at all, I'm delighted I asked. It's really interesting and motivating to read everyone else's stories. Thanks for the reply. As I've said before, I really admire those of you who have families and still manage to get the training in. It's so impressive! You actually made me go off and think back over my last 12 months and it was good reflection time!

Thanks for the hill advice - I suppose I should pay heed...yikes. I'll have to go and search out some small mounds around and get going on them. I might leave that until after Waterford at this stage though.

Here's hoping you've put all those injuries behind you and best of luck with the upcoming training :) I'll be watching... ;)

Still feeling tired and sluggish after the weekends shenanigans and being tied to the house/ treadmill again I found it hard to motivate myself this evening. It struck me how easy it would be to let things slide at the minute so I gave myself a swift kick and upped and at it. To make things slightly more interesting I did 3 miles on the TM barefoot ! I kept it slow and easy just to keep myself more in tune with what was going on with my feet. You know it didn't feel bad at all.... definitely a different footfall, much more midfoot than heel strike. I'm not entirely sure why it sounds twice as loud though :confused: Somehow the 3 miles gave me a burst of extra energy so after that I did my sit up "test" www.twohundredsitups.com which I did ok enough to start the programme at week 3. That'll start on wednesday. After that I attempted www.hundredpushups.com which didn't go so well :o and I had to resort to kitchen counter pushups rather than floor! After all that exertion I did 20 mins on the exercise bike, 5 easy mins, 7 hardish , 3 very hard and 5 easy.
    I feel great now :)

The motivation for all this? yeah there's an event..... and a frock :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Time for a change of title for this training log..

From Connemara to a Frock (definitely) :D:D

• Advertisement

From Connemara to a Frock (definitely) :D:D

Well there will definitely be a frock but whether it'll be "the" frock remains to be seen :P

I do need a title change though. Maybe I'll sit this one out til the end of the year and start a new one/ new goals then.

new goals then.

Tell me more.... ;)

(passing time here, watching Pat Kenny, thinking of going out for a run when he's finished)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

The motivation for all this? yeah there's an event..... and a frock :o

Something you want to tell us LB? ;)

Well just to help you pass the time MCS :pac:

Eh I'm not sure yet. Craughwell 10m and Connemara half are definites. After that I'm not sure what direction it will go. I have been wanting to get cycling again for a while so if that happens then I could go the route of Gaelforce or Achill Roar... but that would mean no marathon... and I also do want to do (read run:rolleyes:) another marathon.
    The bike thing would have financial implications. My old 80 euro mountain bike with poetry on it mightn't get me far :D so the finances might be the deciding point.

Blueskye wrote: »
    Something you want to tell us LB? ;)

hah? no no I'm not getting married again or anything. I'm not quite celebrity enough to do that whole renewal of vows thing :pac:

Well just to help you pass the time MCS :pac:

Could have done with some help passing the time during the DCM :D:D

I had said no, never, ever, again. Some of you doubted me. You were right. I had unfinished business with the Lakes 10K and now the DCM. :rolleyes:

How do I break it to her indoors that its on the table for consideration? :eek:

How do I break it to her indoors that its on the table for consideration? :eek:

Our conversation went like this.
    Me: I know I've done the marathon but I still can't say I've run a marathon.
    Him: sure you'll run the next one.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Our conversation went like this.
    Me: I know I've done the marathon but I still can't say I've run a marathon.
    Him: sure you'll run the next one.

:D

Ah, that's sweet, they mean well. I came home from work yesterday and OH had bought me thermal running underwear from Lidl. Talk about cosy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

jcsmum wrote: »
    Ah, that's sweet, they mean well. I came home from work yesterday and OH had bought me thermal running underwear from Lidl. Talk about cosy! :D

Whoever said Romance is dead is clearly wrong ;)

• Advertisement

I know I had great intentions of not running on the treadmill so much but I was NOT going out in that!
    1 mile slow warm up... 11 something then I decided to push it a bit and over the next mile upped the paces from 6.5 mph to 7.3 finishing the mile in 9 mins and slowed down again for the third (9.30).

I followed this with week 3, day 1 of twohundredsitups ie reps of 18, 25, 19,19, 25 with 1 minute rest in between, then 3 reps of 10 pathetic attempts at pushups.
    20 mins on the exercise bike, 5 easy, 10 hard, 5 easy.
    A good workout overall :)

Advertisement