Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Connemara to Galway (maybe)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

A woman is allowed to change her mind isn't she:confused: I knew when I woke this morning counting times and miles in my head that the chances of me taking it easy in Castlebar were slim(ming). Going up there to get my number and chatting to some old club mates, driving the route (which is lovely apart from a killer hill in the first mile ) has gotten me in the mood. I did 3.2 slow on the treadmill this evening to test out the shins etc. I won't decide til the morning... or maybe on the start line :o Decisions on Tuam on Tuesday will be made accordingly afterwards.

littlebug wrote: »
    . At the minute I'd say I'll do Castlebar slow

:rolleyes: so I am officially full of sh1te.
    Not a great nights sleep in advance and I woke up feeling more nervous about this one than any of the other races I've done lately... to the extent of actually feeling sick. I think in my head I had been putting pressure on myself to try to keep up with someone who I knew is generally a bit faster than me. On the way up to Castlebar I decided this would be utter madness and decided to stay further back in the crowd so as to avoid temptation! The mall in Castlebar was buzzin with 3000 wimmins... some of them looking fit and fast and others wearing all the right gear with fag in hand. In fairness the overall aim of the race was about the fundraising so fair play to people for getting out there. I didn't manage a decent warm up before the race before the crowds were steered into separate running/ jogging and walking sections. The gun went and off we trotted. Before we'd even left the mall I was being blocked by walkers..... with all the shouting and marshalling going on they can't possibly have not known that they shouldn't have been there so it has to have been sheer bloody minded brazenness:mad:.
    I digress... down the main street and at .13 mile hit the killer hill (about 30 metres in .16 miles). Between there and half way the route was undulating but the downhill bits never seemed to be enough to make up for the uphills. Together with a strong headwind I was finding it really tough. At half way we turned off the main road, away from the wind and a welcome downhill. Hitting halfway at spot on 30 minutes I wondered about the wisdom of not doing this as an lsr as originally planned:(. By mile 4 the crowds thinned a bit and I found my energy sagging and morale low. 5-6 I seemed to pick it up again and thankfully there was a nice downhill back into town. The last .2 was back up the main street so I slowed a bit again there. There was a great buzz back on the mall at the finish line and it was nice to have Mrbug and the little bugs there to cheer me on. I stopped the garmin at 58.40 a couple of seconds after crossing the line so 58.3*, a negative split by 1.20:) . so more than half a minute off (slower than) my pb but given that I raced on Tuesday and the hard first half with hills and wind I'm very very happy with that!
    Splits 9.41/9.19/9.18/ 9.18/9.37/9.18 (+ 2.2 in 2.08). What's with all the 9.18s? Have I actually got a 10k pace?:D

Now.... eh... Tuam on Tuesday :D

I should add.... great organisation by Mayo Sports Partnership, a great buzz at the start and finish with music, bouncy castle, food stalls, physio tent etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done, littlebug. Ran it myself and the 1st half was a killer. At least the rain held off. Good luck in Tuam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congrats, nice run :)

*crosses fingers for another PB for ya in Tuam!*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Well done on showing such restraint:D

Now, give it a lash on Tuesday. You deserve it:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hey littlebug, I've only just saw your new training log, I was wondering where you had gotten to and you had been here all along doing some great running!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

The mall in Castlebar was buzzin with 3000 wimmins... some of them looking fit and fast and others wearing all the right gear with fag in hand.

Typical the one day I am not in Castlebar, I would have been in my element. Well done on the time, worried about a tight hamstring myself so I am skipping Tuam this week too. Hope it goes well for you.

catweazle wrote: »
    Typical the one day I am not in Castlebar, I would have been in my element. .

lol :D you would've loved it cw

Anyhoo..

Another day, another race and another pb :D
    I wouldn't call this a flat route by any means but it worked very well for me for some reason.
    Garmin time 26.55 :D clock time 27.05 I think when I was passing through. I'll put my hand up I had trouble getting a gps signal and was over the line a few seconds before it kicked in so "real" time is probably 27:00... or thereabouts.... but man oh man seeing that 26 on the watch when I stopped the timer has made me hungry for the real deal.
    I am delighted with the improvement from last week (esp with a 10k race in between). I'll do a proper analysis tomorrow.... I'm shattered now!

Stormin' run LB. Don't worry about the gps. It will only affect your pace/distance not time. The timer doesn't wait for a satellite signal.

Stormin' run LB. Don't worry about the gps. It will only affect your pace/distance not time. The timer doesn't wait for a satellite signal.

I "think" I was already over the line a few seconds before I hit the timer but in my mind it was no more than 2-4. The results are up now and I mis-read the clock and was 10 seconds out (eyes and brain not working what with all the blood gone to my legs!) but that still only tells me gun time but makes more sense. I think I'll stick with "around 27" so as not to claim something I didn't do!

Post race analysis- I took catweazles advice and started further up the field but possibly a bit too far this time. The race started with short downhill leading into what looked like a long uphill. Starting so far forward meant I started a lot faster than usual but felt good and strong so kept it going. At half a mile it turned to a lovely downhill section for the next half mile and beyond. The strong start and downhill led to me running my fastest mile ever in 8.21:). A lot of mile 2 was gentle uphill so I was slower but still going strong (9.11). Mile 3 started out fairly flat and then there was a really stinkin' hill which put a halt to my gallop but I managed it surprisingly well. I'd driven the route earlier so I knew that it was short and that once at the top I'd be at 4k and it was downhill from there. Despite the hill I ran the third mile in 8.48 with 33 seconds recorded for the .03. (presumably gps kicked in at.07).
    Switching to k's I see I ran the last k in 5.02:D

Lesson learned- don't leave gps til the last minute!

Galway 5k series comparison table.

Race Time (watch) Ave pace Ave HR
    Athenry 27.54 8.57 190
    Tuam 26.55 + a few 8.45 185
    Craughwell
    Claregalway
    Loughrea
    Dangan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

That's some improvement on your PB in such a short period of time, littlebug... Going by your times so far, Dangan should be a 22:50 finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Great running littlebug. Well done on another PB. It was a great evening for it last night. Conditions were ideal. I even managed a PB myself so was well pleased. :cool:

I was wondering if that was a pb or not gibbo, well done. Is that Nigel Killeen from the Bish at 17.27, I thought I saw him out there in Athenry. I always put him down as a rocker and not a runner, super time from him.

I was wondering if that was a pb or not gibbo, well done. Is that Nigel Killeen from the Bish at 17.27, I thought I saw him out there in Athenry. I always put him down as a rocker and not a runner, super time from him.

Cheers. That's Nigel alright. He's flying. I spotted him at the 5k series last year too. He's around 2mins or more faster this year than last. Great to see improvements like that. Gives the rest of us hope. :cool:

ronanmac wrote: »
    ... Going by your times so far, Dangan should be a 22:50 finish!

In my dreams Ronan:rolleyes:

Congrats on the pb pgibbo. You fast guys at the front always make it look so effortless.
    I think that long downhill bit in the first mile made the difference last night for a lot of people. That was probably my moment of glory... I hear claregalway is pretty brutal with hills.

In my dreams Ronan:rolleyes:

Congrats on the pb pgibbo. You fast guys at the front always make it look so effortless.
    I think that long downhill bit in the first mile made the difference last night for a lot of people. That was probably my moment of glory... I hear claregalway is pretty brutal with hills.

Cheers littlebug but I'm a long way off the fast guys. I have aspirations though! :D

Clareglaway ain't that bad. Saying that I'll probably die a death there but we'll see. One long hill followed by a short one and then a nice downhill finish. A doddle compared to Knock Ma.

pgibbo wrote: »
    . A doddle compared to Knock Ma.

Ah yes that bump I can see on the horizon. I drove past it on Tuesday with the same feeling I used to get when I'd go into a Church after long absences :o . The Catholic guilt is long gone now but seems to have been replaced by knockma guilt !

Tonight.. back at track after another long absence. The legs weren't too happy about it so I took it easy and walked a few laps in between slow laps. Left hip (gluteus medius I believe) is really playing up now. It's not an injury as such but a long standing recurrent thing for which I've had steroid injections in the past which worked wonderfully for 3-4 months but I don't particularly want to go down that route. Dry needling has been somewhat successful but :eek: eek it has to be the most horrible treatment out there. I'll try for a sports massage next week and hope that will loosen things up a bit. I can't quite figure out how to work that bit with the foam roller :confused:

Last week was a low mileage week as the legs were not happy with proceedings earlier in the week. I took an extra rest day and attempted a slow 6 this morning. it turned out to be slower than slow run with frequent stretch stops and walk breaks. I would have walked more only I had to be back home by 10.30 for local communion day duties. I'm not injured... when my muscles get to the point of being so tight that they hurt I just don't seem to be able to sort it out myself without intervention. Last time I had a sports massage I was right as rain again in 2 days. My usual person isn't available for a few weeks and I'm reluctant to go to the physio after expensive disaster that was the orthotics which aren't only uncomfortable but actually cut into my foot:( So I'll have to rethink...
    For now the kids have been ousted out the door and told to come home when they're hungry :cool: and I'm going to spend the day icing and stretching and rolling. Craughwell is probably off the cards for Tuesday but that's no harm.

So kids the moral of the story is.... don't run 3 races in 8 days :o

Anybody in the club able to recommend someone to you? You bounced back so well last time it seems a pity to be sidelined/hamstrung for a few weeks:(

I gave Craughwell a miss tonight which is driving me nuts just about now! I'm completely wound up from work today and feel the need to move legs fast(ish) but common sense tells me not to. I'll try a slow treadmill run tomorrow with stretches between miles and see how it goes. Overall my legs feel much better but the hip still hurts a bit. I'll go to track night on Thursday and see how I go. I have an appt on Friday and will take advice accordingly. I think I should schedule a once a month sports massage just to keep me ticking over. In the long run it would cost me less than weekly physio bills when things get out of hand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Do you do any stretching after the races?
    I'm desperate for not doing a single stretch after a race, but will spend probably 10 mins after each training run
    If I'd done 3 races in 8 days and no stretching I'd probably have to ask Mrs DB to tie my shoe laces for me :rolleyes:
    I remember one night in a circuits class I couldn't lift my knee to the level of my hip, let alone past it. I did two things to make it better, firstly I stopped going to circuits (:p) and secondly started doing lots of long slow stretching, working on; calves, quads, groin, hamstring, ITB in that order, sometimes I'll give the glutes an aul go as well.
    Touch wood I've been injury free since I ramped up the stretching.
    Just some thoughts, congrats on your fine recent running form as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Congrats on your running recently - Galway certainly was a success for you. Pity about the injury but fingers crossed you'll right as rain again in no time. PMA eh?! Dusty has provided some sound advice there which I'm going to take advantage of given my own state of affairs after sunday... Keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

DustyBin wrote: »
    Touch wood I've been injury free since I ramped up the stretching.

See what I get for tempting fate with typing the likes of the above? :rolleyes:
    Am facing a week with no running now, but can swim and cycle away at least. :o

DustyBin wrote: »
    See what I get for tempting fate with typing the likes of the above? :rolleyes:
    Am facing a week with no running now, but can swim and cycle away at least. :o

Oh dear :( we're all only step away from injury at all times :eek: (minor drama queen moment).

Last weeks soreness combined with the work week from hell (make that 2 weeks- I'm still at it) has meant little running. Bloomin' students have no idea of what we have to do when they've swanned off after handing everything in (or not :mad:). This time of year is a right pain in the ass. Speaking of which :pac: I have weak glutes.... I need to work on that. Combined with serious overpronation on the left means has led to the hip pain thing. I really have to try with the orthotics or this isn't going to get any better. I'll wear them tomorrow in Claregalway which will be an "easing myself back into it " run rather than a race. Very low mileage last week.... Sundays effort at 6.2 (which got wiped from the table) and then nothing til 4 on the treadmill on Saturday. Back on track this week hopefully.

Galway 5k series comparison table.

Race Time (watch) Ave pace Ave HR
    Athenry 27.54 8.57 190
    Tuam 26.55 + a few 8.45 185
    Craughwell N/A N/A N/A
    Claregalway 28.07 9.02 166
    Loughrea
    Dangan

I went over to Claregalway with the intention of taking this one easy given that my hip is still niggly and it was my first time racing with the orthotics. I learned my lesson from pushing too hard the last time (and those 3 races in quick sucession:rolleyes:). Claregalway was horribly wet and puddly. I did a slow warm up mile-ish followed by lots of stretches. Over to the start and found myself at the back again but wasn't bothered. The start was slow and slower again once we turned off the main road onto a very narrow boithrín made even narrower by people avoiding the HUGE puddles. So there was much bobbing and weaving again. I wasn't paying much heed to time but did notice myself speeding up once the crowds thinned a bit. I clocked the first mile at 8.44. A bit bit fast for someone who was taking it easy :rolleyes:but I knew there was a big hill at half way and I'd be slowing down then so I kept up the pace temporarily. I hit the hill which was horrible and my hip/foot conservation urge kicked in and I walked :D . Walk/ran the rest of the hill happily. There were people passing me but I actually think I passed most of them again on the other side. Despite the walk I finished the 2nd mile in 9.36. Some downhill was followed by more uphill and I walked a little bit yet again. I knew the last k was downhill so I decided to keep some oomph for that. Mile 3 in 8.54 and I put the boot down for the last bit (the last .3 to.4 was under 8 min pace). I think my clock time was identical to Athenry funnily enough. My garmin says my moving time was 27.53. Yes I walked but I didn't stop so I don't know that that's all about :confused:. I'm actually very happy with this run for a few reasons. First... I wasn't much slower than the first race despite the walk breaks and much less effort. Second (and related) my heart rate was waaayyy lower... yes the walks affected the average but the max was 179 compared to 196/199 for the other two races so somethings working.
    I did a nice slow cooldown mile (compared to Tuam where I had difficulty walking afterwards) and lots of stretches. Felt the hip when I got out of the car again but no where nearly as bad. I've a couple of small blisters on my arches from the orthotics..... they were wearable but uncomfortable. I do accept that they are a necessity so I'll just have to work on it.
    All in all- happy with tonights race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Great account littlebug.

Sounds like you had a great race! :)

Nice one littlebug the times are up on red tag if you want to check

http://www.redtagtiming.com/

Nice one littlebug the times are up on red tag if you want to check

http://www.redtagtiming.com/

Thanks CW. Gosh that's impressively quick. It was actually my highest placing yet :) by 23 places since Athenry and 11 since Tuam. I notice Mrak and Seres won again. Good on 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Well done, littlebug. That was only a fraction slower than your first 5k despite the walk and the hills. The start of a pain-free recovery hopefully!

• Advertisement

I haven't run since Tuesday. No excuses.... I just need a serious kick up the rear end :o

Advertisement