Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Connemara to Galway (maybe)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

71226288_4bed47b736.jpg

Like this? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

owwwww! Yes that's the one :D
    I've actually just realised I'm not going to get "out" for a run today either. Gawd but the treadmill is torture in this heat. Whatever happens this evening I'll definitely head out early for a slow 6 miler in the morning.

I've just written last week off completely :rolleyes:
    Motivation has been low so I decided to over to Annaghdown and run the route of the summer solstice 10k for a change of scenery. I started out at 8.30am to be done before the real heat kicked in. It's a lovely route.. not entirely flat but I'd say it has bumps rather than hills. I took my time just seeing how everything held up on a longer run. Hip was ok... felt it but nothing major. Right foot was fine with the orthotic but again the left one was uncomfortable but more towards the end of the run. I sat on a wall at the pier for a few minutes afterwards watching some fishermen. The water looked gorgeous and all was well with the world for a few minutes til the stink of dog pee overwhelmed me.. ugh. I was half way home before I remembered I hadn't done any stretching :rolleyes:
    6.6 miles in 1.10.47, ave pace 10.43, ave hr 169, max hr 178.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

irish college in connemara! love that place. beautiful part of the island

stevefinn wrote: »
    irish college in connemara! love that place. beautiful part of the island

it's a great place out there alright... in the right weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

it always was warm for irish college thank god. waking up in the morning to look out the window at the sea and sheep:) and sheds full of turf of course!

Race Time (watch) Ave pace Ave HR
    Athenry 27.54 8.57 190
    Tuam 26.55 + a few 8.45 185
    Craughwell N/A N/A N/A
    Claregalway 28.07 9.02 166
    Loughrea 28.38:( 9.10 forgot HRM
    Dangan

Having had a sports massage earlier today I went into this race feeling better than I have for any of them. The hip felt fine and I seem to have found my way with the orthotics (with thicker socks and vaseline). I knew there was a nasty long hill between 2.5 and 4k but I thought if I managed a fast first half I'd be ok. My trend for these races has been a faster first and third mile. For some reason I thought the first half wouldn't be difficult but in no time at all we were into the first hill which took the wind out of my sails. Running into the sun didn't help. I didn't look at the watch at all until the first mile beeped 8.35... with hindsight maybe I should have as I think I was too fast. With a little bit more downhill we started into the second hill which went on and on and on. I was determined not to walk at all on this one so I kept plodding on slowly and ran the second mile in 9.32. In all the other races I managed to speed up again for the 3rd mile but there was still half a mile of hill left in this one! Once over the hill I had zero oomph left to speed up again (mile 3 9.36) I got passed by loads of people in the last 500m and my last .12 m was run in a pathetic 58 seconds (sigh).
    It was the hardest races of the series (13 places down from last week) BUT I did beat my arch nemesis (to use a cw term) :D. That's 2 each in the 4 races I've done. I'll make it my business to beat her again next week.
    Note to self.... stop eating crap and get back to knockma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

littlebug wrote: »
    I've just written last week off completely :rolleyes:
    Motivation has been low so I decided to over to Annaghdown and run the route of the summer solstice 10k for a change of scenery. I started out at 8.30am to be done before the real heat kicked in. It's a lovely route.. not entirely flat but I'd say it has bumps rather than hills. I took my time just seeing how everything held up on a longer run. Hip was ok... felt it but nothing major. Right foot was fine with the orthotic but again the left one was uncomfortable but more towards the end of the run. I sat on a wall at the pier for a few minutes afterwards watching some fishermen. The water looked gorgeous and all was well with the world for a few minutes til the stink of dog pee overwhelmed me.. ugh. I was half way home before I remembered I hadn't done any stretching :rolleyes:
    6.6 miles in 1.10.47, ave pace 10.43, ave hr 169, max hr 178.

Glad you like the route LB :), here's hoping that we get a nice evening for it.

Have to concur that this was by far the toughest course to date. Wimp that I am, I threw in the towel at 2k and more or less jogged home. Its backwards I'm going!
    You'll definitely do better in Dangan.

Good to know that even the speedy people found it tough Speedy!
    The Annaghdown route is lovely... even the dogs I met were friendly:) . I won't know til closer to the date if I'll be able to do the race (it means Mrbug leaving work early and I've used up a lot of credit with this 5k series!). Do you think it'll sell out quickly?

• Advertisement

Good to know that even the speedy people found it tough Speedy!
    The Annaghdown route is lovely... even the dogs I met were friendly:) . I won't know til closer to the date if I'll be able to do the race (it means Mrbug leaving work early and I've used up a lot of credit with this 5k series!). Do you think it'll sell out quickly?

Hopefully :D. Tbh, hard to judge really with it been a Monday. A lot of the newbies are a bit intimidated of anything over 5K, we try and push th elovely scenery to attract them, oh yea, and the friendly dogs too ;)

Another ridiculously busy week. Hopefully it'll calm down a bit now for the summer. 4 slow and tired miles this evening purely for the sake of not having another low mileage week. The plan then is 6 tomorrow morning and Dangan 5k on Tuesday for the last of the series (hurrah!). Racing every week = not good but I think I deserve the t shirt so I'll run the last one anyway :D. I'm sort of looking forward to a flatter race but the varied surfaces and narrow lanes may provide an altogether different challenge.

Another ridiculously busy week. Hopefully it'll calm down a bit now for the summer. 4 slow and tired miles this evening purely for the sake of not having another low mileage week. The plan then is 6 tomorrow morning and Dangan 5k on Tuesday for the last of the series (hurrah!). Racing every week = not good but I think I deserve the t shirt so I'll run the last one anyway :D. I'm sort of looking forward to a flatter race but the varied surfaces and narrow lanes may provide an altogether different challenge.

At least you got out LB ! I havn't ran since Loughrea, deliberately, and its killing me :rolleyes:. Will probably run Dangan just for the laugh :D

Speedy44 wrote: »
    At least you got out LB ! I havn't ran since Loughrea, deliberately, and its killing me :rolleyes:. Will probably run Dangan just for the laugh :D

I hope it went well for you Speedy :)

I had typed up my usual epic race report but I managed to somehow close the window and lost it :rolleyes:. I couldn't be arsed writing it again.

In summary I have bit of a cough/throat thing going on. Lovely race route but it wasn't on for me this evening.. 29.00. Worst 5k yet but I did get the tshirt and sweatshirt:). I also met Seres at the start which was nice. She took off like a bat out of hell and disappeared into the distance about 2 seconds after the gun!
    Anyway... feeling like crap these days and I'm really glad to have these 5ks over and done with.

eta... funny enough I finished 2 places higher than last week and in the same position as I did in my best race in Tuam. Maybe everyone was on a go-slow this evening.

I hope it went well for you Speedy :)

I had typed up my usual epic race report but I managed to somehow close the window and lost it :rolleyes:. I couldn't be arsed writing it again.

In summary I have bit of a cough/throat thing going on. Lovely race route but it wasn't on for me this evening.. 29.00. Worst 5k yet but I did get the tshirt and sweatshirt:). I also met Seres at the start which was nice. She took off like a bat out of hell and disappeared into the distance about 2 seconds after the gun!
    Anyway... feeling like crap these days and I'm really glad to have these 5ks over and done with.

eta... funny enough I finished 2 places higher than last week and in the same position as I did in my best race in Tuam. Maybe everyone was on a go-slow this evening.

Good job LB, this was definitely a course of 2 halves, at least thats what I'm telling myself for running so bad over the last 2K :rolleyes:
    I actually finished in my highest position, even though it was my 2nd slowest time :confused:
    Time to enjoy the rest from racing now for a while, that is at least until Annaghdown :D

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Time to enjoy the rest from racing now for a while, that is at least until Annaghdown :D

Gawd Speedy don't be putting such thoughts in my head. I had decided this evening that I wouldn't do any more races til SoG. There again... maybe I'll have recovered from whatever this is that is dragging me down by then:D. Eh...do you think there'll be a few at my end of the race or would I run the risk of being paddy last? Current 10k pb 57.50something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Wouldn't worry about your time littlebug most people seemed to be a bit slower. Look at the winning time, by far the slowest of the series. Think the twists and turns as well as the lose underfoot surface just made it a little slower. Your finishing position is more relevant here.
    Cant see you taking a total break from racing until SoG though, maybe take the month off and get back into the races in July. 5 races in 6 weeks is a lot of strain on the body.

Thanks BrokenMan, yes with hindsight it's no wonder I'm tired! 6 races in 6 weeks is a lot (I did the Castlebar 10k in the midst of the Galway series).
    Looking at my garmin data there I see that I hit halfway in a reasonable time for finishing in 27 something so I think the sufaces in the second half did really slow me down. Ah well the series is done and dusted and I can get back to nice pressure-less running now. Taking (at least) a month off from races sounds like a good idea. I might take the camera over to Annaghdown instead.

Today I had a nice 3 mile recovery WALK in the woods in Cong :)

Race Time (watch) Ave pace Ave HR
    Athenry 27.54 8.57 190
    Tuam 26.55 + a few 8.45 185
    Craughwell N/A N/A N/A
    Claregalway 28.07 9.02 166
    Loughrea 28.38:( 9.10 forgot HRM
    Dangan 29.00 9.15is 169ish

(ugh can't get the figures in the right place).
    Updating the series table. I managed to restart the timer on the way home so with lots of fast miles and low HR the averages for the run are guestimates.

For some reason I just have been low in motivation to run lately. I don't know why. The aim for today was to just to go out and enjoy it so I headed for the hill (knockma). The legs felt surprisingly good. I did 2 loops of the hill, walking and stopping where I felt the need and put no time pressure on myself. 4 miles in about 50ish minutes. I enjoyed it more than any other outing in the past month or so. Hopefully I can get back in good running form. When I say good I mean enjoying it rather than running fast :pac: I won't have any mornings to myself again now til September :eek: so I'll either have to do a Racheljev and run at ridiculously early hours or do all evening runs. Off to the island for a long weekend now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Off to the island for a long weekend now :)

I presume that this is not a Lost reference :D

• Advertisement

ronanmac wrote: »

I presume that this is not a Lost reference :D

Oh I don't know Rónan I sometimes wonder :eek:

Yesterday 4 (ish I think) easy miles.
    Today 6.1 with (big) hills. 1 hr 10 mins. Ave pace 11.40. Ave HR 169.
    When I say hills I mean one hill up (80ish m) , down the other side and back again (93m climb on return). There was some walking on the return (partly because I heard a cuckoo and wanted to listen for a while!). With that climb on rough surface and loose stone in places I'm happy with that. Uphill is almost worth it for the downhill after :D.
    I also went swimming and snorkelling today. It was rather cold...the fact that the beach was full and I was the only fool in the water should tell you something! I didn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I also went swimming and snorkelling today. It was rather cold...the fact that the beach was full and I was the only fool in the water should tell you something! I didn't last long.

Triathlon training Littlebug????

catweazle wrote: »
    Triathlon training Littlebug????

God no! I use the term "swimming" loosely. It's more like floating around a bit, never out of my depth and hoping to God the goggles don't let in water as I'm blind as a bat if the contacts go!

4 miles earlier today. The first two were mostly into a head wind and I pushed to do them in 9.33 and 9.32. I was pooped after that so did the next one in a leisurely 10.38. The next bit was uphill so was at slower pace for. .4 and finished out the mile at about 9.40 pace. Total 4 miles in 39.59. How in the world did I run "some" miles in 8.30 something in the 5k series :confused:

I'll have to get a run in early tomorrow as it looks like me and the kids are staying here while Mr Bug goes home til the weekend. Running will then be confined to back and forward on the beach (hoping no-one is looking) while the kids potter about!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

How in the world did I run "some" miles in 8.30 something in the 5k series :confused:
    Isn't racing-induced adrenaline a wonderful thing? :D

I'll have to get a run in early tomorrow

Scratch that. I awoke at some silly hour of the night with the awful pain of a stubbed toe :confused: Yes Mr (big clumsy oaf) bug had somehow managed to kick me while turning over :( (No he's not the violent sort really :o). Like a good little Irish wifey I lay there saying nothing in case I woke him :rolleyes: but stayed awake for ages wondering if my toe was broken. It transpired that he was actually lying awake thinking "oh sh1t... well she seems to be asleep so maybe she didn't notice that I just kicked her". Anyhow I was shattered this morning so didn't get up to run early. I think 2 hours of clambering (and hauling 2 children) over rocks probably counts as reasonable cross training though. No more running til friday which maybe is no harm as my left hip, left big toe joint and now right second toe :rolleyes:are all bothering me today!
    I'll just accept at this point that 1000 miles isn't going to happen this year and aim for 800. That's a reasonable jump from last years 500 odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Sorry to hear about all your injuries Littlebug but lol at your description of last nights events!

Hope everything mends soon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I'll just accept at this point that 1000 miles isn't going to happen this year and aim for 800. That's a reasonable jump from last years 500 odd.

B*mmer on the toe!! Wear steel-capped boots tonight and see if he wants to do it again....

Don't give up on the 1000 Mile just yet. According to my calculations I'll be covering about 600 miles in the training for DCM which will set me up nicely for the run into the end of the year. It can still be done...

Wear steel-capped boots tonight and see if he wants to do it again....

lol :D that'd learn him....

• Advertisement

Thurs.... mini lightweight interval session with the little bugs :pac: What I mean by that is running a bit... waiting til they caught up which took a while given that they stopped to discuss every rock, flower, dog, horse, butterfly and everything else along the way... and then running a bit again. It took a long time but we enjoyed it. Given the circumstances it was the best I could do - 2m.

Fri. Met Mrbug off the boat and handed him the keys and the kids and said "see ya:P". The first couple of miles were straight into a strong atlantic wind which I wasn't expecting. For some reason I thought it would be at my back :o. Lungs were grand but my legs felt really tired and I didn't feel good for the first couple of miles (both 11.09). I started to feel better for the 3rd and 4th (10.21/10.23) probably because of a slight direction change so the wind was blowing to my side rather than in my face. The garmin died just after 4 but I slowed down to an easy trot for the last mile home.
    Hip ok. Left toe ok. Right toe so so.:rolleyes:. I really regret not bringing the mizunos.
    Time for me to get stuck into a HM plan now.

Advertisement