Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Connemara to Galway (maybe)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Saturday 3m hill.
    Mile 1: 73 m climb 13.28.
    Mile 2: bumpy plateau rough underfoot and loose stones 10.47
    Mile 3: whoohoo back down the hill 7.59 :eek: The steepest part is in the first half mile which I did at 7.34 pace :D then it ends with a flat bit and short climb again at the end. it took every ounce of energy I had to keep the pace up to the end. I was a mess arriving back to the house so added .3 jog to cool down and not look like I was on the verge of collapse going back in the front door! .
    I make that 20.4 this week. Hurrah back to normal. Travelling tomorrow. It'll be a busy day so LSR will either have to be on the treadmill tomorrow night or leave it til Monday.

What is it with me and mid-night injuries:confused: I woke up with a frozen shoulder and neck on Monday morning for no particular reason (no there was no one else involved this time:p). It didn't ease up at all yesterday so I thought running wouldn't be wise and made do with a 3m walk. It improved a bit today so I headed for the woods thinking that if it was sore at least I could have a nice walk. Took the first mile slow and felt ok so upped the pace for the second and third mile and back to a fourth slow one. My neck only hurts if I look to either side (God bless wing mirrors!). It's funny I felt like I was flying for the 2nd and 3rd miles but I was only doing just over 10 min miles. I guess the surface and having to dodge tree roots etc slows me down. It was lovely though.... 4 miles without seeing a soul followed by 10 minutes sitting by the river watching the fish jump. Bliss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

littlebug wrote: »
    It was lovely though.... 4 miles without seeing a soul followed by 10 minutes sitting by the river watching the fish jump. Bliss :)

Wheres that run Littlebug it sounds great. Are you thinking of doing Annaghdown or Milltown next week, I am leaninmg more towards Annaghdown myself

It's the woods in Cong Catweazle. In the entrance beside the church in the town rather than Ashford castle. It's probably a bit far from you but there's a trail all the way from Cong to Clonbur (though you have to go out a gate and cross a road at one point). I haven't run the whole thing so I'm not sure how long it is but I've gone 4 miles out and back so I must have been near the other end! If you get there early enough in the morning or late in the evening it's generally tourist free and you won't see anyone bar the occasional fisherman or dog walker.

Milltown or Annaghdown have crossed my mind... Annaghdown would be closer but Saturday evening would be better in terms of getting the time away. Neither of them would be the more sensible option...;)

Saturday evening would be better in terms of getting the time away. Neither of them would be the more sensible option...;)

D'oh... Milltown is at 3pm on Sat so it's definitely out.
    My neck is slightly worse today so no running. Physio tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

Physio this morning plus nurofen gel and my neck/shoulder is feeling fine now. Apparently some of my joints are hypermobile which is probably making me a little more susceptible to injury.
    I was restricted to the treadmill this evening so I thought I'd make it interesting and do intervals rather than just plodding along.
    1 mile warmup followed by 5x.2m@7mph/ 7mph/7.2mph/ 7.4mph/ 7.4mph with .3m @ 6mph recovery and reducing slowly back down to 5.5 after the last rep. Total 5.2 m (added .2 to even up my numbers in the 1000 m challenge). I actually ended up enjoying the session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Hope the shoulder feels better LBug.

Good intervals! I hate the treadmill, but if you do have to use it I guess that's one way to make it interesting. Don't know if I could manage 7 min miles just yet. :o

Emer911 wrote: »
    Don't know if I could manage 7 min miles just yet. :o

Neither can I :pac: It was 7.4 miles per hour rather than min miles as that's how the treadmill is set up. I was just too lazy to convert them! This table gives the conversions...http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php

so I really wasn't moving very fast at all!

7 miles in Annaghdown (including the 10k race loop). A lovely evening and a lovely run. I hope speedy44 gets such a nice evening on Monday for the race. I wasn't bothered looking at the watch as it was a slow run and the longest I've done for ages so I just ran at what I perceived as a comfortable pace. Only in the last half mile did I start to find it more difficult but that may have been part psychological as I had to run past the end of the lane to the pier where the car was parked to make up the 7 miles. I was surprised when I finished to see that my average pace was 10.35, varying from 10.29 to 10.38 per mile with the exception of the last one which was 10.46. Ave hr 162 (max 174). HR in the first mile was strangely low (ave 139). There appear to have been a couple of dips down to 120 ish for no particular reason

5 slow miles in the woods. I didn't bother with the garmin and extrapolated the distance afterwards from previous runs.
    I spotted myself in the Dangan 5k photos looking positively porky. I could do with losing at least 7 lbs. That's the aim between now and SoG... starting tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I spotted myself in the Dangan 5k photos looking positively porky. I could do with losing at least 7 lbs. That's the aim between now and SoG... starting tomorrow.

I've been saying that to myself every time one of those race photos get emailed to me. I'm still sitting here eating Toffee Pops and drinking a beer :D ...so bold!

I know what I have to do, but I'm not at the point where I'm willing to give up my treats just yet! Maybe when the big race is looming...:rolleyes:

I've been saying that to myself every time one of those race photos get emailed to me. I'm still sitting here eating Toffee Pops and drinking a beer :D ...so bold!

I know what I have to do, but I'm not at the point where I'm willing to give up my treats just yet! Maybe when the big race is looming...:rolleyes:

:D I hear ya. I intended posting that on the thread last night and start today but somehow it just didn't happen :o:D I've said it out loud now so I can't back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I spotted myself in the Dangan 5k photos looking positively porky.

Here's your brother. I had a look at the photos and video of me finishing the Great Ireland Run. Suddenly my mental image of me running (all Chariots of Fire-like) went out the window. A real eye opener. I think I'll just run in the dark from now on.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Oh my God me too. I have never failed to look anything less than Gargantua-like in race photos. The most recent half-marathon I did even sent you a link where you could watch video clips of yourself running in the race. I quickly deleted the link because if I know if I EVER saw a video of myself in action I would NEVER lace up my runners again.

lol@ mcs and EYT:D:D God I never ever want to see a video of me running:(. Apart from thinking I look like I need to lose weight I am actually half a stone heavier than I was last summer. I was much more careful about my diet then. I want to go into SoG as I was last year so time comparisons will reflect real improvements (or otherwise :rolleyes:) without confounding factors like triple spare tyres round my middle.

Sooo on that note today I did something I've been threatening to do for a long time. Given that my quiet childfree mornings are numbered i decided dust off my rusty old mountain bike and cycle over to knockma, run knockma and cycle home. I hoked out a cycling jacket that I bought last year but never wore and my water bottle fitted nicely in the back pocket. I pumped the wheels a bit and left it in the lap of the Gods that they would stay intact. The aim of the cycle was not to fall off and not to walk.
    The outward journey was ok.... some tough hills, the toughest being in the second half mile and between 5- 5.5m. other than that it was undulating but manageable. 6.6 miles in 39.19, ave pace 5.58 mm, ave hr 151 (max 172).

I took a short water and stretch break at knockma and headed off up the hill. I took it purposely easy and walked a lot of the climb. At the bottom again I doubled back on the lane to bring the total run up to 3 miles. (34.04, ave pace 11.20, ave HR 164 max 180.

Another short break before setting off again and though I was feeling ok at the outset it was clear after a few minutes that all was not good. I was straight into a headwind and finding it tough even on the flat bits. The hill at just over half a mile was hellish (but I didn't stop ;)) and the rest of the journey didn't improve much with hills where I hadn't noticed a downhill on the outward journey. the wind didn't help at all and the closer i go got to home the more everything started to hurt. I made in home in 44.43, nearly 5 mins slower than the the outward journey, ave pace 6.43, ave HR 154, max 173.

with hindsight :rolleyes: my maiden cycle for the year should have been shorter and flatter and maybe not including a 3 mile hill run in the middle :o That said I sort of enjoyed the first 2 part and would like to make it a regular.
    Must wrap bike seat in cotton wool
    God this reads like a race report. Shut up littlebug :o

Track night. I wasn't quite up to speedy intervals after yesterdays assault on the legs so just took it easy with a warm up mile (10.28), stretches, faster mile (9.01), 1 lap walk, medium mile ;) (9.57), 1 lap walk and ended with .5 mile @9.35 pace. Total 4 miles.

I'm sure DOMS from yesterday will kick in tomorrow so I'm planning a rest day plus have physio. Shoulder is okay again and neck is nearly but not quite there.

Oh and I went nuts today and bought a wetsuit in ALDI.

cycling yesterday and wetsuit purchase today, definite triathlon potential :D

Loughrea has a women only try a tri in september 150m swim, 7k cycle and 2k run, I will be expecting you to win that with your running experience

catweazle wrote: »
    cycling yesterday and wetsuit purchase today, definite triathlon potential :D

Loughrea has a women only try a tri in september 150m swim, 7j cycle and 32k run, I will be expecting you to win that with your running experience

32 k run?:eek:
    Anyway... no not a chance! Did you see how slow I cycled?! I actually like cycling and used to cycle a lot in my youth so it would probably come back to me easily enough. Swimming is just beyond me ... I doubt if I could even swim a length at this stage (Haven't tried for a long long time). I'm not opposed to learning and improving but the thought of getting getting goggles knocked off terrifies me:o. If the contacts go I'm fooked. I can't see my hand in front of me without them so the whole water thing is scary. Honestly that "swimming etiquette" thread scares the bejaysus out of me!

The wetsuit is for snorkelling.... never out of my depth and doesn't really require much moving :D My kind of swimming! I wouldn't discount something like achill roar at some point but not this year. Kayaks I could maybe just about live with. I don't have the fitness for it now though. I should have started cycling sooner.

The plan was to get up early today for 8 mile lsr. I woke up and heard the wind and rain battering the window and that plan was gone. After a couple of hours and some indecision and taking into account plans for the rest of the day i decided to do the 8 miles on the treadmill (yawn).
    1m warm up (11 mins) followed by stretches + 6 miles in 62 mins and a slow (11 min) mile at the end to cool down. With a Bela Fleck and the undertones live dvd to keep me company it didn't seem too bad :)

Good gravy, 8 miles on the treadmill as the LSR! You're a saint!
    I hate treadmill running (yeah I know they have a time and place).
    But give me the rain anyday;).

• Advertisement

Good gravy, 8 miles on the treadmill as the LSR! You're a saint! .

A Saint I think not! It's really just punishment for not getting up and out earlier!

Monday...3 very slow miles, didn't time it.
    Tuesday- Mayo fit4life 5k series race 1. Ya I hated the Galway series so much I decided to put myself through it all again :o Not really, I didn't know til Mr B arrived home whether I would go for this or not so it was a bit of a last minute decision. With the rain and wind and the fact that I knew this was a hilly course I was really just going for the run rather than the race. It's a really really hilly course. If I was to compare I would say it's similar to the Loughrea 5k though the hills are possibly shorter but there are more of them. A nice downhill start brought my first mile in too fast as usual. Finished in 29 ish on what I would call a fairly challenging route so not too bad but I completely messed up with the garmin. With warmup/down total 5m

Aside from that I think I would benefit from running with other people more so I've talked myself into joining a few others on their run next week. They are faster than me so it'll force me to push myself a bit more than I generally would.
    I really must get back on the bike tomorrow.

4.25 slow miles on the track. 16 laps run/ 1 lap walk.

I'm starting to veer towards the longford half rather than Galway due to the flatness factor.

I'm starting to veer towards the longford half rather than Galway due to the flatness factor.

I'm veering the opposite way. But I haven't had the experience of the Connemara Half. Thought the unflatness factor would be good for me.

I'm veering the opposite way. .

:D:D I must do a route comparison on mapmyrun. Galway would be by far the handiest for me but there are a couple of long drags.... they're blips compared to Connemara and after the one at ? 8 miles (I think) it's all downhill/ flat but I worry that I don't seem to recover well after hills even in a 5k! I probably will end up sticking with Galway.... the other attraction there is having the clan at the finish line for me :o

There's also the fact that Longford is more or less an out and back course. At least with Galway you might get to run through different scenery (notice I didn't say "see different scenery". Head should be down too much to enjoy the surroundings:D

true. I do also like the idea of being chauffeured home rather than a 1.5/ 2 hr drive. I used to live right at the top of the hill at 8m... I've been remembering suffering up that hill on the bike everyday and I think that's what's scaring me! The "scenery" up that way is very different nowadays:D Back then you had the head down trying to get past Rahoon as fast as possible for other reasons :D

I was in Galway last week for the first time in I can't remember how long. Longford would only be an hour from home for me. Galway just appeals to me for some reason. I'm also looking at the Kilomathon in Moone, Co. Kildare on 8th August (its 26.2 Km and I'm due to run 24Km that weekend)

That's the day after Streets of Galway. I must figure out what I'm "supposed" to be running that weekend.

ETA.... ooops I'm supposed to do 12 that weekend. I'll have to think carefully about that one.

true. I do also like the idea of being chauffeured home rather than a 1.5/ 2 hr drive. I used to live right at the top of the hill at 8m... I've been remembering suffering up that hill on the bike everyday and I think that's what's scaring me! The "scenery" up that way is very different nowadays:D Back then you had the head down trying to get past Rahoon as fast as possible for other reasons :D

Typical salthill snob.......you have some cheek insulting Rahoon when you are living out in the sticks these days.

The whesth side is da besth side

Great view from there though, I used to have to cycle out another few k after that out to Knocknacarra myself back in the day

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Typical salthill snob...

:D I was a blow in there too. Now if you knew where I'm really from you'd know I have no rights to snobbery ;)

Advertisement