Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Connemara to Galway (maybe)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

:)10 miles in 1.56, ave moving pace 11.32, ave hr 169.

Back on the rock (as RoyMcC would say).

I wouldn't say the last couple of days have been rest days with Friday spent packing and driving and hauling bags and children onto a boat, off a boat, hauling bags and children to the car to find the battery flat blah blah blah. Lots of walking yesterday and I cautiously set out for the 10 miler this morning. My aim was to not even look at pace but to try to keep the hr under 170 if I could. This was reasonable easy for the first 5 miles only rising over 170 on hills but once I turned to come back I was facing into the wind so it was much harder. I allowed myself to hover in the mid 170s but at times uphill into wind was proving too much and when i saw it going over 175 a couple of times I walked to bring it back down only letting go up in the last 200m or so. Legs felt fine throughout.... I have no idea what Thursdays blip was all about :confused:
    All in all a much more sensible lsr this week. Hopefully I won't be quite so knackered for the next 2 days as I was last week.

As an aside...

I've been looking at this site at HR training zone stuff
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm

which has a calculator to work out the % etc. It's quite funny because I have to enter my age as 15 to get the correct max heart rate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good run lb, it's always good to get into double figures isn't it? Don't worry about Thursday, it was just one of those days, everyone gets them. Forget about it now, it's done. Good luck with this weeks mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

littlebug wrote: »
    As an aside...

I've been looking at this site at HR training zone stuff
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm

which has a calculator to work out the % etc. It's quite funny because I have to enter my age as 15 to get the correct max heart rate :D

Using HR is a good way to train. However in the absence of a “true” maximum heart rate it’s just an educated guess at best. A better way would be to try to equate specific intensities with particular heart rate zones e.g. 140 to 150 - easy, 190 – 200 – maximal effort. Observe your own heart rate as you run to get your own specific intensity zones. This way you can use the displayed HR as a guide to the intensity you should be at on any particular run.

Hope this helps

Using HR is a good way to train. However in the absence of a “true” maximum heart rate it’s just an educated guess at best. A better way would be to try to equate specific intensities with particular heart rate zones e.g. 140 to 150 - easy, 190 – 200 – maximal effort. Observe your own heart rate as you run to get your own specific intensity zones. This way you can use the displayed HR as a guide to the intensity you should be at on any particular run.

Hope this helps

Thanks MCS,
    I'm basing it on my observed max hr of 204 on the finish line of the 10 miler in March when I was near the point of collapse :o. I found the lsr much easier this week because I was concentrating on keeping hr lower and ignoring pace... it's easy to lose the run of yourself sometimes :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good to hear you're back running again without any problems after last Thursday and well done on the LSR.

Just a quick question on your orthotics. How did you get up to running with them full time? Did you start just using them for a short walk/run and then slowly build up the mileage on them? Did you not find it weird when running without them on the other runs? Cheers :D

shazkea wrote: »

Just a quick question on your orthotics. How did you get up to running with them full time? Did you start just using them for a short walk/run and then slowly build up the mileage on them? Did you not find it weird when running without them on the other runs? Cheers :D

After a couple months of faffing about with them i just forced myself to wear them. I was going through a low mileage phase anyway so I just wore them on all the runs.... it was back at the time of the galway 5k series. I found the first 6 mile run tough in them but after that I just got used to them. it wasn't easy though. I wore my sauconys last night for a walk and Oh my God I'd forgotten what lovely squishy soft soles felt like :D The orthotics are like wood in comparison but I do have to say my hip issues have really eased up. I was supposed to wear a wedge with the right one but I haven't done that yet. Maybe that would sort out this niggly hamstring thing.

I've felt good since Sundays lsr. I did a 3 mile recovery walk last night at a nice fast clip. More tired today but still managed 4 slow miles on the treadmill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Thanks for the advice on my new thread!

Updating myself on your one I'm tired just reading the amount you do lol!:D

You're doing so well. You must feel great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

After a couple months of faffing about with them i just forced myself to wear them. I was going through a low mileage phase anyway so I just wore them on all the runs.... it was back at the time of the galway 5k series. I found the first 6 mile run tough in them but after that I just got used to them. it wasn't easy though. I wore my sauconys last night for a walk and Oh my God I'd forgotten what lovely squishy soft soles felt like :D The orthotics are like wood in comparison but I do have to say my hip issues have really eased up. I was supposed to wear a wedge with the right one but I haven't done that yet. Maybe that would sort out this niggly hamstring thing.

I've felt good since Sundays lsr. I did a 3 mile recovery walk last night at a nice fast clip. More tired today but still managed 4 slow miles on the treadmill.

Cheers for the advice and sorry for the flood of questions I threw at you :D. I should have re-read that post!!

Finally managed a run at the lake trail this evening. It was a bit of a mishmash run. My intended warmup mile was a wee bit faster than planned at 10.14 (ave hr 163). A few stretches and I was off with a fast mile (8.51), slower for mile 3 (10.14), then picked it up a bit again for the 4th (9.43) followed by a very slow 5th mile (11.06) ave hr 174 across the 4 miles. I intended a walk/ jog around the lake again but got talking to a couple walking their dog and a woman looking for her wayward children :D so my 6th mile took 17 minutes :o

Shins feeling a bit splinty so icing now.

• Advertisement

horrible nights sleep and touch of vertigo all morning :( (something that hasn't happened since I started running). Decided to go easy on myself this evening for my scheduled 3 miler. Going easy on my myself on a day with vertigo turned into running up a big hill:D Nah... felt better but tired this evening so just did and easy knockma run which meant jog up the lane at the start, walk up the hill and run down. Walking up that hill still gets the heart pumping I tells ya! Right shin and calf really tight. Stretched a bit walked an extra bit to bring it up to 3m.
    2 days off now til 12m lsr on Sunday so i'll do lots of icing and rolling til then. Technically speaking the 12miler (if I manage it) will be my longest run ever since I walked the HOTW in Connemara ;)
    I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't managed more cycling but timewise it just isn't possible at the minute. Maybe when the kids are back in school I'll get started again with the aim of doing something bike related next year.

I'm trying to work out what HOTW stands for......Halfway Over The World? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

dolliemix wrote: »
    I'm trying to work out what HOTW stands for......Halfway Over The World? :p

That's the infamous Hell Of The West at about mile 11 on the Connemara half marathon (or at mile 23/24 on the marathon route).
    It's a doozey!:D

:D lol well I did feel like I'd run halfway over the world at that point. I think it starts just after 9 miles and finishes at about 11 miles (yes it's a 2 mile hill:eek: and yes I walked it :o). Did you run it Emer?

:D lol well I did feel like I'd run halfway over the world at that point. I think it starts just after 9 miles and finishes at about 11 miles (yes it's a 2 mile hill:eek: and yes I walked it :o). Did you run it Emer?

I tried to run it... think I walked for a bit alright. :rolleyes:

12 miles in 2.11.04, ave pace 10.55, ave hr 171.

After much faffing about I deciding what to wear and where to run I headed off to Annaghdown wearing the Sauconys with the orthotics. Running the 10k loop twice would mean being able to leve gels and water in the car.
    Felt great for the first few miles and probably went too fast as a result with the first couple at 10.30 something but the hr was really low at 160ish so I stuck with it. Hr started climbing from for the second half of the loop so i slowed accordingly. By 5-6 I really regretted not bringing the water with me. Stopped at the car at 6m for gel, water and some lucozade sport (really thirsty!). Off again for the second loop.I found miles 6-9 the hardest of all for some reason and the pace was much slower (11.20ish ave) and hr higher for these. Took a second gel and water at 9m and eased into the last 3 which were ok...picked up the pace a bit for 10 and 11 but couldn't keep hr down, slowed a bit again for the last mile.

Overall a good run. Sauconys felt good other than 1 blister spot. I need to bring more water with me next time.
    The true test of this run will be in how I feel over the next 2 days :o

So toying with the recovery run idea I followed on from last weeks recovery "walk" with a "fast walk/ jog" this week. I'm convinced I recovered quicker last week for having done something the day after the long run. This evening 3.1 m mostly fast walk (fast enough to look a bit silly :o) with bits of running here and there, enough to take the ave hr up to 142, the lower end of the recovery zone for me. Ave pace 13.01. Big difference from 2 weeks ago when I was pretty much stuck to the sofa for 2 days after the 9 mile run.

Wore the asics... blister on the back of my heel after half a mile:rolleyes: Good job I didn't wear them yesterday. My gardening shoe collection is building up.

5 miles on the treadmill.
    mile 1 slow 11 min mile (put child in bath) , 2 miles in 9.20, 9.30 (child out of bath), 1 mile 10.00 and a leisurely final mile slowing down to a walk for the last half. The next few days are busy for Mr Bug so I imagine tomorrows run will be similar.
    Looking forward to SoG on Saturday but not expecting a pb.
    On a more negative note- fuppin blisters :mad:

You're doing really well! I love the multi-tasking part of it! :D

dolliemix wrote: »
    I love the multi-tasking part of it! :D

Sometimes its the only way :o

• Advertisement

4 slow boring treadmill miles. 11/10/10.30/11.30.
    Nothing of note to report other than hitting the 500 mile mark for the year so far. Tomorrow I'll bypass last years total mileage :)

hitting the 500 mile mark for the year so far.

WOOOPPPEEEEDDOOOOOOOOOOOO

Well done. We've come a long way since the last-minute exertions of last December.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

WOOOPPPEEEEDDOOOOOOOOOOOO

Well done. We've come a long way since the last-minute exertions of last December.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Haven't we just :D I thought I'd never reach 500 last year and it feels like it's been almost effortless (so far ;)) this year.

hitting the 500 mile mark for the year so far.

Congrats on that Major milestone! :p

Strangely enjoyable 3 easy miles in the dark and the wind and the rain this evening on the prom in Galway . 29.59. Ave hr 165. I've noticed that my hr always stays nice and low for the first mile (in the 150s) and even the second mile though it bumps up into the 160s, then after that it's up into the 170s whatever the pace. I'm really looking forward to SoG on Saturday now. I hope it's cool with a little drizzle and a nice breeze at our backs on the way back in along the prom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the running and on your LSR of 12 miles. Am always figuring our the logistics too, what to carry, will I bring water... the dilemmas! :D
    For my LSR yesterday, I carried the water, one of those running water bottles with the hole in the centre. They're annoying to listen to, splish splash, splosh mile after mile, but my God that water is so welcome half way into the run!

Good luck in the Streets of Galway.

Streets of Galway 8k. 45.47 :), ave pace 9.10 (best pace 6.29:eek:), ave hr 177 (max 193)

yet again another great race by GCH. I went in to this not expecting a pb for a few reasons (here come the excuses:o). First I have been doing little to no speedwork lately, secondly I am probably 5lbs heavier than this time last year. Aside from that I'm happy that I've been running further rather than faster so other than the usual pre-race jitters I wasn't feeling pressure to get a pb.
    I got in to pick up my number and chip quite late but was in and out of there in 1 minute. Well manned and organised and nice to see familiar faces to chat to. Warmup consisted of trotting back out to the omniplex to leave my stuff in the car (it seems toy story 3 was more interesting than my race:p) and back to the claddagh and a lap of the pitches. Chatted to a few more people and probably hung around too long as by the time I got to the race start I had no choice but to go near the back. Off we went.. about a min and a half before I crossed the line and as expected pacing was difficult for the first mile or so with the crowds. Still mile 1 passed in 9.18 which I was happy with. I found it impossible to lock into a pace and the next mile went from sub 8 min:eek: to 11 min. (really need to learn to keep it together) but I finished the mile in 8.55. Mile 3 was similar (8.53) but the wheels were coming off and by the water station I was gasping. Last year I didn't stop at all... this year I stopped at the first table (empty) and walked til I got to one with water. Started up again and again pace all over the place for the next mile. 9. 36 (obv slowed by water stop). The last mile is the only one that looks like I had a steady pace on the garmin graph.... steady between 9- 9.30 for the first half and just under 9 for the last half mile to finish in 9.04 (just short of mile). Finished in 45.47 just 20 seconds slower than last year which I'm pleased with for the reasons I gave at the start! A pb would have been nice of course and maybe the water stop cost me but there again I may not have been able to pick the pace up at the end without it... who knows.

Overall a great race again... very well marshalled (better than last year I think), great t-shirt.. great crowds, great atmosphere, very enjoyable :)

I haven't figured out my total mileage today.. probably 7ish (edited- actually 8 with warmdown added). I really need to work on pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done lb, sounds like a great race.:)

• Advertisement

Good racing LB. Despite the issues you encountered you still managed to get within 20 seconds of last year's time.

When you say the second mile was between sub 8 and 11 minutes, is this from the display on the Garmin during the race or looking at the trace after?

Advertisement