Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Connemara to Galway (maybe)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Fair play, littlebug, good racing. I always have a fierce problem with pacing during races. In training, I stick to what the Garmin is telling me. Once I get into a race, I somehow convince myself that I can run faster for longer than I actually can, resulting in dying a death a short time later! Next race I do (after DCM), I'm picking a pace as a max pace and not going over it (I still suspect I'll end up trying to follow finely honed athletes at the start, ending in a world of pain two miles later!).
    Oh, and congrats on topping the 500 mile mark. I've just done the same myself (we seem to be locked into doing roughly the same mileage). I'm not sure if the big 1000 is a possibility anymore though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Congrats on the great time for the SOG - great running there and you passed the 500 mile mark, am very impressed (and jealous..) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

When you say the second mile was between sub 8 and 11 minutes, is this from the display on the Garmin during the race or looking at the trace after?

a bit of both Mcs. At one point someone asked me what pace we were doing and when I glanced at the garmin it said 7.25 :eek: which didn't seem right at all. I'm pretty sure I remember exactly where this was and yet that pace isn't on the trace at that point but from mile 2-3 I seem to have dipped ( just for a second :p) under 8 three times. When I look at it again now garmin says best pace 6.29 min miles but I can't see that on the trace at all.. so maybe the garmin was messed up :confused: Anyhow... it doesn't really matter :o although I suppose it does because if I'm not settled into a pace it means I'm wearing myself out going faster/ slower/ faster etc etc. I need a pace clock in front of me at all times I think :p

ronanmac wrote: »
    Fair play, littlebug, good racing. I always have a fierce problem with pacing during races. In training, I stick to what the Garmin is telling me. Once I get into a race, I somehow convince myself that I can run faster for longer than I actually can, resulting in dying a death a short time later! Next race I do (after DCM), I'm picking a pace as a max pace and not going over it (I still suspect I'll end up trying to follow finely honed athletes at the start, ending in a world of pain two miles later!).
    Oh, and congrats on topping the 500 mile mark. I've just done the same myself (we seem to be locked into doing roughly the same mileage). I'm not sure if the big 1000 is a possibility anymore though!

I've been doing the sums too and think the 1000 is probably out. Ah well I'll still get a hell of a lot more done this year than last and your 500 so far have been good quality miles... your progress has been great this year.
    I think my problem with pacing is that I just can't tell what pace I'm doing and can't lock in to a pace resulting in up/ down pace constantly. also at the start of the race I was slowing down as I got caught behind people and then upped the pace too much when I got past them. Then I can't keep that pace up so slow dwn ... see I'm going too slow and speed up.... etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Just as a matter of interest what data field do you have the garmin set up to show? Mine is set to display avg pace, distance, time elapsed, current hr.

• Advertisement

Just as a matter of interest what data field do you have the garmin set up to show? Mine is set to display avg pace, distance, time elapsed, current hr.

Same. Avg pace as the main display with time and distance smaller and hr at the tap of the bezel. On long runs I keep it on hr all the time while at races I ignore hr completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done at the weekend. It was a cracking evening for it. I thought the wind from Pearse Stadium home was quite a stiff headwind and made the run home very tasty! :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    quite a stiff headwind :D

:D I can add that to my list of excuses then! Actually I do remember noticing that when I was expecting a nice wind at my back to blow me home. Well done on the pb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Just reading you race report LB, sounds like you had a good run. I also had a slight delay at the water station but to be honest I was glad to walk for a few seconds, it was very hot at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done littlebug -your dedication is definately paying off

• Advertisement

I realised today why I was so much slower at SoG than last year. Shhh don't tell anybody but last year I (unwittingly I swear) cut the corner at seapoint :o Don't tell Dochara.

Monday... 3 mile v easy recovery jog with stops now and again. no garmin.
    Tuesday. 4 easy treadmill miles..11/10:20/10:20/11.

Neck hurting again but getting it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Just catching up on your recent antics LB! Fantastic running out of you all summer! Congrats on Galway last week :)

littlebug wrote: »
    I realised today why I was so much slower at SoG than last year. Shhh don't tell anybody but last year I (unwittingly I swear) cut the corner at seapoint :o Don't tell Dochara.

You are also in the middle of a marathon training schedule so would not have been the freshest going into this race. On a good day, with a bit more rest going into the race you would have blasted last year's time.

You are also in the middle of a marathon training schedule so would not have been the freshest going into this race. On a good day, with a bit more rest going into the race you would have blasted last year's time.

I was being (a bit) tongue in cheek... there's been a bit of hoohaa about that corner in the SoG thread :p

Wednesday. 6.16 miles in 1:04:20 ave pace 10.26. ave hr 166.
    As instructed by RK I did 2 easy (11:02/10:30), 2 @ pmp (a bit faster 9:52/9:49) and 2 easy (10:49/10:53) + .16 back to the car.

Right shin and calf a bit achy so stopped to stretch after the first mile which helped and moved to the other side of the road where the camber seemed to suit better. Fine for the rest. Happy to have kept up the pace for mile 4 which was a bit of an uphill drag.

there's been a bit of hoohaa about that corner in the SoG thread :p

I remember feeling a bit of a hoohaa myself about a certain corner in the Dunboyne 4 Mile back in March. Lot of it about. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just catching up on your log LB, you are putting in great training and will be well fit for DCM, now go and register for the bloody thing!! :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    now go and register for the bloody thing!! :D

Hear Hear
    :p

Nope :D I said I'd wait til I've done the half and I'm sticking to my word!

This evening.... 3 very long very slow miles on 2 very tired legs.
    there'll be days like that :( Thankfully I have two days rest now and then the big 13 miler on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good luck with LSR on Sunday LB, you'll blitz it. In the meantime enjoy the rest days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

...two days rest now and then the big 13 miler on Sunday.

Good luck with the 13 miles at the weekend!
    I have a similar run on Sunday, but I'm heading west for the Mammy's birthday, so I'll be pounding the flat boring roads around the Roscommon hinterland instead of the scenic beauty of the rolling Kilteernan countryside.
    Enjoy yours. :p

• Advertisement

Thankfully I have two days rest now and then the big 13 miler on Sunday.

Good luck with that. Heading out myself in an hour or so for a 24k. My legs are all "jittery" with the extra 24 hours rest they've just had since my last run on Wednesday :D

Emer911 wrote: »
    but I'm heading west for the Mammy's birthday, so I'll be pounding the flat boring roads around the Roscommon hinterland

does not compute :confused::p I suppose you are heading west but stopping slightly to the left of the middle :p Enjoy your nice short (for you now) 13 miler. Flat sounds good to me regardless of the scenery!

13.1 miles in 2:20:31, average pace 10.43, average hr 168

Up before 7 and had weetabix with a sprinkling of chia seeds, pottered around for a bit getting gels, drink (water/ 1 tsp chia + miwadi) etc ready and headed over to Annaghdown for two loops of the 6 mile route + 1mile added. Started slow as planned 11.03 but this was to be the only > 11 min mile as I settled into a comfortable pace. Like my 12 miler two weeks ago hr stayed low (150s) for the first two miles but unlike that run it settled at mid/ low 160s after that and stayed there for all of the first loop. Stopped at the car and had a gel/ some of my water mix and took the rest with me. Met BJohnson (similarly armed with his chia drink )at about 7 miles heading the opposite direction, exchanged pleasantries and kept going. HR climbed into the 170s for miles 8 and 9, another gel at 9 and was surprised when HR was back in the 160s for mile 10. Into the low 170s for miles 11 and 12. Passing by my car was HARD and for mile 13 as expected in a new distance HR climbed up to 176 but I don't mind that for the last mile. Added .1 to bring it up to HM distance.

All in all two minutes faster than my Connemara HM time:) so I unless I'm ill or injured in 2 weeks time I think I can expect a PB. 2.10 might be pushing it a bit.. 2.15 might be a more realistic target but I'll see how it goes. Very happy with todays run and completely converted to the wonders of the chia seed :D Faster pace and lower HR than my 12 miler two weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Chia seeds are indeed fantastic! Fair play on the run. A pre-Galway taper to come, followed by a ramp-up for DCM?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

A near miss for us meeting yet again, I was over at the Annaghdown swimming around 1.30, didnt stay long though as only trying to cool the legs down and had no wetsuit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

whats with all these people running aroound Annaghdown all of a sudden, and how come I never see any of ye !!

ronanmac wrote: »
    Chia seeds are indeed fantastic! Fair play on the run. A pre-Galway taper to come, followed by a ramp-up for DCM?!

That's the (scary:eek:) plan Rónan! If I feel half human after Galway I'll sign up. Though when I was finishing my second loop today I couldn't imagine myself heading into a 3rd loop. I guess I'll get there by degrees!
    catweazle wrote: »
    A near miss for us meeting yet again, I was over at the Annaghdown swimming around 1.30, didnt stay long though as only trying to cool the legs down and had no wetsuit

I was there early and gone by 11. I didn't go down to the pier at all...I must remember that for next week and go for a paddle after (if I'm there next week).
    Speedy44 wrote: »
    whats with all these people running aroound Annaghdown all of a sudden, and how come I never see any of ye !!

I have another 6 mile loop in Glencorrib which is closer that I run sometimes but its hillier and always seems windy so I just really like that Annaghdown loop as it's not too taxing for a long run. It's lovely and quiet on Sunday mornings ( because you're off in Galway running twice as fast as the rest of us:p!). I saw a couple of other runners out and a few cyclists too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

That's the (scary:eek:) plan Rónan! If I feel half human after Galway I'll sign up. Though when I was finishing my second loop today I couldn't imagine myself heading into a 3rd loop. I guess I'll get there by degrees!

I was there early and gone by 11. I didn't go down to the pier at all...I must remember that for next week and go for a paddle after (if I'm there next week).

I have another 6 mile loop in Glencorrib which is closer that I run sometimes but its hillier and always seems windy so I just really like that Annaghdown loop as it's not too taxing for a long run. It's lovely and quiet on Sunday mornings ( because you're off in Galway running twice as fast as the rest of us:p!). I saw a couple of other runners out and a few cyclists too.

have an 18miler scheduled for Tuesday in Annaghdown, think I'll have to take in some of Corrandulla as well :rolleyes:, just hope its not as hot as today.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    have an 18miler scheduled for Tuesday in Annaghdown, think I'll have to take in some of Corrandulla as well :rolleyes:, just hope its not as hot as today.

IT was a scorcher alright. I was very glad to be finished early. 18 miles :eek: I must investigate the other roads down there to make my loop longer when I need to. There again I like the safety net of the car every 6 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

does not compute :confused::p I suppose you are heading west but stopping slightly to the left of the middle :p Enjoy your nice short (for you now) 13 miler. Flat sounds good to me regardless of the scenery!

That's west from my perspective?!:D Obviously not from yours!

Advertisement