Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Connemara to Galway (maybe)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

littlebug wrote: »
    Does that mean I'm doing a marathon? I don't know... maybe...

Yes yes yes it does!! Well done littlebug, great time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

congrats LB. It was definitely a tough course, I thought we would have some respite on the 2nd half but mile 7 - 8.5 nearly killed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done Littlebug! Sounds like a tough course and you still got a pb, brilliant. Now, off you go and sign up for DCM, pronto:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Speedy44 wrote: »
    congrats LB. It was definitely a tough course, I thought we would have some respite on the 2nd half but mile 7 - 8.5 nearly killed me.

I was very glad to read that you found it tough too! I know we're in different leagues speedwise but it's all relative. I never recovered from that horrible stretch at 7-8.5!

Found my ant stick (under the sofa:rolleyes:) HR 199 on the finish line but had hit 198 (97%) at 12 miles :eek: No wonder I had to walk! I also walked through the water stations (cups) so that probably cost me a few seconds at each one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Well done LB. A great performance, and a nice new PB to boot. Now onwards to DCM. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Congratulations on the PB, littlebug. You know you're sucked into running when you're disappointed despite beating your PB by seven minutes! Now, in this order, you need to:
    1. Register for DCM
    2. Book a hotel
    3. Find a babysitter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

LB that's great running and well done on the PB. It sounded like a really tough course and probably windy in parts too. You should be really happy with that.

Be seeing you in Dublin on Oct bank holiday then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

LB well done on the PB 7 mins is a serious improvement.

Now go register for DCM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done littlebug, nice PB there :D

Get yourself registered up for DCM before Wednesday, as the price goes up on the 1st Sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Legs are fine for running it seems... lungs and heart just haven't caught up yet :( The massage man said I have nice loose/ soft muscles, unusually loose (or maybe he said soft (shrugs) :o he said it like it was a good thing so I'll take it as a compliment :D

Does that mean I'm doing a marathon? I don't know... maybe...

That's a good sign I remember the physio telling me after running the Clarinbridge 10 miles that my muscles were still nice and loose after it, that may well mean that you have more miles in your leg. The Marathon looks a real possibility now for you alright, remember you wont be running at sundays pace in October

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    That's a good sign I remember the physio telling me after running the Clarinbridge 10 miles that my muscles were still nice and loose after it, that may well mean that you have more miles in your leg. The Marathon looks a real possibility now for you alright, remember you wont be running at sundays pace in October

Yeah legs were and still are fine. Front of my thighs hurt a wee bit now but i jumped out of the cold bath yesterday before the water reached that far as I couldn't hack it :D
    My average pace yesterday was 10.19 which is spot on for 4.30 marathon...but the way I ran yesterday there's no way I could have maintained that any further. realistically yesterdays run would predict 4.45 marathon.
    I think I need to do more of my midweek runs at pace to try to maintain that pace for longer and keep hr lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done littlebug - bank the PB's as they come along, they're an obvious sign of progress - onwards and upwards!

Mr Higdon wanted 4 miles today. Legs said "nooooooo" but I ignored them and ploughed on. I was a wee bit wobbly for the first slow mile but stopped and stretched a bit and was grand after that. 4 miles@ 11.30/10.36/10/ 10.20My legs feel much better after it than before. The worst offender is the bruising (feels bruised doesn't look bruised) on top of right top from the shoe being laced too tightly.
    Mr Higdon wants 8 tomorrow. New rules.....
    1. "some" of midweek run miles @pmp.
    2. No stopping for gels/ water/ to let HR slow down... my poor heart didnt' know what was going on on sunday when I didn't stop. Slow down by all means but no stopping.
    3. .....ehhh I'm sure I'll think of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Only saw your race report now, it's hard keeping track of all the logs.
    Just wanted to add my congrats. Deffo sign up for the marathon. As people on here said to me 'you know you want to!!'. :D

jcsmum wrote: »
    Only saw your race report now, it's hard keeping track of all the logs.
    Just wanted to add my congrats. Deffo sign up for the marathon. As people on here said to me 'you know you want to!!'. :D

I know.... I have to decide today before the price goes up!

I know.... I have to decide today before the price goes up!

We've already made that decision for you.:D:D All you have to do is pay.... :p:p

Simples....:pac::pac::pac:

Hal wanted 8 today so Hal got 8.2 :cool: another glorious morning in Annaghdown.
    I've decided that I just don't push myself enough so went out with the aim of changing that.
    I started with 2 easy miles 10.45/10.41 then 4miles @< pmp 9.54/9.43/9.48/9.47 and finished with 2 more easy miles 11.40/10.46 and added an extra .2 to bring my total mileage this year up to 600.
    8.2, average pace 10.17, average hr 172 (max 187).

The question now is if I could do that today with relative ease then wtf happened to me on Sunday :confused: I suspect the answer is simple.... hills :( There was nothing too taxing on todays route other than a bit between 6.5 and 7 miles in the warmdown phase (note very slow mile).
    so I either have to do more hill work or only ever run flat races...hmmmm :D

In other news
    "(Littlebug) Thank you for entering the Lifestyle Sports - adidas Dublin Marathon, your marathon race number is 14556". Fook it... I might never get the chance again. If it takes me 5+ hours who cares. I'll aim to get round and enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Congrats and best of luck, you are right you have a lot of the training done and you might not get the chance again.

You are right trying to push it, I think I was coasting along at paces outside what I planned to do on the day and my legs wasn't able for 26 of them. Throw in a couple of fast miles on your midweek runs and you might be paced by the legendary Izoard in the sub 4.30 (Dont know the other 4.30 pacers)

I am sure it isnt totally but everyone tells me Dublin is flat and fast, so save Knockma training for the Ultra in Connemara next year ;)

Cheers everyone. No backing out now!
    catweazle wrote: »
    so save Knockma training for the Ultra in Connemara next year ;)

yeah right :p
    Btw Catweazle I called in to Marreys cycles in Ballinrobe today and got some gels... i think you had mentioned in some other thread that they have them there. I'd never have thought of it so it's good to know and it's much easier for me than going in to Galway. They have a good selection too. Busy place.

Very tired today but I covered the required 4 miles slowly. Very slowly. I didn't bother with the garmin so as not to embarrass myself :o
    Sunday (or saturday) will be a "longest run ever" day with 16 miles being the plan.
    lsrs are usually on sundays.... I may juggle things around a bit as I may need to do next weeks lsr on Friday to free the weekend for some drunken debauchery.

• Advertisement

Excellent well done on signing up and def no backing out now :D.

You seem to have recovered well from half, any tips?

shazkea wrote: »
    You seem to have recovered well from half, any tips?

Keep moving :D No really.... on Tuesday when I came down the stairs (gingerly) I thought there was no way I could run a step let alone 4 miles but once I had done one slow mile and stretches the rest were easy. In fact my legs felt better running than walking. I do feel really tired today but I think that's just the accumulation of the weeks running rather than the half. I think it also shows that I could have done a lot better as I obviously wasn't completely spent!
    There's no comparison between how I have felt this week and how I felt after the Connemara half (and Craughwell 10 before it). I may not be an awful lot faster but endurance and recovery are much better so I suppose that's progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Sunday (or saturday) will be a "longest run ever" day with 16 miles being the plan.

Good luck with the 16. It's a major milestone - closer to 20 than 10!!
    Make sure you pick a nice route and take it handy!

...free the weekend for some drunken debauchery.
    Oh I barely remember what that felt like :rolleyes:
    The things we give up in the name of sport!?
    Roll on September 27th - assuming I can still move - there'll be an almighty party in Berlin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Emer911 wrote: »
    Roll on September 27th - assuming I can still move - there'll be an almighty party in Berlin :D
    And all that delicious German beer - you've earned it! :D

LONGEST RUN EVER (been waiting to say that:D)
    Phew ... 16 miles is a whole other ballgame :eek: Considering my previous longest run was a half marathon with a very slow shuffle to and from the start/finish line this was a big jump for me. I was grand for the first 7.5, took a gel at 4 and then stopped at 7.5 at the car for another gel and to replenish my water supply. I probably stopped for too long as I started to get cold. With hindsight I also probably overcooked the first half a bit (average was 10.36ish or thereabouts). Off on my second lap by 10 miles my hr was skyrocketing and I stopped a min to let it settle and to re-establish a slower pace. Mile 12 I stopped for another gel and took a long time to get going again. after that I was knackered :( and stopped every mile. At 15 I got into the car to ring home as my "if I haven't arrived home by..." time was nearly up. I had a banana, finished my drink and boy was it tough to get out and do that last mile! But I did......
    16 miles in 2 hrs 52, average MOVING time 10.40 but I was out there (not moving :p) for over half an hour longer. I know I said I would slow down rather than stop from now on but I'm undecided about this one. I covered every step of the 16 miles running at my usual lsr pace so that can't be a bad thing can it? Given that this has been a tough week with my highest mileage ever I think I can cut myself some slack. Seeing as I did this lsr on sat rather than sun then counting last sundays miles I have covered 47 miles in 7 days :eek:
    Next time out i'll maybe... eh... have a proper breakfast first :o Hopefully I'll be ok for a bit longer next time. in the meantime thank heaven for step back week though i still have to cover it all by Friday. It's no joke this marathon training business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good stuff out of you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Congrats! 16 miles under the belt!! Good one!

Well done. They do become more of a mental exercise as the numbers increase.

Well done LB and more so for keeping going to make sure you finished it - def a pat on the back for a high mileage week :D. Now go and enjoy the rest this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭jlang

Well done. It'll be easier next time. Doesn't get much wetter than the Park this morning.

I used to stop at the car for a few minutes each time I did a lap but realised it got harder and harder to get going once my body started locking up. Now it's just enough time to grab a drink, possibly a little stretch and off again.

Advertisement