Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attendances this weekend at PL games........

• 20-04-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭

Right,
    Having heard that last nights attendance at Anfield was 6000 below capacity and it being the lowest attendance in 6 years I wondered whether this was a trend at the "bigger" clubs this weekend in England.
    Anyone know the Old Trafford/WHL attendances for the big games?
    Was anfield part of the bigger trend due to "foreign" fans not being able to fly in to watch the games? Does this show how many fans fly to England to watch the games of the big clubs?
    Or is it simply because it was a monday evening game against a relatively poor side in a season where in the league, theres very little to play for?
    I suppose you could read into it more and wonder why in the week that the club was put up for sale fans didnt flock out in support of the "new" Liverpool?
    Any thoughts and figures from the other games this weekend to see why the attendances was so low?

I know sizeable numbers of Irish fans flock to Anfield on a Saturday, do the same number go on a monday night usually and is this 6K in numbers attributed to the ash cloud?
    Kippy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Could well be a combonation of all of the above really.

A lot of fans would have missed this due to travel restrictions and a Monday night game against a struggling West Ham probably kept away the Scouse fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

travel restriction and a mid week game at the end of a poor season would explain the low attendance last night at anfield...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

A lot of clubs include season ticket seats sold (but not necessarily occupied) for their attendance figures, mine was empty (unless my mate managed to shift the spare) but would be counted as full at WHL.

Figures will be deceptive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United are pretty much teethering on the edge of being full every week, but are just about doing it. Tickets are on sale to general members for most matches. Uniteds demand however isnt indicative of a general decline but a massive increases in prices.

Ultimately, barring the hardcore, fans want to see one of two things: winning or attractive football. It is no surprise to me that United, Arsenal and Spurs are able to sell-out on a very regular basis as they all play attacking football. Chelsea are able to sell out because they are winning. Clubs that aren't winning but play dire boring defensive football will never fill stadiums. What they dont realise is that in the long run, I think its bad for them. It means that they'll never build up the attendence figures which in the long run will help them develop as clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

A lot of clubs include season ticket seats sold (but not necessarily occupied) for their attendance figures, mine was empty (unless my mate managed to shift the spare) but would be counted as full at WHL.

Figures will be deceptive.

Is your ticket not scanned going in? i don't know the set up at WHL, but say at Sunderland season ticket holders scan their card to get in, i presume if they don't scan it, it won't count as a person being there that day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

United's game was at COMS, not OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Is your ticket not scanned going in? i don't know the set up at WHL, but say at Sunderland season ticket holders scan their card to get in, i presume if they don't scan it, it won't count as a person being there that day.

a lot of clubs list seats sold as their attendance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

With the exception of Pompy vs Villa which had an attendance of 2,000 below average, and Liverpool vs West Ham, all the other PL matches had attendances of a shade above average

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    With the exception of Pompy vs Villa which had an attendance of 2,000 below average, and Liverpool vs West Ham, all the other PL matches had attendances of a shade above average

Arsenal and Man U played away though, and they (along with Liverpool) would have the largest contingent on non UK based fans.

As far as I know, the Liverpool WH game was sold out as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Spurs have old style season books, with vouchers for each game. They do not count the vouchers before announcing the attendance.

We are bringing in credit card style ST next season, though I believe other clubs that have them also count all ST seats as sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Season tickets or not, there were at least 6k Empty seats at Anfield. Are people saying that there were potentially more due to the fact that they count season tickets seats as "full" whether there is a customer there or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Spurs have old style season books, with vouchers for each game. They do not count the vouchers before announcing the attendance.

We are bringing in credit card style ST next season, though I believe other clubs that have them also count all ST seats as sold.

Yeah, id imagine season tickets are counted as sold,

I'd still be imagining that they would also need a count on people who have turned up, for safety reasons.

I've no idea on the ins and outs, just always thought attendance was a count of who turned up and not just seats sold.

Advertisement