Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is being fat/obese socially acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

tc2010 wrote: »
    by trying hard are we talking about the women in the gym who wont lift more than 4kgs then go home and lift up there children no bother :D

funny how these people who cant lose weight due to some genetic condition have become a lot more popular these days.

when 90% of peoples shopping come in cardboard boxes and 2 for 1 offers it ends in a situation like this

nutrition and exercise should be thought properly in schools. 2 hours a week to save a lifetime worth of misery
    I beileve you mean 'taught properly'..............clearly English grammar isn't a strong point in education either! :S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

prinz wrote: »
    If the kid comes to associate achievement with some sort of external reward yes. Again in moderation it's fine IMO. However it again seems to me that the level of what consitutes an 'achievement' is slipping year on year and the rewards are getting bigger and bigger. A huge sense of entitlement develops.

For fear of going round the houses on this one, the above seems to be the core of your concern. And with that, I can agree. But as I said earlier, the fact that some/many parents are 'abusing' a treat/reward system does not make a treat/reward system a bad thing.

Balance and moderation is the important thing. Which is why parents who treat kids to McDonalds for not creating a tantrum in the supermarket annoy the hell out of me. But it is equally why people/parents who preach about the ills of giving kids a reward for hard work annoy the hell out of me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I beileve you mean 'taught properly'..............clearly English grammar isn't a strong point in education either! :S
    14-point ellipses are frowned upon by the literary elite as well. Don't be mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

topper75 wrote: »
    I am trying to picture this and can't. 13 stone for that height and 'reasonably slim'. height typo?

I hope you keep training and get the better of that wagon btw;). I don't agree with people being fat but she has no licence for direct personal abuse. Nice irony if she is chubbing up!

Was thinking that too, doesn't quite compute?

How great about yer woman though, talk about karma :) Can't believe she said that to you what a cow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Pace2008 wrote: »
    14-point ellipses are frowned upon by the literary elite as well. Don't be mean.
    Can't believe anyone just had the gall to count how many flippin' dots I put in.... Also, I believe the knowledgeable ones would allow for this as it denotes thinking, delay in response...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

topper75 wrote: »
    I13 stone for that height and 'reasonably slim'. height typo?

Nope, it's right.

My sister is a size 10 and slightly shorter at 5'6 and she's over 11 stone.

Apparantly we are of heavy builds or so the guy in the gym told me! Based on fat %.

I wasn't a skinny person but I couldn't have pinched an inch when I was 13 stone.

Can't believe anyone just had the gall to count how many flippin' dots I put in.... Also, I believe the knowledgeable ones would allow for this as it denotes thinking, delay in response...
    A standard three-dot ellipsis would have been fine, and the LEN function in excel counted them for me :D

Anyway, I'm not a huge proponent of prescriptive grammar, your English is otherwise sound, and this is wildly off-topic...so peace out.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

For all you need too know about obesity and weight click here

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Fat

Extremely insightful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ash23 wrote: »
    I think there is a fat gene. Or maybe it's the way family eating habits are passed down. I dunno but all of the women in my family are overweight bar one or two and they are the ones with slim mothers (in laws). Is it the parenting or the genes? I don't know.
    I think there is a genetic component alright. A couple of different genes most likely? Gene's affecting how the body regulates insulin, the amount of fat cells you have "out of the box", efficiency of the liver, muscle mass, hormonal differences(maybe biologist/medic types could weigh in here with other or different mechanisms?). Men generally find it easier to drop weight than women too. Testosterone "burns" fat and builds muscle mass which in turn uses way more calories than fatty tissue just sitting there. So there's defo gender diffs. Obese men also tend to have lower levels of testosterone than "normal" sized men and as men age the test level drops so middle aged spread comes into it?

These genes were obviously an advantage in the past over those who couldnt put on weight. Maybe this fat virus switches on one or more of these genes in susceptible people?

Then you have the environment. Clearly people were skinnier in the past and in the case of women of a different shape as the clothes size record shows(more hourglass, less apple shaped). So between the two we arrive at today.

Whats changed? More carbs in the diet. More (bad)veggie oils. Less animal fat. Bigger portions(look at antique dinner plates, they're smaller).

More novel foods too. Novel foods local populations maybe arent adapted to yet. Soya is considered a "healthy" food, yet has only been eaten in the west in the last 20 years. The Asians have had it for 2000 years(and in much smaller portions and mostly in different forms), so have had time to adapt. May sound a wierd one, but the fastest genetic changes in our species have been in the last 10,000 years, mostly to do with diet adaptations. Hunter gatherers are usually lactose and gluten intolerant. Many Asians, especially Indians are lactose intolerant as dairy doesnt figure in their diet. Its fne for most europeans. Same with alcohol. Many Asians are missing the gene that breaks down alcohol as they brewed teas to sterilse water. Ireland has a very high proportion of coeliacs(gluten intolerance) which some think may be due to our dependence for a few centuries on the potato, not wheat for starch. If true it shows how slow adaptation may be or how fast we lose the ability to break down certain foods. Add in that soya products may have a hormonal effect as chemicals present mimic oestrogen and dropping that into a population may have an effect. Other novel foods may have similar effects. Young Latin men and women tend to be smaller than Irish and British. Clothes sizes seem to show that too. They tend to eat what they've always eaten though. Less maccy dees and more trad tappas type snack food etc.

Then you have the exercise thing too...

In my humble, if I was raising genetically "irish" kids I would try to avoid bread and wheat products, avoid soya like the plague, only use olive oil, add more veg and lean meats and fish. And reduce portions. Basically eat what the great grandparents ate and leave the car at home more.
    I moved in with him. He was the same height and about 9 stone, had a 28" waist and lived off pizza and beer. Yeah, I was weak willed and when he'd suggest a 3 course take away I'd go for it, a tub of haagen daaz, sure! Why not.
    He remained 9 stone. I went up to 19. :eek:
    He had the testosterone advantage right off the bat. So even if you were eating the same portions he was ahead on points. Duble his advantage if you were on the pill. Plus I have noticed more women get into settled mode physically than men. Men tend to get into settled mode emotionally though. In general and IMH of course. I know men who piled on the weight too, but Ive known more far men notice or complain of the GF putting on weight, than the other way around. And Ive heard more women notice or complain that the BF doesnt make the emotional/romantic effort he used to than the other way around.
    2 years on I'm living alone and down to 14 stone. Still a ways to go but I'll get there.
    Fair play.
    Saw her recently. She's living with him and she must be about 3 stone bigger........
    Possibly for the same reasons above.

TL;DR? well this block of text will end the thread :p:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

drkpower wrote: »
    What about when it becomes intrinsically linked to hard work and achievement? Is that a good thing?
    Of course, but when it's awarded consistently to the extent that hard work and the good feelings derived from tasty food may start to become mutually exclusive you have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Wibbs wrote: »

Whats changed? More carbs in the diet. More (bad)veggie oils. Less animal fat. Bigger portions(look at antique dinner plates, they're smaller).

More novel foods too. Novel foods local populations maybe arent adapted to yet. Soya is considered a "healthy" food, yet has only been eaten in the west in the last 20 years. The Asians have had it for 2000 years(and in much smaller portions and mostly in different forms), so have had time to adapt. May sound a wierd one, but the fastest genetic changes in our species have been in the last 10,000 years, mostly to do with diet adaptations. Hunter gatherers are usually lactose and gluten intolerant. Many Asians, especially Indians are lactose intolerant as dairy doesnt figure in their diet. Its fne for most europeans. Same with alcohol. Many Asians are missing the gene that breaks down alcohol as they brewed teas to sterilse water. Ireland has a very high proportion of coeliacs(gluten intolerance) which some think may be due to our dependence for a few centuries on the potato, not wheat for starch. If true it shows how slow adaptation may be or how fast we lose the ability to break down certain foods. Add in that soya products may have a hormonal effect as chemicals present mimic oestrogen and dropping that into a population may have an effect. Other novel foods may have similar effects. Young Latin men and women tend to be smaller than Irish and British. Clothes sizes seem to show that too. They tend to eat what they've always eaten though. Less maccy dees and more trad tappas type snack food etc.

Spot on! The issue is so complex, far more complex than 'eat less, move more' anyhow.

There's a lot of research at the moment showing what a grandmother eats before they have kids can affect the predisposed weight of the grandchildren.

I personally think the switch from traditional fats such as lard, tallow, butter and olive oil to industrial vegetable oil is a huge piece of the puzzle. There's some research showing that too much omega 6 actually distorts appetite causing people to eat more than they would if they were obtaining their fat from natural sources.

I expect with current government recommendations that we'll be getting even fatter in the years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

why is feeding a child ****ty Mcdonalds food considered a treat?
    I gotta agree, it's tastes mank all greasy and chewy:mad:

Spot on! The issue is so complex, far more complex than 'eat less, move more' anyhow.

There's a lot of research at the moment showing what a grandmother eats before they have kids can affect the predisposed weight of the grandchildren.
    Links? What you're talking about sounds very much like Lamarckian evolution, which was discredited in the 19th century.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Links? What you're talking about sounds very much like Lamarckian evolution, which was discredited in the 19th century.
    Yes and no. Its far more complex than that. It seems inherited traits due to environmental stresses maybe have some basis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamarckism#Current_views_on_.22Lamarckism.22

In any event it doesnt have to be lamarckism in the classical sense. If nothing else nutrition could affect the quality of sperm/eggs, will influence the development in the womb and it seems influence preferred tastes in the offspring. http://www.parentingscience.com/prenatal-learning-about-food.html People having children later with possible age related gene damage in the gametes may make the children more prone to weight gain. May even be an adaptation? An organism that reproduces later than normal may select for conservation of fat, in case the parental delay was down to low resources in the environment. That my just thought of wacky one though :D It would be interesting to compare children of older parents(without older siblings) and children of younger parents to see if theres a diff?

I do remember a couple of studies in rodents that showed the diet of the grandparents affected the health of the grandchildren and that it took at least 2 more generations of proper nutrition to get back on track compared to controls.

Recently I read of a study that showed people who ate certain foods all their lives had different levels of particular bacteria to digest said foods and the bacteria hitched onto the foods themselves. Cant recall the food type though. But our guts are complex things with way more going on than the yakult ad suggests(there are bugs that eat carbs from the gut and if you starve them release chemical signals that make you crave sugars), so the bacteria complex may something a lot to do with it without any lamarckism being involved.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Here ya go: http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/5/1/26

Rat studies I know, but it's all we have, human studies are far too unwieldy for this sort of things.

There's more studies on cats too but I can't track them down right now.

Never heard of Lamarckian evolution before, had a quick google, I don't think that applies in this case. It's well known that insulin sensitivity can be determined in the womb from the mothers blood glucose levels.

If the mother is insulin resistant, the baby is exposed to high levels of blood glucose, and since insulin can't cross the placenta but glucose can, the baby's born insulin resistant too, if that baby grows up and has a baby..you see where I'm going with this.

But yeah, even that isn't the whole story..bottom line it's really complicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Noreen1 wrote:
    I have a friend who has struggled with his weight for 15 years. His diet is healthy, he walks approx. 5 miles a day.
    He eats half what I eat, and does a lot more exercise, yet he has constant problems with his weight, whereas I have none.
    Interestingly, two of his siblings that I am aware of, also have weight issues, though I cannot verify that they have a healthy lifestyle.

Tell him to do resistance training or some form of real excercise instead of walking. Burns a tiny amount of calories. Also are you sure he's not lying. Overweight people are notorious for under-reporting food intake. Its hugely problematic in nutrition/dietetic research.
    Noreen1 wrote: »

I have a daughter who struggles with her weight. She eats the same diet as the rest of the family. She exercises regularly. She continues to have a problem with her weight, whereas the rest of the family do not. Interestingly, she has very similar physical characteristics to her great-grandmother, who also had weight issues.
    Both my daughter and my friend have been to the doctor for help. After the usual blood tests/thyroid check/diet sheet - they were found to have a healthy lifestyle.

Is your daughter shorter than the rest? Can you guarantee she doesn't snack any more than the others. How old is she? I mean I don't wanna make her feel bad but it someone's prone to storing more fat they should probably eat less.
    A "fat gene" may or may not exist, but it is certain that science has yet to find a solution for those who struggle to maintain a healthy weight, while maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

I disagree.

Tell him to do resistance training or some form of real excercise instead of walking. Burns a tiny amount of calories. Also are you sure he's not lying. Overweight people are notorious for under-reporting food intake. Its hugely problematic in nutrition/dietetic research.
    Partially. I know a woman who is overweight. Now she used to eat a lot years back(and readily admits same) and gained the weight accordingly. Now she eats normally and healthily(I holidayed with her once) and some weight has dropped off, but nowhere near to her old size. There was a horizon programme about this about two years ago and researchers found that if you put on a large amount of weight, even if you cut way below the normal intake of calories the fat was very hard to shift. You had to eat quite a normal amount to maintain the weight gain. As if the body had a memory of the previous size and got stuck there and wanted to go back, contrary to the notion that the body always wants to be healthy. Going up was easy, going down was much harder, certainly by diet alone. Exercise was a major help, but depending on the size reached in the first place mobility was a factor. In one experiment an obese man didnt eat at all for just over a year. Just liquids and supplementation. So was just living off his fat reserves and yes he lost a lot of weight but even after that time hadnt gone back to normal.

Is your daughter shorter than the rest? Can you guarantee she doesn't snack any more than the others. How old is she? I mean I don't wanna make her feel bad but it someone's prone to storing more fat they should probably eat less.
    Healthy eating and exercise that includes the family type advice yes, putting pressure and possibly triggering a lifetime of extra emotional pressure or worse an eating disorder, no Thrice no.

I disagree.
    One can disagree all one wants but research is showing that there are a helluva lot of complex variables at work. While eat less move more is the general gist, those values and results vary quite markedly between people and depend on how heavy a person gets in the first place. Dropping two stone? Pretty easy. Dropping ten? Exponentially more difficult, not five times.

People differ too much. EG I'm pretty skinny. A smidgin over 10 stones at 5'11. Feel better maybe half a stone under that and I dont look particularly scrawny even in the nip :eek: :D. I eat very little. way below average. A mate wanted to drop weight and as hes my height and close to my frame, he reckoned he would eat what I eat. So I showed him my diet. He lasted under a week and felt faint and dizzy and sick after three days. I could go two or three days without eating and feel fine and wouldnt be that hungry until day three. Could you? So while there are general guidelines, for me to posit what works for me as something that would work for another, even though you would lose weight would not be for everyone. Like I say people differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

techdiver wrote: »
    As the title says.

Society makes a big deal of advertising the dangers of smoking and alcohol abuse.

With the smoking ban and higher taxes on tobacco and alcohol, will it ever become acceptable to come out and say to someone who is obese that they are in fact fat and need to loose weight? I have read many articles etc that claim that obesity is set to move to top spot in the scale of biggest risk to health and the leading cause of death.

It is acceptable to tell some one to cut down on the smoking and drinking but not the eating....

Any thoughts?

Well let's put it this way; alcohol and tobacco indirectly causes me harm. When I'm on my way home from a night out and accosted by some drunken misfit, alcohol is causing me a problem. Many, many, MANY people share my experience, so because of the mistreatment of alcohol we have something that causes harm to society.

I have no problem with people who smoke, but again, what they do is causing me indirect harm when I am in their presence. It's something that affects me.

People who are obese on the other hand do not cause me harm. Perhaps to themselves. But not to me. So each to their own I say. I don't believe in the tired excuse of "drain on the taxpayer"; listen, there are plenty of drains on the taxpayer but people don't seem to care. No, they only complain about the drain that "offends their eyes".

Another thing is that when I hear opinions like yours OP, you'd swear people who smoke and who drink are being persecuted and abused on the street, and you use that delusion to think you should have a right to openly abuse fat/obese people on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Partially. I know a woman who is overweight. Now she used to eat a lot years back(and readily admits same) and gained the weight accordingly. Now she eats normally and healthily(I holidayed with her once) and some weight has dropped off, but nowhere near to her old size. There was a horizon programme about this about two years ago and researchers found that if you put on a large amount of weight, even if you cut way below the normal intake of calories the fat was very hard to shift. You had to eat quite a normal amount to maintain the weight gain. As if the body had a memory of the previous size and got stuck there and wanted to go back, contrary to the notion that the body always wants to be healthy. Going up was easy, going down was much harder, certainly by diet alone. Exercise was a major help, but depending on the size reached in the first place mobility was a factor. In one experiment an obese man didnt eat at all for just over a year. Just liquids and supplementation. So was just living off his fat reserves and yes he lost a lot of weight but even after that time hadnt gone back to normal.

The thing is I thought this thread was more about a healthy weight, not neccesarily an aesthetically pleasing weight. Whilst yes I'd imagine getting older one will find it difficult to get back to their prime time weight I don't believe its difficult for the vast majority of people to get to a weight which puts them outside the diebetes/heart disease high risk zone.

Healthy eating and exercise that includes the family type advice yes, putting pressure and possibly triggering a lifetime of extra emotional pressure or worse an eating disorder, no Thrice no.

I know what you're saying, that's why I asked what age she was. I'm doing a nutrition degree at the moment and when we were learning about adolecent nutrition the lecturer advised you never give them a weight loss diet because it could lead to an eating disorder. I'm not sure I fully agree. If someones getting overweight for whatever reason I'd fear they might start on fad diets (which I believe are the main cause of anorexia nervosa/bulimia nervosa)they read about in girls magazines/the internet so I'm not sure its the right advice.

Also I asked was she shorter because shes eating the same as the rest. I'm a good example here - when I lived with my family we all ate the same meals but I'm 6 inches shorter than my two brothers. Obviously being significantly taller they will burn more calories by just being alive(more muscle tissue needs more energy to run, bigger bone mass needs more calories to maintain/repair etc) and calories I don't use up go into fat storage. Could be the case in this girl, maybe its genetics etc, but eitherway if she doesn't eat less or excersise more she will gain more weight than her siblings.
    One can disagree all one wants but research is showing that there are a helluva lot of complex variables at work. While eat less move more is the general gist, those values and results vary quite markedly between people and depend on how heavy a person gets in the first place. Dropping two stone? Pretty easy. Dropping ten? Exponentially more difficult, not five times.

I don't disagree but as you said 2 stone is pretty easy to lose. If most people classed as overweight/obese lost 2 stone the vast vast majority of them would be in a healthy weight range.
    People differ too much. EG I'm pretty skinny. A smidgin over 10 stones at 5'11. Feel better maybe half a stone under that and I dont look particularly scrawny even in the nip :eek: :D. I eat very little. way below average. A mate wanted to drop weight and as hes my height and close to my frame, he reckoned he would eat what I eat. So I showed him my diet. He lasted under a week and felt faint and dizzy and sick after three days. I could go two or three days without eating and feel fine and wouldnt be that hungry until day three. Could you? So while there are general guidelines, for me to posit what works for me as something that would work for another, even though you would lose weight would not be for everyone. Like I say people differ.

Well I think you're probably an extremely rare case. I'm not suggesting what works for me I'm suggesting what works for the vast majority of people. For the vast majority of people a low GI diet + a few hours of excersise a week will help them shed the pounds quickly. Now I'm not pretending everyone will get the same results, everyone will get some results, in most cases good enough results to maintain a healthy bodyweight. As this isn't difficult I can't see how staying overweight can be classed as anything other than lazyness/a lack of dicipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i dont care if someone is fat or not its there choice(in the vast majority of cases) and thats up to them. it does tell you alot about them as a person though imo(talking about under 40 yr olds here and even more so under 30 yr olds), laziness and lack of willpower is the only excuse for these people

i also think people need to stop being pc about it. if your big enough to take up two seats on a plane / train or whatever you should pay for two ****ing seats. i think letting your child become fat and teaching them the habits to have a fat life is child abuse and should be treated as such. there is no excuse to have lazy fat children none at all accept the parents own laziness(and what do you know fat children in my experience have fat parents, is it nature(genes) or is it nurture(how the parents raise them) i think its 90% the latter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

why is feeding a child ****ty Mcdonalds food considered a treat?

It's not. Not in the long run.

Plus - aren't kids SUPPOSED to try hard in exams?
    Do we really want to raise a generation of spoilt brats who claim credit for stuff they are SUPPOSED to do?

Going to McDonalds cos an exam result is so reflective of the Celtic Tiger mentality, that sense of entitlement that will do sweet FA to get us out of this economic hole. Soft parents, soft kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

PeakOutput wrote: »
    laziness and lack of willpower is the only excuse for these people

Perhaps in some cases, but I think you're making an assumption that fat people are all unhappy with the way they are, and can't do anything about it because of a lack of mental strength. However, there are plenty of overweight people who are happy in their skin and could do something about their weight if they chose to.

But yeah, a lack of willpower is a problem for a lot of people too. They want to lose weight but don't have the determination to see it through. That could be due to a number of reasons. For one they could be trying to lose weight for the wrong reasons such as for other people rather than themselves. So when someone makes a thoughtless remark it makes them angry because they only want to impress people, and in turn they lose their focus. They might get disillusioned when their initial weight loss slows down because they don't realise that their body adapts and that they must intensify their work out. Or it could be a simple problem of being too embarassed to go to the gym or exercise in public. That's understandable as you see plenty of people in real life and on boards share their stories about how they couldn't help but snigger at the fat girl or guy who were struggling in the gym.

I just think people love ridiculing fat people, and if they genuinely wanted someone to lose some weight then they would be constructive in their criticism. That they would encourage them every day to push themselves. You can't get through to someone when all you show them is contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    there are plenty of overweight people who are happy in their skin
    So long as they can all promise to go private on treatment for diabetes type II and high blood pressure etc. later on, I would say "Go stuff your face - it's none of my business" and we can all be happy in our skin!!
    you see plenty of people in real life and on boards share their stories about how they couldn't help but snigger at the fat girl or guy who were struggling in the gym.
    These scumbags are in the minority and to be ignored. 99.99% of people interested in health and fitness are positive-minded and only hold admiration for people who set about tackling their problems.
    You can't get through to someone when all you show them is contempt.
    I think it is valid to hold laziness and poor lifestyle choice in contempt though, rather than the person: hate the sin, not the sinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

People differ too much. EG I'm pretty skinny. A smidgin over 10 stones at 5'11. Feel better maybe half a stone under that and I dont look particularly scrawny even in the nip :eek: :D. I eat very little. way below average.

If you're a smoker, its possible that you're one of the few people in whom the metabolic effects of smoking are vastly more pronounced.

It only happens a few people, although most seem to believe that smoking keeps your weight down, its not the case except for a very few.

If thats the case, and you quit smoking, your appetite and metabolism would adjust accordingly.

I dont think so. I've been always like this. Before I smoked, when I smoked, and when I gave em up for 3 years. An uncle and other rellies who never smoked are the same. I put on maybe half a stone when I gave up the cigs, but that's down to the appetite suppression bit with nicotine and the effects of nicotine withdrawal on insulin levels, but much more to do with the "my hands are bored now, lets eat".

OK Im an extreme, but IMHO people in general have little idea what levels of nutritious food the human body actually requires(depending on the calorie output of an individual). They mistake sugar dips and thirst for hunger or eat empty calories. I know people who get whoosy if they miss a meal FFS, which is mad. Just one meal. Usually people with plenty of "reserves" too. We're not "designed" to have three square meals a day and if you get dizzy after missing a meal, something is out of whack in my humble, either mentally or physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I don't think there is really a way of stopping people being fat or eating without turning into some sort of Nazi like movement. However anyone who defends being fat I believe is either in denial or too lazy themselfs to change it. Nobody who is overweight deep down no matter what they say wants to be like that, not able to run, walk properly, play sports or seem attractive to more attractive men/women. Everybody wants to look and feel good, some work hard at it and soem have to work harder than others but everyone can loose wait if they put the work in, anything else is an exuse or having a low level of respect for yourself or lazy attitude. I would never let myself get so far overweight that I felt bad in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Perhaps in some cases, but I think you're making an assumption that fat people are all unhappy with the way they are, and can't do anything about it because of a lack of mental strength. However, there are plenty of overweight people who are happy in their skin and could do something about their weight if they chose to.

of course people who are fat can be happy and maybe even some are happy with how they look and maybe even some of those arehappy accepting the health consequences

but i dont believe the majority are

and if they are happy with the first two then they have to accept the consequences of their lifestyle ie the health consequences, they cant kick up a stink if ryanair want to chair them for two seats etc

people know how to be healthy its not that difficult, people choose not to be. they choose to drink alcohol and choose to accept its affects, they choose to smoke and live with the consequences and they choose to eat the way they do and they have to live with the consequences.

also alot of people here have said oh my friend eats half as much as me and they are still fat. that is the worst way to lose weight if you starve yourself your body will go into storage overdrive and do its best to not burn fat.

education is definitely a problem as wibbs says we are not built for 3 square meals a day but i assume what he is implying is that we can survive fine on one big meal a day or every two days like our ancestors and thats true, but there is a reason why 30 was old age for them

5/6 smaller meals over the course of a day is far healthier and far more conducive to losing weight and being energetic and healthy(i lost more than 2 stone in just over two months by following these simple steps)

its not rocket science there really are no excuses for most people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

People who are obese on the other hand do not cause me harm. Perhaps to themselves. But not to me.

Speak for yourself, an obese guy stepped on my mother's foot in a pub fifteen years ago and her foot hasn't been right since:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

This thread makes me sad, I hope everyone here who thinks its fun to judge and point and laugh at over weight and obese people get under active thyroids. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I think it's slowly starting to become less and less socially acceptable. Was on a flight a couple of weeks ago and overheard a woman telling her neighbour to keep her legs on her own side, it's not her fault she's so fat.

Advertisement