Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is being fat/obese socially acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

kthnxbai wrote: »
    That's a little bit unfair...

You should hardly be giving out about overweight people and calling them 'tubby' when you've obviously been lucky enough to never have had to struggle with your weight.

You just sound like a spoiled brat! Why are you more entitled to something than anyone else?

i am a spoilt brat :D always have been that has nothing to do with this though, im saying my right to choose a supersize mc donalds meal was removed because some over weight people ate too much fast food! they imposed their weight problems on my food choice!

AND all the over weight people i know are the only ones who complain about weight! i have people comment on how anorexic i look and you know what i dont care, i can eat them under the table anyday! i have genuinely shocked people when they see how much i eat! and i have struggled with my weight on the opposite end i used try desperately to gain some and never could but then i realised i am the size i am, and im not self concious enough to change it!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭kthnxbai

And that's fair enough...

I don't believe in the government trying to look after everyone so much... like if someone wants that much Mac Donalds they'll just get 2 larges....

And although you're comfortable with your weight, you said you've had people comment on it, so you can probably appreciate why calling people tubby is a lil insensitive

And blame the government not fat people for **** like that...they should be allowed to eat as much crap as they like and screw them if it's detrimental to their health

• Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Hideous obese people are are a burden on the health system. They are literally weighing it down.

We can no longer snigger at obese Americans, we have gone the same way. We've turned into a lazy nation.

Get of your fat árses and do a bit of excercise fatties.

Who's forcing you to eat healthily exactly?

healthy eating policies are! i can't find a damn full sugar flump because sugar cause obesity and the low sugar ones taste awful (mere example, but first to mind)
    We were talking about feeding kids not forcing adults to eat a certain way. You're perfectly welcome to ignore the healthy eating guidelines and dig your own early grave if you so wish jsut as much as the person who chooses to smoke or drink heavily etc.

smoking and drinking are drugs! after being around for years scientists have found they are bad for you,

food has also been around for years and its always flip flopping,whats bad today is good tomorrow etc...

example A: eggs! first they are great for you eat lots! then it was oh no they are bad for you dont eat them! then it was actually one a day is ok!

example B: dont eat before swimming, then eat before swimming, followed by eat an hour before swimming, i believe currently its "eat a meal a few hours before and have a packet of crisps right before you swim"

example c: sugar, first it was healthy for you, then it was bad for you, then this splenda crap came along that was good for you, and now they have admitted that splenda is worse than actual sugar because the body can't break it down so you should eat normal sugar again.

Personally I think the good health and long term happiness of the population as a whole is more important than satisfying your particular lust for junk food. I would happily never eat a pack of crisps again if tax on junk food went up to the extent that the cost was prohibitory if it was helping other people to not get diabetes, heart disease or cancer

newsflash! mobile phones cause cancer, radio's cause cancer, smoking causes heart disease, people will die and as cold as it sounds they have to, circle of life and all that, otherwise you get overpopulation, and anyways that will cause food shortages, where you'll have healthy foods not being sufficent supply wise but thats a whole new arguement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hideous obese people are are a burden on the health system. They are literally weighing it down.

We can no longer snigger at obese Americans, we have gone the same way. We've turned into a lazy nation.

My sentiments exactly. Obese people end up with heart disease/diabetes and lots of other unpleasant illnesses because of their weight. So the already overcrowded health service is clogged with people who wouldn't be there if they just PUT DOWN THE FORK... face!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

J2D2 wrote: »
    My sentiments exactly. Obese people end up with heart disease/diabetes and lots of other unpleasant illnesses because of their weight.

Skinny people get type 2 diabetes and heart disease too you know

rarnes1 wrote: »

You could've worded that a little better...

Seriously, why do people think it's ok to talk in such a derogatory manner?

You're perfectly entitled to think overweight/obese people put a strain on the healthcare system, but you could be a little nicer when talking about your fellow man...

Skinny people get type 2 diabetes and heart disease too you know

They do, I won't deny it. However people who eat overly fatty diets full of crap when they know their metabolism isn't up to the job or they're not prepared to exercise to counteract it are a burden. They are selfishly putting themselves in the position and then get on talk shows to cry about it. It sucks to be in that position yes, but seriously you are what you eat.
    You could've worded that a little better...

Seriously, why do people think it's ok to talk in such a derogatory manner?

You're perfectly entitled to think overweight/obese people put a strain on the healthcare system, but you could be a little nicer when talking about your fellow man...

It ok when its self inflicted overindulgence. Some people are obese due to genetics, they have no choice and I've known people who are overweight despite healthy diets and exercise, but when fatties come along after gorging through every fast food joint complaining about how awful it is that this food is available and how its not their fault. Then I chose to condemn them, because they need a very large kick up the arse.

It ok when its self inflicted overindulgence. Some people are obese due to genetics, they have no choice and I've known people who are overweight despite healthy diets and exercise, but when fatties come along after gorging through every fast food joint complaining about how awful it is that this food is available and how its not their fault. Then I chose to condemn them, because they need a very large kick up the arse.

Ok, if there was a fat person complaining that it was someone else's fault they were overweight, fine..

But not all overweight people blame others for their weight... And not all overweight people "gorge through every fast food joint"

People seem to make terrible assumptions about overweight people!

And, now I'm not saying it's got anything to do with yourself, but I'd say a lot of people who are so judgemental don't know what it's like to be looked down upon for their weight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    It's possible, but that's still the parents' prerogative, don't you think? Doesn't mean it's right or it's wrong, it just means that what parents feed their children is up to them. It's not decided by a committee of experts or the government. They can give guidelines but that's all. Not saying it should be one way or another I'm just being realistic. I know most parents wouldn't be too fond of the idea of a teacher telling them what they should be feeding their children. I can imagine most of them getting rather defensive over it actually.

That's a completely different argument than what you presented before. And regarding this new argument I think the teachers are there to you know, teach, and part of that should cover nutrition. So I don't think its the parent's prerogative as you say.

yes they probally are eating junk but you know what some kids CAN! god knows i grew up eating a 12pk of chocolate biscuit bars in one go, an entire madiera slab, a box of strawberries,i used eat daily lollipops, full sugar sherbits, chewy bars, crisps, chocolate...etc what ever i could buy in the shop, and my cereal for breakfast, packet noodles/crisps/cakes for lunch, and dinners varied from take away 3 mights a week to proper dinners...i never went above a size 10!

my brother practically lived on coco pops for breakfast nutella sandwiches for lunch with penguin bars, and would barely eat his dinner (but always managed to have ice cream after :D)

and he's not obese...

what suits some does not suit others and im sick of this healthy eating crap, we should be allowed choose to eat whatever we decide we want and stop enforcing this low fat, low sugar, crap on us just because some people cant handle food!

for me i cant order a supersized mc donalds meal anymore because some tubby couldnt say no! its like what if a group of idiots went out and couldnt tie shoe laces would we switch all shoes to velcro?

I know a dude who smoked 40 a day and lived to be ninety!!! :rolleyes: I think your above post constitutes 'broscience'. Congrats, its basically meaningless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

That's a completely different argument than what you presented before. And regarding this new argument I think the teachers are there to you know, teach, and part of that should cover nutrition. So I don't think its the parent's prerogative as you say.

How is it different? My point stands. The teacher can educate children about nutrition, but they can't tell the children what they can and cannot eat. Not their job. So I disagree and yes it is the parent(s) prerogative.

How is it different? My point stands. The teacher can educate children about nutrition, but they can't tell the children what they can and cannot eat. Not their job. So I disagree and yes it is the parent(s) prerogative.

No one said anything about telling the child what not to eat, its not the responsibility of a toddler to make those decisions. I don't think its unreasonable to tell parents they can't put junkfood in their kids lunch box its only one meal a day anyway whats the big deal with that? Surely for any parent it is desirable to encourage the health of their kids and their kids friends in every way?

People seem to make terrible assumptions about overweight people!

its not just overweight people, people make terrible assumptions over 'skinny' people, 'asian' people, 'jewish' people, 'catholic' people...etc people group and make assumptions about people.

its just some groups have gone very PC and you can't say boo to a ghost any more, i have no hatred towards any group, but then some groups (and individuals) annoy me when they impose their problems on me and others and i feel the need to speak up!

thus some overweight people are the only ones you hear complaining because people like me are told we can live our lives the way we want and yet these same people are imposing this healthy eating policy!!

if my daughter wants an apple ill give her an apple, if she wants a milky bar ill give her a milky bar, if she wants crisps, ill give her those too! she can choose just like i did, just like people before me did...she will know dinners at 6pm every night and shes not to eat just before it, she will have cereal or toast for breakfast and a lunch at 1pm and what ever she wants in between she'll know herself what shes in the mood to eat. and i refuse to force her into healthy eating or allowing a school or creche to.

no negitive or postive food images will be given to her, im not making a big deal out of foods she eats and she won't associate food with being a big deal! i've heard of many a toddler refusing to eat because of parents making a big deal of healthy eating at meal times and thus the toddler ending up with eating disorders!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Put down the fork.
    /thread

No one said anything about telling the child what not to eat, its not the responsibility of a toddler to make those decisions. I don't think its unreasonable to tell parents they can't put junkfood in their kids lunch box its only one meal a day anyway whats the big deal with that? Surely for any parent it is desirable to encourage the health of their kids and their kids friends in every way?

Telling the parent via the child then. Whatever, semantics. IMO parent reserves the right to give their child whatever they see fit for their lunch.

its not just overweight people, people make terrible assumptions over 'skinny' people, 'asian' people, 'jewish' people, 'catholic' people...etc people group and make assumptions about people.

I completely agree.

And I do thinks children shouldn't have to fuss about food too much. Making them think it's a big deal or they have to eat this or they can't eat that is ridiculous. Particularly when they're very young

My sentiments exactly. Obese people end up with heart disease/diabetes and lots of other unpleasant illnesses because of their weight. So the already overcrowded health service is clogged with people who wouldn't be there if they just PUT DOWN THE FORK... face!!
    El Siglo wrote: »
    Put down the fork.
    /thread

Tch, I already beat you too it :pac:

if my daughter wants an apple ill give her an apple, if she wants a milky bar ill give her a milky bar, if she wants crisps, ill give her those too! she can choose just like i did, just like people before me did...she will know dinners at 6pm every night and shes not to eat just before it, she will have cereal or toast for breakfast and a lunch at 1pm and what ever she wants in between she'll know herself what shes in the mood to eat. and i refuse to force her into healthy eating or allowing a school or creche to.

no negitive or postive food images will be given to her, im not making a big deal out of foods she eats and she won't associate food with being a big deal! i've heard of many a toddler refusing to eat because of parents making a big deal of healthy eating at meal times and thus the toddler ending up with eating disorders!

How do you feel your daughter is educated enough to make the right decisions? Do you have no desier to protect her from the potentially horrible consequences down the line?

How do you feel your daughter is educated enough to make the right decisions? Do you have no desier to protect her from the potentially horrible consequences down the line?

Well if a child is putting on too much weight, yeah, parents should do something... but if the child is healthy why shouldn't they have treats every now and again?

I think it was Fergie (the dutchess one, not the singer) who was teaching her daughters who were fairly young at the time to count calories...

Kids shouldn't have to think about that

Well if a child is putting on too much weight, yeah, parents should do something... but if the child is healthy why shouldn't they have treats every now and again?

I think it was Fergie (the dutchess one, not the singer) who was teaching her daughters who were fairly young at the time to count calories...

Completely agree. That was my point before. Giving children issues with food at a very early age is not healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 divinereef

god have you people nothing better to do than slag of people ,,, i would say the slaggers are ulgy with very small bits hiding behind the net ,,foolllssssss:p

Jesus whats with the extreme exampls guys no one said anything about making kids count calories or making them neurotic about food! You can feed your kids healthy foods 90% of the time and they don't need to have any awareness of it at all. When I grew up I ate what was in the house and didn't think any mroe about it, my mum didn't buy junk and so I didn't eat it, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Theres always going to be X amount of food wasted by X amount of households.

Some households don't waste X amount ,thats Y we have overweight people:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lol why even bother asking questions when you see only one acceptable answer? Have you looked into the role of a teacher and whether or not they are allowed tell the children or their parents what the child should eat? Doubt it.

Lol where did you get that, a gossip mag? Is that what passes for evidence in a discussion like this? *looks back over thread* oh wait that's exactly what is supposed to be evidence here.... You people be tripping!

Jesus whats with the extreme exampls guys no one said anything about making kids count calories or making them neurotic about food! You can feed your kids healthy foods 90% of the time and they don't need to have any awareness of it at all. When I grew up I ate what was in the house and didn't think any mroe about it, my mum didn't buy junk and so I didn't eat it, simple as.

Yeah, but you don't have to deny children sweets either.

I was only using an extreme example to demonstrate my point. I don't think very many people actually do that ****.
    You can feed your kids healthy foods 90% of the time and they don't need to have any awareness of it at all.
    That's also part of my point... There's no need to say to kids oh you have to eat this because it's healthy, or you can't have that, that's unhealthy

Also, I had read it in some newspaper or something... looked into it... turns out it was bollix...
    “I use the knowledge and skills that I use daily to control my weight, to teach and nurture my daughters. . . . Beatrice and Eugenie and I began talking about their need to be more aware of nutrition. After a summer of too many sodas, cookies and pizza, they were more than eager to join me in a healthy, balanced diet.”

from Fergies book...
    got that here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1119189/

You people be tripping!
    :D lol My thoughts exactly so much for the scientific method eh!

firstly i should point out shes 9 months old not quite old enough to say what she wants but i trust a little bit of everything won't hurt her until she is old enough to decide for herself, if at 10 years of age she decides she wants two mc donalds meals she can have them.

and i do have the desire to protect her from potentially horrible consequences e.g i would never leave her unattended anywhere or at night, or i wouldnt let her play with electrical sockets or blind chords , but i refuse to become one of those controlling overbearing parents when it comes to food!

That's also part of my point... There's no need to say to kids oh you have to eat this because it's healthy, or you can't have that, that's unhealthy

Yes but educating kids and getting them interested in good food so that they themselves choose to eat healthier foods is surely more desirable?

and i do have the desire to protect her from potentially horrible consequences e.g i would never leave her unattended anywhere or at night, or i wouldnt let her play with electrical sockets or blind chords , but i refuse to become one of those controlling overbearing parents when it comes to food!

I meant the consequences from a childhood of bad eating like not reaching peak bone mass, increased risk of type 2 diabetes, atherosclerotic plaque build up, fatty liver, metabolic alterations etc.

• Advertisement

Yes but educating kids and getting them interested in good food so that they themselves choose to eat healthier foods is surely more desirable?

See I'm kinda on the fence about this.

Sure, people need to know what's healthy and what's not... But I think forcing it on young kids is a little silly. Making such a big deal out of stuff unless there's a big need for it often worsens the problem.

I think by the time kids get to secondary school, they should start being taught about healthy foods and lifestyles, and of course kids should be fed decent healthy meals at home from the start, hence encouraging them to eat healthily without calling too much attention to it.

Advertisement