Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is being fat/obese socially acceptable?

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    Honestly I've never really had this problem either. Any of the clothes shops I go into the vast majority of them are friendly and polite. Besides, I find if you have a smile and a pleasant word to say to retail assistants they generally respond in kind.

Me neither. I can't remember a single incident where a sales assistant was snotty. And the clothes shops I go to (pretty varied, from high street to department store to small boutique) have women of all shapes and sizes working in them - by no means mostly thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

since when is it socially acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Dudess wrote: »
    Do a lot of skinny, pretty sales assistants really look down their noses at customers? Or is that moreso in the customer's head? Not denying there might be the very odd one who does, but I haven't experienced it myself, and I'm pale with jet-black really long hair which is just straight and doesn't have a stylish cut, and I don't wear what's in fashion.

Most of them are fine tbh, just the odd time they're the way I described.
    Certain shops can be bad for it, and I've seen it happen to girls I've been in them with a few times, and I get the odd dirty look myself. Some people are just nasty I suppose.

Or else they don't like that I, a man, am in the shop with a girl, who knows?

I'm going to try to avoid making a pile of sweeping generalisations here, it happens more in clothes shops than any other shops though as far as I can see. But that could be again, male experience. On my own the few times I've been buying presents in a girls shop it's been totally different though, all smiles and helpfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I doubt they'd be fully functioning at 5/6 stone, and definitely not functioning enough to work - i.e. they'd be collapsing every 5 minutes.

Ya even if you were short at five stone you'd be near your deathbed and certainly not working on your feet all day in a clothes shop. Staff in shops and cafes etc are dicks sometimes because its hard work and they get sick of having to be cheery and nice to people all the time. They often get treated like crap by customers and sometimes like other people are just a bit down in the dumps or grumpy and that can translate as being snobby, unhelpfull, annoyed or conceited. Also some people literally just have that snooby air or look about them when they're really down to earth and not judgemental at all. I think saying they've got a problem with getting bigger sizes is being a tad paranoid, they're probab;ly more annoyed that they have to trudge up a flight of stairs (again for the millionth time that day) to the stock room or dig around the place looking for another size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Malari wrote: »
    Me neither. I can't remember a single incident where a sales assistant was snotty. And the clothes shops I go to (pretty varied, from high street to department store to small boutique) have women of all shapes and sizes working in them - by no means mostly thin.

Too true. I was in a certain shoe shop in the Blanchardstown shopping centre last week and couldn't get over the incompetent lazy ass attitute from the two sales assistants (and they weren't doing a lot of assisting either) who were working there. One in particular couldn't have been ruder, more sullen, basically in need of a good talking to. Actually they were so bad I asked for the manager to complain. Oh and she was carrying a lot of extra weight so her attitude was there regardless of her weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Well i started bootcamp yesterday, its fun but very, very hard. only 23 sessions left. I cant run never been able to run even as a boney kid always the last one to cross the finish line, and now im still the same.

Every part of me is hurting but im still going back tomorrow for more.........

Well i started bootcamp yesterday, its fun but very, very hard. only 23 sessions left. I cant run never been able to run even as a boney kid always the last one to cross the finish line, and now im still the same.

Every part of me is hurting but im still going back tomorrow for more.........

Fantastic. Delighted you're going back for more. Think about it, no pain no gain. If it doesn't hurt (within reason) it isn't working! Soon you'll be loving it and looking forward to the sessions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Im off to birr for the bank holiday weekend but im doing my Saturday morning bootcamp session before i go. Ive even done a few of the tummy crunches, press ups, lunges and back extensions this morning through the pain.

I did get to a point where i thought i was going to puke yesterday (during the running bit) and also my blood sugars dropped twice and i had to have lucozade (im not diabetic but my daughter is) after that i was fine and at the end off the session i felt like i could do it again.

I ate at 4 thinking my food should be settled by the time i start boot camp at 7 but it wasnt. so i will eat at 2 from now on and drink a bottle of lucozade before i start to stop my blood sugars from dropping.

Incase you want to know how im doing im 76kgs now size 14-16 (more 14 then 16). i will update my progress now and then but i shouldnt think there will be much for at least 3 weeks.

Im off to birr for the bank holiday weekend but im doing my Saturday morning bootcamp session before i go. Ive even done a few of the tummy crunches, press ups, lunges and back extensions this morning through the pain.

I did get to a point where i thought i was going to puke yesterday (during the running bit) and also my blood sugars dropped twice and i had to have lucozade (im not diabetic but my daughter is) after that i was fine and at the end off the session i felt like i could do it again.

I ate at 4 thinking my food should be settled by the time i start boot camp at 7 but it wasnt. so i will eat at 2 from now on and drink a bottle of lucozade before i start to stop my blood sugars from dropping.

Incase you want to know how im doing im 76kgs now size 14-16 (more 14 then 16). i will update my progress now and then but i shouldnt think there will be much for at least 3 weeks.

Getting the right food in at the right time makes all the difference to how an exercise session can go. I've seen a few people have to leave bootcamp a few times to throw up. It must be awful. Try having a Berocca Boost or Berocca Performance in place of the Lucozade maybe as there are a lot of calories in Lucozade and if you drink it shortly before exercise then you'll be burning off those calories rather than the wieght ones you're aiming for.

Throwing up is a sign of poor fitness that will fade - I get it myself returning after long periods away from the gym. Just try keep the blood sugar up, and it will fade once you start getting used to putting your body through a workout. Besides, a little puke never hurt nobody :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement