Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is being fat/obese socially acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Dionysus wrote: »
    Not true. An obese person directly affects the life of those around him/her, usually through dying earlier and leaving his/her partner to shoulder responsibility for the family. A fat parent is also much, much, much more likely to pass on his/her bad food choices to the children and thereby be critical in making nice, cute little babies into fat teenagers and obese adults.

It's like that absolute tank of a mother on Gerry Ryan's Operation Transformation show a couple of months ago saying: "she (her daughter) knows its (her obesity) all her own fault". Brazen or what.

Its a fair point, but the reach of the effects of a persons obesity is far less, especially if they aren't a parent. Their choices don't affect the people they work with, for example.

I agree though that parents have to take greater responsiblility for the food choices of their children. Its very easy to pass on bad habits. Its pretty grim to see obese parents with their fledgling obese children at McDonalds, but its a commonplace sight.

Its apparently also the biggest risk factor for a kid to take up smoking to have a parent who smokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Elessar wrote: »
    It does, very much so.

That's a pretty offensive comment. There are many medical reasons for people developing a weight problem. Overweight people are not necessarily so because they are lazy, greedy etc.
    For many women, in particular, being overweight is a cause of untold misery.
    Judgemental attitudes contribute to this.

The "diet" industry worldwide is worth billions..... which speaks volumes.

I'm fortunate that I've never had to watch my weight - but I wouldn't dream of being critical of those who have a weight problem.....or what society has led them to percieve as a weight problem.

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Noreen1 wrote: »
    That's a pretty offensive comment. There are many medical reasons for people developing a weight problem. Overweight people are not necessarily so because they are lazy, greedy etc.
    For many women, in particular, being overweight is a cause of untold misery.
    Judgemental attitudes contribute to this.

The "diet" industry worldwide is worth billions..... which speaks volumes.

I'm fortunate that I've never had to watch my weight - but I wouldn't dream of being critical of those who have a weight problem.....or what society has led them to percieve as a weight problem.

Noreen

I'm sorry, but unless you have some form of medical condition / physical handicap meaning you can't exercise, then IMO you have no excuse for being overweight. Anyone can avoid being overweight through a balanced diet and regular exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Somehow people think it's ok to slag off fat people because it's "their own fault". I know a few guys that have serious injuries from falling off motorbikes. These guys will admit they were speeding and it was completely their own fault for acting the clown, but you wouldn't take the piss out of them for being in a wheelchair, or losing a leg!
    Somehow fat people are fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Somehow people think it's ok to slag off fat people because it's "their own fault". I know a few guys that have serious injuries from falling off motorbikes. These guys will admit they were speeding and it was completely their own fault for acting the clown, but you wouldn't take the piss out of them for being in a wheelchair, or losing a leg!
    Somehow fat people are fair game.

Little bit of a difference from a possible consequence of risky behaviour (motorbike riding > serious injuries) and the natural and definite consequnces of one's actions (eating too much > being fat).

The apt comparison would be a person jumping off a 1000 ft cliff with no parachute and protective gear and ending up with spinal injuries. Id have no sympathy for him - he is clearly an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Elessar wrote: »
    Oh here we go.

Way to put words in my mouth. When did I say I would belittle a stranger on the street?

But yes, I do think I am better than obese people. Do you know why? Because I eat healthily and exercise regularly at the gym. I respect myself enough to look good, and not put my body under the multitude of stresses and problems that come with being inactive and overweight. It's not the extra flab that make obese people unappealing, it's their carelessness and lack of decency and respect to themselves.

careful with them words, loaded with calories - moment on the lips forever on the hips...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Sure check out the amount of "Fatty Diaries" on boards every week.

"Basically I allowed myself to get grossly fat and overweight so I will start a "Lose 5 stone" weight diary on boards so thanks button whores can tell me how great I am...":rolleyes:
    This comment deeply saddened and disappointed me.

I am one of these people who writes a food diary, and I admit I am/was uneducated about food, but thanks to the support & knowledge of others, I am slowly making lifelong changes and improvements.

I know for a FACT, that the majority of people who have set up food diaries, are NOT looking for praise - they're looking for help and encouragement. I can only speak for myself, but I imagine that lots of them/us feel very low about ourselves due to our weight.

I'm not blaming by excess weight on anybody but myself, and the bad eating habits that came from my home life.

I gained weight because I ate too much, did little/no exercise & made the wrong food choices.

We all mistakes. Please do not revert to insults towards people that are trying to change things for the better.

You might want to remember this: "Don't look down on anybody else, unless you're helping them up".

Your attempts at 'fat jokes' didn't do you any favours,and thankfully, didn't earn you any appreciation or thanks for the other posters. You are well out of line & I think you know it.

I have to say, I was feeling a little intimidated and reluctant about posting up my food intake/fitness regime etc considering the unforgiving eyes that seem to pry [Don't read the threads in that forum if you find them offensive] but then I realised, i'm not going to let a little sh!thead, who wouldn't have the nerve to say such things outright to our faces, damage my growing confidence & newly found healthy approach to life!

Hope you get your karma ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Bonito wrote: »
    Why shouldn't it be socially acceptable? Just because someone is obese/overweight it doesn't mean they should be out cast from society and looked down upon in any way.

Well, our society deems overweight and/or unhealthy people to be less suitable mates than fit and healthy people so yes society does in fact look down on people in this bracket.

I work with people and I don't treat overweight people any differently to people who are not overweight. In spite of this I do, however, find obese/overweight women vastly less attractive.

Also, obese means one thing but overweight is subjective really. A kilo overweight or 50 kilos overweight = there's a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sure check out the amount of "Fatty Diaries" on boards every week.

"Basically I allowed myself to get grossly fat and overweight so I will start a "Lose 5 stone" weight diary on boards so thanks button whores can tell me how great I am...":rolleyes:

Don't post on this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

What about the super-skinny? half of them are dyin and nobody seems to focus on them. :confused:
    because there's much less of them perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What about the super-skinny? half of them are dyin and nobody seems to focus on them. :confused:
    There is an absolute OBSESSION with skinniness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Dudess wrote: »
    Way I see it, being too fat is just as unhealthy as being too thin, and neither should be encouraged. However, neither needs to be looked down upon in society.

It seems though being too skinny is desired, and applauded in some cases, whereas the opposite is most definitely not true.

However overweight or obese I am deemed to be, I currently have no health problems, unlike my size 8 friend who either is always coughing/sneezing/kidney infection/tonsilitis/sick......I'm very proud of the fact I have never EVER taken a sick day! :D

Now, I realise carrying extra weight can pose health problems, especially later in life, which is why I'm making the changes now to minimise this happening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Dionysus wrote: »
    Not true. An obese person directly affects the life of those around him/her, usually through dying earlier and leaving his/her partner to shoulder responsibility for the family.

Bollocks.
    When do most overweight people die ? Probably in the mid 60's.
    All the kids would've grown up by then.

I'm utterly disgusted at some of the attitudes on this thread.
    Obesity has many factors : genetic, environmental, medical, psychological, financial, life style, career, cultural, even the local climate.
    Who wants to go out to exercise in miserable Irish weather 9 months of the year. And how many people now have an increased commute to work and less free time ?

Food can also be used unconsciously as a psychological pick-me-up to counter depression or anxiety in much the same way booze, cigarettes or drugs do.

But in general obesity is like being in financial debt.
    The worse it gets the harder it is to get out of it without curing the underlying problems.

How people get out of that trap depends on their personality.
    Some gain the internal motivation to do it.
    Others require external motivation from others on an on-going basis.

But it seems like a lot of abusive posters on this thread have decided the best thing to do is to attack the obese to make themselves feel better, thus hiding their underlying personality problems.

Given the amount of bullying, I don't understand how anyone could say it's socially acceptable. Yeah there are snide comments directed at skinny people (got it myself when I was a kid and it hurt) but nothing near the level of venom overweight people experience. Sure, it's due to consuming too much/burning too little calories, but for many cases the reasons WHY need to be addressed if there is any hope of tackling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Bollocks.
    When do most overweight people die ? Probably in the mid 60's.
    All the kids would've grown up by then.

I'm utterly disgusted at some of the attitudes on this thread.
    Obesity has many factors : genetic, environmental, medical, psychological, financial, life style, career, cultural, even the local climate.
    Who wants to go out to exercise in miserable Irish weather 9 months of the year. And how many people now have an increased commute to work and less free time ?

Food can also be used unconsciously as a psychological pick-me-up to counter depression or anxiety in much the same way booze, cigarettes or drugs do.

But in general obesity is like being in financial debt.
    The worse it gets the harder it is to get out of it without curing the underlying problems.

How people get out of that trap depends on their personality.
    Some gain the internal motivation to do it.
    Others require external motivation from others on an on-going basis.

But it seems like a lot of abusive posters on this thread have decided the best thing to do is to attack the obese to make themselves feel better, thus hiding their underlying personality problems.

That's kind of the problem with some (not all) overweight people.
    There's always an excuse - the weather, start tomorrow etc.
    It takes will power to lose weight - you must eat less of the foods that are bad for you and you must increase your exercise.
    I laugh at ricky gervais and his can you do something for obese people routine - the girl who eats 10 cheese burgers and chips a day - i wouldn't know where to start to lose weight - nine cheese burgers and chips a day??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Giselle wrote: »
    No, they aren't.

Smokers contaminate the air and health of those around them, alcoholics cause legions of social and family problems.

Overweight people just harm their own health, no one elses.

Ever had one sit beside you on a bus or a plane?

I've wondered and wondered but never figured it out. Is it to save money on fabric materials? I don't know any guy who said he liked skinnies. I've heard the opposite in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Ever had one sit beside you on a bus or a plane?

Yeah, but people stinking of fags, or drunk and puking bother me a lot more.

To conclude:

Calories consumed - calories burned = excess fat.

Even genetics won't get around that.

To conclude:

No disputing it - but for some, there are complex reasons for them not stopping this (there are some people who just couldn't be bothered cutting down on the cals/doing exercise but there are others who try so hard, however it's too difficult for them).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

No disputing it - but for some, there are complex reasons for them not stopping this (there are some people who just couldn't be bothered cutting down on the cals/doing exercise but there are others who try so hard, however it's too difficult for them).

by trying hard are we talking about the women in the gym who wont lift more than 4kgs then go home and lift up there children no bother :D

funny how these people who cant lose weight due to some genetic condition have become a lot more popular these days.

when 90% of peoples shopping come in cardboard boxes and 2 for 1 offers it ends in a situation like this

nutrition and exercise should be thought properly in schools. 2 hours a week to save a lifetime worth of misery

To conclude:

Wow... if only all the problems in the world could be reduced to formula and solved so easily.

Can you post this helpful advice to the finance forum ?

dole in - cost of living - mortgage repayments = excess debt

tc2010 wrote: »
    funny how these people who cant lose weight due to some genetic condition have become a lot more popular these days.
    :confused:

Never heard of them tbh.

Apart from on American sitcoms, I've never heard any overweight person say it's genetic/they're big-boned/they've a slow metabolism etc. I'm sure most obese people are more than aware of why they're fat, and they're unhappy enough with themselves without outsiders having to hammer it home even further.

Giselle wrote: »
    Yeah, but people stinking of fags, or drunk and puking bother me a lot more.

They bother me too. But so do fat people.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Degsy wrote: »
    Did you know that its actually illegal to sell alcohol to a person who's visibly intoxicated?
    Likewise it should be illegal to sell food to a fat person.

I presume the thanks for this was for the stupidity of the post.

Alcohol = food. Yeah right.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Wow... if only all the problems in the world could be reduced to formula and solved so easily.

Can you post this helpful advice to the finance forum ?

dole in - cost of living - mortgage repayments = excess debt

That's McMoustache's recession corollary (TM Patent Pending). I'd prefer you didn't share it without paying royalties.

by trying hard are we talking about the women in the gym who wont lift more than 4kgs then go home and lift up there children no bother :D

when 90% of peoples shopping come in cardboard boxes and 2 for 1 offers it ends in a situation like this

nutrition and exercise should be thought properly in schools. 2 hours a week to save a lifetime worth of misery

They taught spelling and punctuation for more than 2 hours a week and it didn't sink in with you.

They taught spelling and punctuation for more than 2 hours a week and it didn't sink in with you.

and there we have it folks. that stupid repetitive **** that ruins boards

im so sorry for offending you with my lack of capital letters. please accept my apology :pac:

and there we have it folks. that stupid repetitive **** that ruins boards

I'm not a grammar nazi, I used to highlight your ridiculous proposition that 2 hours of classes during childhood will "vaccinate" children from adult obesity.

They were taught sex education, the dangers of drink, drugs plus the ten commandments. Doesn't mean it affects long term adult behaviour.

• Advertisement

so your saying that nutrition and exercise classes from a young age would not be a benefit?

Advertisement