Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an increase on Ammunition limit

Options
  • 20-04-2010 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Has anybody applied for an increase on their ammunition limit on the new licences.

How did you go about it, phone-call, letter, form and was there a charge

I put in for 750 rounds on my shotgun licence for clay shooting but it came back with the standard 100 rounds on it. Not sure if that was a data entry 'oversight' or a refusal by the super but I wanted to check here before I start chasing it up with the FO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not yet, but it's been on my TDL for a few months now. It's a straightforward enough thing in theory, you just submit the fca2 form with a change of ammo limit on it. In practice, I'd have a word with the local garda first though, and let him know what you're looking for and why, and what secure storage you have for the ammunition. Most of the time, things like this go better when you do that; and in the rare (but exceedingly infuriating) cases where that doesn't go well, it generally wasn't going to go well no matter what you did so you've lost nothing and gained the obvious-to-all impression of being a reasonable applicant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I got an increase in the amount of .308 rounds I can have, however I done this through a substitution as I was changing rifles. I mistakeningly put down 200 on my original application, but when I lodged my substitution for another .308 rifle I asked for an increase to 750. As I do all target work with the rifle it was granted.

I would suggest contacting the local Super as 100 rounds sounds like the minimum for a limited certificate. Ask for a higher amount ans submit a written request also. Should be a simple case of increasing in on pulse. They may require you fill in an FCA2 and use the amendment section to change the amount. You will need to be issued a new license to show you are allowed to carry/possess that amount of ammunition.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Just out of interest, can you still apply for the European Firearms Pass (if I remember correctly it had an automatic minimum amount of 500 rounds for each firearm on it?) or has this changed with the new three year licence?

Yes, you can apply for it; it remains one of the few entitlements you have (ie. there's no applications process beyond asking for it, the super is required to grant one if a licence holder asks for one); but despite us all thinking it had a 500 round limit on it by default, it looks like that isn't the case, as IRLConor pointed out a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »
    Yes, you can apply for it; it remains one of the few entitlements you have (ie. there's no applications process beyond asking for it, the super is required to grant one if a licence holder asks for one); but despite us all thinking it had a 500 round limit on it by default, it looks like that isn't the case, as IRLConor pointed out a while back.

I increased all mine to 1000,500,500 and 250 for shotgun varmint deer and pistol. in that order.(they used to be all for 100 rnds each)
    I explained on a previous post what to put on cover letter for shotgun, same could be applied for hunting/target ammo.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Sparks wrote: »

Thanks.

Tha's interesting. I came across dealers who would automatically give you up to 500 rounds if you had your Euro-Pass with you. It was easier to carry instead of multiple licences and they always accepted it as proof. If asked how much ammo they would be allowed to sell you they said that with the Euro-Pass you can have 500 rounds per rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrhd

Hi Tackleberrywho

did you get those increased as part of the original FCA1 application or was it after your new 'credit-card' licences arrived.

mrhd wrote: »
    Hi Tackleberrywho

did you get those increased as part of the original FCA1 application or was it after your new 'credit-card' licences arrived.

as part of the NEW application last October.
    I had 4 applications with 4 cover letters. It took me 8 hours to complete them all due to editing etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Not yet, but it's been on my TDL for a few months now. It's a straightforward enough thing in theory, you just submit the fca2 form with a change of ammo limit on it. In practice, I'd have a word with the local garda first though, and let him know what you're looking for and why, and what secure storage you have for the ammunition. Most of the time, things like this go better when you do that; and in the rare (but exceedingly infuriating) cases where that doesn't go well, it generally wasn't going to go well no matter what you did so you've lost nothing and gained the obvious-to-all impression of being a reasonable applicant.

Just pulling this thread out of the past.. I want to get my 250 limit on shotgun cartridges increased. But theres nowhere on a FCA2 form, and I was given to understand that you have to submit a new FCA1 form and pay the 80 euros again.

BoatMad

From the chat I had with my FO, you don't have to submit an FCA1 or pay anything; just fill out the "reason for amendment" part of the FCA2 with "increase in ammunition limit to XXXX".

• Advertisement

Thanks Sparks, Ill have a chat with my FO.

Something to bear in mind, and could be useful.

Chapter 7 - Commissioners Guidelines.
    Farmer - One shotgun - For vermin/pest control = 100 rounds.

Deer gun/rifle = 200 to 260 rounds.

Shotgun - Clay pigeon, pigeon, Pheasant, Woodcok = 500 to 750 rounds.

Target shooting - Member of an authorised club = 750 to 1,000 rounds.

These are the amounts of ammunition the commissioner deems ample to suit the type pf shooting a person may carry out. As always the decsision of how many ultimately rests with the Super so it is not a guaruntee, but your amount of 250 is half that of the recommended amount.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ezridax wrote: »
    Something to bear in mind, and could be useful.

Chapter 7 - Commissioners Guidelines.

These are the amounts of ammunition the commissioner deems ample to suit the type pf shooting a person may carry out. As always the decsision of how many ultimately rests with the Super so it is not a guaruntee, but your amount of 250 is half that of the recommended amount.

I got 1000 on my shotty so it does vary.
    I asked for 1000
    I only asked for 500 .308 as I could not afford 1000 rounds:o
    I asked for 500 .223 and got same

I just put a letter in with each application.
    I had no quibbles over ammo limits.

I got 1000 on my shotty so it does vary.

Read this again .............
    As always the decision of how many ultimately rests with the Super so it is not a guaruntee, ......

Ths is not a bragging rights thing. The amounts i mentioned are those deemed ample. You can have 100,000 rounds if you can give good reason as to your need for them. I'm trying to give BoatMad as much info as i can so when he goes in to apply for a higher ammo amount he can state law/SI/guidelines, etc and not that Tackleberrywho or Ezridax etc have 1,000 so i want a 1,000 rounds.

Read this again .............

Ths is not a bragging rights thing. The amounts i mentioned are those deemed ample. You can have 100,000 rounds if you can give good reason as to your need for them. I'm trying to give BoatMad as much info as i can so when he goes in to apply for a higher ammo amount he can state law/SI/guidelines, etc and not that Tackleberrywho or Ezridax etc have 1,000 so i want a 1,000 rounds.

I was not Bragging, Ezri

If I was I would not have said I could not afford 1000 .308 rounds

I put down 1000 because I had not seen the guidelines prior to submitting.

Guidelines are exactly that, a guide.

I know fellas who had 25 and got 100 (my da being one of them) He supplied no cover note and just got it.

Other lads had to write essays.

I was backing up the point that it varies!!

Like all things in life, If you don't ask.......

I asked for 250 for the pistol because I was afraid to ask fo rmore in case It would cause a fuss.

OP, write a letter detailing you need x amount for Clays, Y amount for Duck, and Z amount for Phezzies etc
    Just explain logically why you need it and NORMALLY that is enough.

If I was I would not have said I could not afford 1000 .308 rounds

It doesn't matter how many you can afford to buy it the amount you have in your possession at any one time. I cannot afford to buy a 1,000 rounds at a time either, but if i buy a couple of boxes (HPS 50 per box) every few weeks and do not use more than i am buying i could end up with 1,000 rounds at some point. If my license only covers me to have 750, then i am in breach of my license and guilty of an offence.

Its a subtle point of law, but a point non the less.
    I put down 1000 because I had not seen the guidelines prior to submitting.

As did i, but not because of any guidelines or "limits". I needed to know that i have enough of a limit on my license that should i be able to afford it or have in my possesion at any one time 1,000 rounds that i am legally covered.
    Guidelines are exactly that, a guide.

i know you are not so naive as to believe that the commissioner's guidelines are not implimented as "law" in some cases/districts.
    I know fellas who had 25 and got 100 (my da being one of them) He supplied no cover note and just got it.

Because even when the old license system was up and running 100 was the minimum standard amount (in most cases). It still is today under the new system.
    I asked for 250 for the pistol because I was afraid to ask for more in case It would cause a fuss.

Why would you be "shy"? You can ask for any amount you deem necessary or even just want. Getting it is another matter altogether. What "fuss" can be caused by asking for 2,000 rounds? If they thought the amount was excessive they will not grant it, and authorise you for 1,000 - 1,200 - 1,500. The worse thing you can do is ask for a small amount so as not to cause a fuss, and end up with either the amount you ask for that is actually not sufficient or a lesser amount that is definitely not sufficient.

When i asked i always recommend that when applying for th amount, take the amount you use every month, and double it. If you get it that mean you have evrything you need or would ever want. If you don't chances are you will get an amount close to the one asked for that will still suffice, and leave you with some "leeway".

OP, write a letter detailing you need x amount for Clays, Y amount for Duck, and Z amount for Phezzies etc
    Just explain logically why you need it and NORMALLY that is enough.

Realistically you do not need to write a letter if the amount asked for falls within the guidelines of recommended amounts, HOWEVER it definitely will do no harm to explain why you want the amount you are requesting.

As the whole restricted pistol thing was up in the air at the time I did not want to seem like some Raboesque type needing 10,000 rounds when I only go through a few hundred a year. Considering I wanted to keep the interview simple and short as possible (26 mins of sheer nervousness).

I never have more than 3-400 .308 or .223 at anyone time anyway, I asked for 500 "just in case"

I actually was more conserned that the WRONG number had been on my shooty Cert for 2 years rather than the ammo limit :eek:(my bad for not checking the renewals in 2006/7)

I also am glad I have relatively large limits so I can have old brass lying around without going over my limit

So IF ever things change, I will not have to buy brass ;)

These days, My biggest problem is Gardaí retiring faster than ever and positions being changed so i can not get to speak to a FO, and Of Course E-mail is Mod-er
    nnnnnn Tech-nal-agee :D

I want to get it increased to 1000, as that is where the bulk discounts kick in.

BoatMad

Advertisement