Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to renew your PR visa?

Options
  • 20-04-2010 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi guys,

I've had PR for Australia since 2005 but on a trip back to Ireland last year someone at the customs desk commented that i would need to renew my visa in the next few months. I've live in Australia since 05 and travelled back home nearly every year.
    I thought once you had PR then that was it, no need to renew anything. Am i right or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

miss niamh wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've had PR for Australia since 2005 but on a trip back to Ireland last year someone at the customs desk commented that i would need to renew my visa in the next few months. I've live in Australia since 05 and travelled back home nearly every year.
    I thought once you had PR then that was it, no need to renew anything. Am i right or not?

You need a RRV or Resident Return Visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/155/

Sounds like a lot of hassle....A blue passport is a better option and lasts a lifetime.

I think Citizenship application is only something like $40 more expensive than a RRV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Not! mandrake is correct... I would not leave again before sorting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I thought you had to renew PR every 4 years. not a full application or fee, jsut a simple form

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

A PR visa is only valid for 5 years but the stay is indefinite, if you never left Australia you would not be classed as an overstayer. If you want to go overseas you need a RRV to get back in otherwise you would be stopped at immigration.

You cant renew a PR you can only replace it with a RRV, To get an RRV you have to meet the requirments

Five year resident return visa

To be eligible for a five year Resident Return visa you must be one of the following:

an Australian permanent resident
    a former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
    a former Australian Citizen who lost or renounced their citizenship.[/I]

Residence requirement
    You must have spent two of the last five years in Australia as a permanent resident.

Substantial ties and compelling reasons for absence
    You can provide evidence of substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties of benefit to Australia,
    and If you have been absent for more than five years, you are able to provide evidence of compelling reasons for your absence.

Member of a family unit.
    You are the immediate family member of a Resident Return Visa holder.

Overseas applicants
    If your last departure from Australia was not as an Australian permanent resident or Australian citizen, you must have been an Australian citizen, or an Australian permanent resident, less than 10 years before the application, and you must not have been absent from Australia for a total period of more than five years since last departing as an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident unless there are compelling reasons for the absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Five year resident return visa

There is also a 3 month RRV if you dont meet the req for the 5 yr RRV

• Advertisement
Advertisement