Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deer article in the independant

Options
  • 20-04-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

theres an article in the independant farming section today on the "explosion in deer numbers". just tought some people might be interested

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

marlin vs wrote: »

It's portrays hunters as people who release.(This was my first impression, which most people only skim through articles)
    I know of two accidental deer releases in offaly of deer. Very costly for the farmers involved.
    The first one was around 20 years ago and there is still a thriving population today. Closest one from this herd was seen down the road 150 metres from my front door.
    Most recent one was when a builder left a gate open on a deer farm as he thought no deer were in field.

Now the Muntjac boys, The Jury is still out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Have to laugh at all that is being said about deer causing so much damage to forestry.
    If coilte are that concerned about it, why charge hunters such astronomical money to stalk their forests?
    I'm not saying that they should open up the forests of Ireland to everyone with a gun, but surely if deer are causing such untold damage they should be only too happy to allow suitable stalkers to shoot for a reasonable fee, taking onto account that at the end of the day, us stalkers are providing a service, that if this article is anything to go by, is absolutely invaluable to them.
    Saying that, I have in the past paid to stalk coilte land, and I'll be the first to say it's the likes of me who fuels their fire, BUT, that was in a time where money was a lot easier to hand out than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dunno Fudd, some of the hunters I know in Wicklow are getting a lot of calls from farmers for that exact reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

what a rambling load of crap .
    i was taking to a very good stalking friend to day he lives in donegal and has been managing deer for coillte and various other large estates for 25 years .
    he said deer are after suffering a big drop in numbers there .

i notice the same in areas i hunt ,lug 20 years ago hundreds of deer now a few hear and there .
    granted areas around the national park have deer in numbers ,poorly planted soft woods with no wide ride lines are the main problem .
    most lads will not walk the length of themselves if the cant shoot it out the window or ride a quad to it they will not bother with it.

coillte are totally wrong in the was the lease the stalking ,cull figures are way to high .guys will tender to high ,have to bring in to many lads to pay for it ,the ground gets over hunted and the deer go to ground .

no one is happy ,the cull is not done , guys dont get the bang for there buck .
    where a area hunted once or twice a week the animals are more relaxed ,also driving a forest will cause to much disturbance .
    i know coillte ground that is hunted 4-5 times a week where is the logic in that .
    deer are not the problem hear .

• Advertisement
Advertisement