Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcolgan River, Galway

Options
  • 20-04-2010 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows what's the fishing like in this river? I've heard it's free to fish there. Is that true?

I used to fish a lot when I was younger but haven't done so for some time. I fished in mainly smaller, fast flowing rivers for wild brown trout (fly and spinner). I prefer this type of fishing to trout fishing on a lake. I recently purchased a new 7' fly rod and a 6' spinning rod and I intend to get back into fishing.

What kind of fish can I hope to find in the river in Kilcolgan (if any!)? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Do you mean at Kilcolgan, or further up the river towards Craughwell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

viper123 wrote: »
    Do you mean at Kilcolgan, or further up the river towards Craughwell?

Information on any stretch of the river is appreciated. I live closer to Kilcolgan, but Craughwell isn't too far away either.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Kilcolgan is mostly a salmon stretch (or was, I don't think it's open for salmon at the moment), there are some good sized trout there as well though, but are well fished for so are not an easy catch. It's more like a canal and very esturine. Firther up river it becomes more of a classic brown trout stream, with the occasional escapee rainbow. Follow it right up to source (Dukellin tributary)and you end up in Loughrea, with is a brown trout fishery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

Thanks for the info Viper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Everytime I pass over that river going to Galway I always think to myself "that looks like a great stretch of water for fishing"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Its closed for salmon fishing but you can fish for brown trout. No worm fishing allowed and single barbless hooks only, in case you hook a salmon. Never fished it myself but apparently it used to be a fantastic river for sea trout. Oh yeah, you have to release those too.

Advertisement