Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CGH Interview advice

• 20-04-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

ok I got an interview For the 2 year game development corse in may and I'm wondering if any of you guys could give me some advise on what they could ask me & so on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Thought all the interviews were over, they are meant to be sending out offers this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

VinLieger wrote: »
    Thought all the interviews were over, they are meant to be sending out offers this week

nope they reopened them on the 28 or 29 of last month, I applyed then.
    So I applyed juring the seconed round (so I'm going to need some luck)

http://www.bcfe.ie/index.htm in the event section it says.
    "Second Round Interviews Tuesday 11th & Wednesday 12th May 2010"

So now I just need info on the questions I maybe asked so I can give the best answers.

Will its been 2 day, has no one got any advice for me ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Odarallo09

Well demanding a response from people wont get you a response. People are little stressed at the moment im guessing because 1. They have gotten there course and need to make the arangements or 2. they havnt gotten the course they want and just cant be bother to reply.

Choose one....

Anyway what programmes have you used do you know any programming ?

Let me know and I´ll try help you.

Odarallo09 wrote: »
    Well demanding a response from people wont get you a response. People are little stressed at the moment im guessing because 1. They have gotten there course and need to make the arangements or 2. they havnt gotten the course they want and just cant be bother to reply.

Choose one....

Anyway what programmes have you used do you know any programming ?

Let me know and I´ll try help you.
    First I want Thank you for replying :)

second I've never programed anything in my life, And I'm not sure what to start with/were to start.I'm a hands on kind person that learns best by see the results, so I'm best with learn from other people.

The reason I wan't to do this course Is because I wish to learn how to make quality fun games. I've learned about homebrew games from a friend
    who let me play a DS game called everlasting love, which I thought was more fun then half the games on the console.

http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2007/03/26/everlasting-love-is-worth-the-effort/

I have other reasons to, but just being a fan of gaming isn't that high on a list for an interviewer I'm guessing.

So were Should I Start & what can I do to show myself in the best light, I really wish to get in.

Edit; Just remembered something I read a while back.
    Should I start by makeing hello World ?
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/win32.html

• Advertisement

Hey there,

I would first start looking at UDK and Unity they are both programmes that the school use. I would suggest learning how to make a level to show off your creativity or create something that would be of interest to the course you are doing.

When you go for the interview you are given a sheet asking what skills you have in certain programmes. I cannot remember at the top of my head what they all were but they were broken into programming, modeling, and image editing.

Example Studio max (modeling) C++ (programming) and Photoshop CS4 (Image editing)

There are plenty of tutorials floating around the net. You do not have to show something of production value because you are going to do that course because you want to learn.

I would also recommend being honest with the guys at the interview. They will see straight through any BS and will make it harder for you to get a place.

In Summary....

Create something unique and something you enjoy. Either that be creating a few models or creating a scene in UDK the choice is yours.

I wish you all the best in the interview but if you really want it. You gotta fight for it as there are very few places :)

Oda

Hey there,

I would first start looking at UDK and Unity they are both programmes that the school use. I would suggest learning how to make a level to show off your creativity or create something that would be of interest to the course you are doing.

When you go for the interview you are given a sheet asking what skills you have in certain programmes. I cannot remember at the top of my head what they all were but they were broken into programming, modeling, and image editing.

Example Studio max (modeling) C++ (programming) and Photoshop CS4 (Image editing)

There are plenty of tutorials floating around the net. You do not have to show something of production value because you are going to do that course because you want to learn.

I would also recommend being honest with the guys at the interview. They will see straight through any BS and will make it harder for you to get a place.

In Summary....

Create something unique and something you enjoy. Either that be creating a few models or creating a scene in UDK the choice is yours.

I wish you all the best in the interview but if you really want it. You gotta fight for it as there are very few places :)

Oda

Thank you Downloading them now.
    p.s: My try at hello world went will till CMD wouldn't take the Javac comand :?

Just a heads up, when using the likes of UDK and Unity, try learn how to texture your own models etc, dont use the assets from the engines...

I wouldnt have a clue about coding, its a little out of my league at the moment but I´ll hope to learn when I start the course.

Just a heads up, when using the likes of UDK and Unity, try learn how to texture your own models etc, dont use the assets from the engines...

I wouldnt have a clue about coding, its a little out of my league at the moment but I´ll hope to learn when I start the course.

I almost did hello world useing java, just got 1 line wrong.
    Guess ill leave that till i'm In to learn that.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭feckhead

Best advise would to just be prepaired. Have as much portfolio stuff available as is humanly possible.

You'll be given a list of software before you go in. You'll be asked how familiar you are with the software, and there will be space for you to add in other stuff they might have missed.

Ive covered the software you'll use through out the year in a different thread. I'd get familiar with them ASAP. It might give you an edge when it comes to the interview, and you actually have stuff from these programs to present to Shane.

• Advertisement

feckhead wrote: »
    Best advise would to just be prepaired. Have as much portfolio stuff available as is humanly possible.

You'll be given a list of software before you go in. You'll be asked how familiar you are with the software, and there will be space for you to add in other stuff they might have missed.

Ive covered the software you'll use through out the year in a different thread. I'd get familiar with them ASAP. It might give you an edge when it comes to the interview, and you actually have stuff from these programs to present to Shane.

I know I was missing a few thing :/ ill try the other software listed,
    Gimp should be the easyest, Thank you for the extra info.

Advertisement