Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving Logic's Ultrabeat Drum kits and individual drums

Options
  • 20-04-2010 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I apologise in advance for the complete lack of knowledge. My head was wrecked with this last night. I googled it loads of times and looked at numerous vids but none of them gave me what I was looking for. If anyone can help I'd be much appreciated.

Ok so I loaded a factory drum set into Ultrabeat. I think it was the Electro House Kit. There was a congo drum on it that I liked. I added some noise and a second oscillator to get a lovely puncy sound.

Now what I wanted to do was save just that adjusted congo drum sound. First of all is it possible to save just one type of (adjusted) drum sound from an Ultrabeat kit for loading into a different kit at a later stage? Or do you have make a full personalised kit? Following on, how do you load a sample drum sound into one of the spaces in an Ultrabeat kit, or can you?

I've googled it and ended up in youtube and there was a tutorial saying that you have to save the full adjusted drum kit in the same place the Ultrabeat sample kits are saved - MacHD/Library/Application Support/Logic/Ultrabeat samples. I tried to do this but I got a message saying I did not have write authority or something along those lines.

I then went back into my adjusted kit in Ultrabeat and on the dropdown menu hit save as and saved it in MacHD/Users/AlDunne/Library/ApplicationSupport/Logic/New Folder.

This was fine and when I opened Ultrabeat in a new channel I was able to load the kit I had saved. However it was only the adjusted congo sound that loaded. None of the other drum types loaded. Now this is fine if I only adjusted one drum sound in a kit but what if I had adjusted a couple of the sounds?

I was then looking at the browser on the right in Logic (first time I really used it). When I browsed to the factory loaded Ultrabeat sample drum kits, I could see all the different samples making up each individual kit (and was able to preview by highlighting and pressing space bar). However, when I browsed to the folder where I'd saved the kit above, there was nothing in it. Aggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

Sorry about all the questions and the lack of knowledge but I just cannot get my head around the way everything works in Ultrabeat and how to save/load individual drum sounds and or/personalised kits.

I'm gonna sit down later and have another crack at it so if anyone can point me in the direction of a good tutorial that explains this I'd be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

first off your best bet is to export your conga sound as an audio file.

once youve done that you can place it wherever you want(ultrabeat,esx sampler,individual channel etc)

i dont really use ultrabeat so ill let the others field this one.

i will say this though.if your making a custom bank for ultrabeat wouldnt it be easier just to give each drum element its own channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

seannash wrote: »
    first off your best bet is to export your conga sound as an audio file.

once youve done that you can place it wherever you want(ultrabeat,esx sampler,individual channel etc)

i dont really use ultrabeat so ill let the others field this one.

i will say this though.if your making a custom bank for ultrabeat wouldnt it be easier just to give each drum element its own channel?

Thanks Sean. I did think about exporting as an audio file but could not find it in Ultrabeat. I'll have another look later.

Yep I was thinking that a different channel for each drum element was probably better. Means you can add different effects to each element.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Thanks Sean. I did think about exporting as an audio file but could not find it in Ultrabeat. I'll have another look later.

Yep I was thinking that a different channel for each drum element was probably better. Means you can add different effects to each element.

yeah i think this is the norm for most producers o do it like that.

to export the conga ht you could solo the ultrabeat channel and bounce out the track.all the other channels will be soloed so all youll be left with is the conga hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

I sometimes - Usually have a few UB's going at the same time - Some for Hats / Perc / Clap.. etc..

For some reason the Kick always seems to be a bit fkd up sounding to me when I put it in a UB & run it as a midi - so I tend (normally) to get it sounding ok with the bassline 1st with the envelopes in UB - Then bounce that & stick the Kick WAV into the arrange (Clone - not Copy - otherwise you'll have 100's of seperate Kick files in your Audio Bin & Song folder).

You can drag & drop patterns from UB straight onto the arrange - so its cool to have one for different elements & have the patterns going on the arrange as your track builds.. and you're right, you can pan / process them individually with EQ & Compression / whatever. Just make sure to hit the Stop / Off button on UB if you are triggering it via midi on the arrange.

Try hitting the humanise function in the midi transform on the whole UB midi hats file.. to change it a little.

Never tried this - but you can also put it in a mode where you can play patterns via your keyboard, while you hold down a key - If you want to do some jammin! :pac:

The very top sample slot on UB can be played with your keyboard, from a certain octave up - cant remember - so you can load in a sample of some sort & play it as an instrument. If you were to write in some different patterns / phrases / variations, you could then jam them with your keyboard. I intend to do this sometime.

I've got GURU now - but I'm still using UB a bit. I like it for somethings I suppose. Its probably not as CPU intensive either.

I've never used UB as multi output, cos its pretty light on the CPU.

Just re - reading your post..

Are you asking how to load a single sample into UB as well?

I've got a Blank Kit saved in the dropdown.

I took a few mins to click on all the slots & go init - sample (or something like that..)

Once you do that - go "save as"

When you want to load in a sample - go to the little sample window - the bottom left of the UB screen. Theres a little box in it with an option to load. You can flick through your samples there.

If you have a pattern playing - before you hit load - you can audition the sample in UB to see what it sounds like.

I can get at those samples in the Logic folder once I put in my password as far as I know.. You probably need to be on the admin profile to mess with stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Mikeydb

Theres a kit within ultrabeat called 'drag and drop samples'

It is just a blank UB that you can drag your audio files onto the sample window on the bottom left corner

Once you have dragged and dropped all your samples onto the UB hit save kit and there you go, personalized kit, problem solved.

To the OP i agree with u man there should be a reason type browser that you can have every factory sound in there. Having to load up lots of kits while looking for one particular sound is very time and labour intensive

I'll post this thread on the logic support forums there may be a workaround

Just re-read the OP. You asked if you can save the adjusted sound for use at another time. This is easily done by bouncing or rendering the file. Cmd Click the midi region for the sound on the arrange page and select Bounce In Place

Heres a Template that I made for Ultrabeat.

Everythings Blank.

Everything has been made velocity sensitive.

Everything is on Envelope 4.

1.pst

Open Logic & "Load" it.

Save as "1" & then its there in your menu when you want to use it.

If you want to be a superstar go into the Logic Folder & delete the #default.pst, then rename my template #default.pst (or whatever it was..)

BTW: Did you figure how to do whatever you wanted to do Man? Are you still stuck?

:)

Mikeydb wrote: »
    Theres a kit within ultrabeat called 'drag and drop samples'

It is just a blank UB that you can drag your audio files onto the sample window on the bottom left corner

Just re-read the OP. You asked if you can save the adjusted sound for use at another time. This is easily done by bouncing or rendering the file. Cmd Click the midi region for the sound on the arrange page and select Bounce In Place

Drag & Drop is one way.. Another is just clicking the menu on the sample window, where you can "Load" and then navigate around you Mac 'til you find whatever you want.

Theres then an option to preview the sound (only if Ultrabeat is currently on & playing a pattern).

Deffo to the bouncing of the Midi file if you want to export a sound made in UB. Its the only way.

Make a "Your Name Samples" folder & start filling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

ICN wrote: »
    Heres a Template that I made for Ultrabeat.

Everythings Blank.

Everything has been made velocity sensitive.

Everything is on Envelope 4.

1.pst

Open Logic & "Load" it.

Save as "1" & then its there in your menu when you want to use it.

If you want to be a superstar go into the Logic Folder & delete the #default.pst, then rename my template #default.pst (or whatever it was..)

BTW: Did you figure how to do whatever you wanted to do Man? Are you still stuck?

:)

Cheers ICN. To be honest I've done very little since I posted this up. Up to my eyes with the childer and work. I bought a few of them MacPro video DVD's which I started last week. Hopefully they'll give me a better understanding of Logic.

Out of interest, what do you mean when you say everything has been made velocity sensitive (is the default not velocity sensitive?)

And what you mean by everything is on envelope 4?

Cool Man..

Velocity sensitive.

UB is not exactly velocity sensitive by default.

Know the way it has 2 "dials" on each Knob.. well it just needs a bit of adjusting to get low velocity steps quiet & higher velocity steps LOUD. :)

Load something up in it & you'll hear the difference compared to whatever you've been using up to now.

Env 4.

You know the way UB has 4 Envelopes on the bottom right hand side? Its always on Envelope 1 by default.

Any sound that comes out of it going to the Master goes through Env 4. So its handier to have it on Env 4 by default if you are just going to be loading in some Hits.

Besides, you'd have to click down to Env 4 to change the ADSR anyway. Saves you 2sec's! :cool: :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement