Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jacinta O'Brien 10k (formerly the Plassey 10k), Sunday April 25

• 20-04-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

This race is on Sunday around UL, think it starts at 2pm. Website here http://jacintaobrien10k.webs.com/

It seems as though registration closes two hours before the race starts...dunno how strict they will be on that...it's €20 to enter and that includes chip timing.

Usually a popular enough race, might be overshadowed by the Great Limerick Run the weekend after in terms of numbers as most of the marathoners will be tapering.

Hope to give it a crack but if not, I'll try to be around the course with the camera.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

have entered this one myself. Hopefully there will be a good enough crowd for it and the weather is favourable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

entered this myself, anyone know what the course is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

The course is harmless enough, starts behind the UL Arena and heads out the east gate and down the main road as far as the vistakon roundabout before turning around and coming all the way back up past the east gate and the main gate. It then turns down towards the riverbank for a bit, across to the clare side of the campus, over the living bridge, up past the students union and onto the track. It's pretty flat and should be reasonably fast to be fair. There's a bit of a drag uphill towards the finish but nothing too dramatic.

what were your opinions of this, how would it compare to other races, felt like a lot downhill so easy enough course bar the gravel at the presidents house and twists & turns near the finish.

I must say I really enjoyed this run. Nice sized crowd, weather held for us. Gravel was a little different alright but it wasn't for very far. Managed to beat my previous 10km PB by 1:50 to come in at 47:11 so I was very happy. So much for taking it handy before next weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭coco0981

Did this yesterday, first time ever running after not playing any sports for 10 yrs or so. Came in at 52.42. Was hoping to just break the hour so was delighted with that:D

we were so lucky with the weather, t'was also a 10k PB for me, first time under 40 min, trick will be repeating this on a more difficult course.
    good few of the walkers took wrong turn just before the life bridge, i went back for a few.
    marieC you doing the half or full?

Hi jfk, doing the full (hopefully)! Getting a tad nervous now...What are you doing?

afraid i'm not that brave, was entered for the half and after yesterday, seriously considering doing the 10k.
    you weren't on your own, meet a few yesterday doing the full next week.
    best of luck with the full, you'll be grand!

jfh wrote: »
    afraid i'm not that brave, was entered for the half and after yesterday, seriously considering doing the 10k.
    you weren't on your own, meet a few yesterday doing the full next week.
    best of luck with the full, you'll be grand!

Sure if I'll be grand for the full you'll be grand for the half! Go on go on ;)

• Advertisement

ha nice try!! we'll see on the day..
    wouldn't mind having another crack at sub 40 , just incase yesterdays was a once off on an easy course.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Daughter is a second year sports science student so got me to run. It was a good run and well ran - Bar the gravelly bit! Came in about 48.30 so not too bad -Enjoyed it though very level and the small shower around 7k was great for cooling down!

good stuff macswifty, there's a 5 k or 10k run there thursday evening in case you've caught the running bug!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

jfh wrote: »
    good stuff macswifty, there's a 5 k or 10k run there thursday evening in case you've caught the running bug!

Thanks but I came up from Waterford so I 'll have to look a little closer to home.

Best of luck next weekend!

Advertisement