Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deciding which car to buy next...

• 20-04-2010 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

I'm currently driving '00 1.4 Focus (bought it in 03) and its about to hit the 100,000 mile mark so will be upgrading probably before the end of the year.
    We have a toddler so the most important thing for herself is a bigger boot (and if she had her way we'd be getting a people carrier.... noooooooo!!).
    As for myself I'd like a lambourgini :D so we need to meet somewhere in the middle!
    The budget is about 20k plus whatever I can get for the focus. My plan was to try get a roughly year old Octavia vRS TDI cos its got the big boot, great spec and nice power at 170bhp. Then after reading threads about them being thief magnets started to have second thoughts, so decided to look at other options and do some research on cost of different cars, i.e. purchase price, fuel, tax and seeing what else I could get for my 20k.
    here's the results:

Carcompare.jpg

First of all I'll sourced the info from different sites so may not all be correct and the bhp value is rough in some cases (cos listed as PS which I know is slightly different) but its all close enough.

Lots of numbers yes, interesting to find out that the tax and fuel costs of my 1.4 focus is more than most of the cars in the list!!

My first thought was to get the normal octavia, I know its no beauty but it does seem like good value for money. If I really want the power I could get the 1.8TSI not much more expensive than running the focus but with 0-100 at 7.8 sound like its got lots of poke! I'm sure would be hard to resell but thats not worry for me cos will probably have it good while! The 1.4 TSI has nice middle of the road performance specs also and still cheaper to run than a focus!

So first question is regarding petrol vs diesel, I've seen lots of threads about diesel engine DMF and some such problems so is sticking to petrol going to mean better reliability or I'm guessing its too much of a generlisation.

So the rest of the cars listed are diesels and the cost of running goes right down with Skoda 1.6 CR TDI engine being roughly €800 cheaper to run than my focus (not to be sneezed at!). I'll think that engine for me would be down the bottom of the list being only 105bhp, would really like car with bit more power.
    (by the way why would anyone buy a 1.9 TDI when the 1.6 CR TDI has exact same power? or am I missing something?)

The toyota might be an option new with scrappage and cheapest in list to run, I'm guessing this would be good reliable option?

The rest I could only afford second hand.

The mazda guys are doing very well on my list 2.2D and still not great performance compared to others, these guys using older engine or something?

So from ye're experience are there certain cars here I should avoid here or certain engines best avoided. Also anything else with my budget I'm missing?

Don't really want to get car older than 2009.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

.. fixed post, attachment went AWOL, so anyone any words of wisdom on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, I'd suggest breaking it down into fixed and running costs per km. Oh, and you haven't factored depreciation into your costs. That's what's making your Focus look so expensive. Any are you buying the car with cash or finance?

What's wrong with having 100,000 miles on the clock anyway? Afraid your neighbours will see the odometer and publicly shame you? :D

Paying cash. And I've nothing against it having 100,000 on the clock I suppose, what do you think I'd get for the focus in a trade in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Paying cash. And I've nothing against it having 100,000 on the clock I suppose, what do you think I'd get for the focus in a trade in?

Don't trade the Focus in, you'll get nothing. Sell it privately and you'll make maybe €1500-€1700.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭1948Wolseley

As for myself I'd like a lambourgini :D

It's not a Lamborghini, but, http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ferrari/Mondial/Qv/201007196961881/advert?channel=CARS :D

Admittedly the boot is a bit small, and between tax, insurance fuel and servicing, running costs would be about €7k a year; but on the bright side, there's no depreciation to worry about, and the back seats are just the right size for a little 'un!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Ever thought of the Volvo S40. Basic 1.6D S Drive is not so powerful but 72mpg. 24k on scrappage so you should get 09 for 20k + trade in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Go On, Treat yourself
    Go for the Octavia Vrs Tdi.
    I know I am ;)

McSpud wrote: »
    Ever thought of the Volvo S40. Basic 1.6D S Drive is not so powerful but 72mpg. 24k on scrappage so you should get 09 for 20k + trade in.

Yeah I like the look of the volvo but boot isn't very big, I might take one for a test drive anyway!

vectra wrote: »
    Go On, Treat yourself
    Go for the Octavia Vrs Tdi.
    I know I am ;)

I know I'd love to cos it ticked so many boxes but the thread about it being a thief target is putting me off, what you think of the 1.8 TSI, would look like a bog standard skoda but I'd give you a run for your money at the lights :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I know I'd love to cos it ticked so many boxes but the thread about it being a thief target is putting me off, what you think of the 1.8 TSI, would look like a bog standard skoda but I'd give you a run for your money at the lights :D

Just de badge the vrs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

bryaner wrote: »
    Just de badge the vrs

It's still obvious what it is though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

You would
    and you would also beat me to the pumps come fill up time :D

I would never let that put me of a car. I have actually never even thought about a cars potential to be stolen when I'm buying. In any case thats why you have insurance.

EPM wrote: »
    It's still obvious what it is though

I think they look pretty standard tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The alloys, grill, interior, spoiler, bumpers, brake callipers, exhaust, colours - even someone remotely clued in could spot one a mile off. And the people that would have a sinister interest in one would certainly know one if they saw one

I would never let that put me of a car. I have actually never even thought about a cars potential to be stolen when I'm buying. In any case thats why you have insurance.

I never really thought about it before I read that other thread.. but I don't really want to test the theory on my family!

EPM wrote: »
    The alloys, grill, interior, spoiler, bumpers, brake callipers, exhaust, colours - even someone remotely clued in could spot one a mile off. And the people that would have a sinister interest in one would certainly know one if they saw one

Still wouldn't put it in the hot robbing bracket like a Focus ST or the likes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Lads what's with the scare tactics of the potential of your car being robbed? Op if you're afraid of people breaking in to your home to steal your car then invest a couple hundred in an alarm if you already haven't got one. You can get decent security measures for the Skoda itself. Just to be safe from the unthinkable happening hide your keys in the last place anyone would think of looking. Under your kids cot or something. Feck all this nonsense of "Don't buy it, it'll get robbed."

If you keep it in your drive then buy a nice big hefty chain lock for your gate. Buy the Vrs and treat yourself and fall in love with driving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Bonito wrote: »
    hide your keys in the last place anyone would think of looking. Under your kids cot or something

:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Seriously, what thief would think of looking there? That's if they even bother looking after setting off the alarm. :D

• Advertisement

well if the neighbours wouldn't object I'll install one of these:

Advertisement