Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nicolas Roche replica kit??

• 20-04-2010 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭

Well Lads,

Does anyone know if you can get the Ag2r Roche Irish Champions Jersey and shorts. It's great gear and would love to try pick up a set!

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Dave11 wrote: »
    Well Lads,

Does anyone know if you can get the Ag2r Roche Irish Champions Jersey and shorts. It's great gear and would love to try pick up a set!

Dave

Yes and a snip at $320 I've already had a good scout around and I can't find it anywhere else never mind at a better price.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭tulachmhor

A tad cheaper here,but apparently it only comes in one size.
    http://www.all4cycling.com/shop/ag2r-2009-ireland-pm-8795.html
    I wonder how easy it is to shrink cycling apparel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tulachmhor wrote: »

Harder than it is to grow into it.

Lumen wrote: »
    Harder than it is to grow into it.

Touche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

A tad cheaper here,but apparently it only comes in one size.
    http://www.all4cycling.com/shop/ag2r-2009-ireland-pm-8795.html

2009 jersey though !

• Advertisement

2009 jersey though !

Fair point,tis duly noted.
    But in fairness there's feck all difference between the two,with the exception of bike manufacturer.
    Considering the price difference,I'd personally go for the '09 version,that is if I was about 4-5 stone heavier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Yes and a snip at $320 I've already had a good scout around and I can't find it anywhere else never mind at a better price.

I think it's a really nice jersey actually! If wearing it didn't break so many rules I would be tempted!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

alfalad wrote: »
    I think it's a really nice jersey actually! If wearing it didn't break so many rules I would be tempted!

Wow 7 replies till someone mentioned "THE RULES".

poolboy wrote: »
    Wow 7 replies till someone mentioned "THE RULES".

I actually wouldn't wear it as I don't have the tan needed to not look stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

alfalad wrote: »
    I actually wouldn't wear it as I don't have the tan needed to not look stupid!

Yes..... The lack of tan would just make it look ridiculous...!!
    On a plus note, the Irish champions jersey would attract less attention than your yellow and red polka dot collection!!
    It could make you go faster too..... Hmmmm... $320 you say??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

$320 :eek:

Gimme a break! Spoke with the lads in the Cyclesuperstore and they say there expecting it in next week and I'm assuming and a more reasonable price!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Dave11 wrote: »
    Well Lads,

Dave

Brave.
    I was up Slieve Maan a few years ago doing, or trying to do the Wiclka 200, and passed a guy wearing a TdeF Polka Dot jersey......on Slieve Maan.

Problem was, that, about 5 miles before the hill he and his mates flew by our group.
    He was in tatters going up the hill.
    It was interesting to say the least.

Well,what exactly are the rules?
    Would it be wrong to don the said jersey because of our milky-white complexion not doing the white kit justice?
    Or rather,because,as amateur cyclists wearing the colours of our proud national champion,we could me misconstrued as being the said title holder?Or pretending to be the best in the land,when its plainly obvious that that is not actually the case.
    I realise,as has been aluded to above,that it pales into insignificance in terms of Le Tour classification jerseys,but surely there should be no disdain for those wanting to wear their national winners colours.
    On a side note,is it then permissable to wear,say the Estonian winners colours without causing obsterpoursness among an amateur cycling group?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

On a side note,is it then permissable to wear,say the Estonian winners colours without causing obsterpoursness among an amateur cycling group?

NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I believe a special dispensation will be granted in that case, as no one in the land has a f***in clue what the estonian flag actually looks like, so you could think of it as wearing it Ninja style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I realise,as has been aluded to above,that it pales into insignificance in terms of Le Tour classification jerseys,but surely there should be no disdain for those wanting to wear their national winners colours

and contrary to what you would think, actually wearing your own (irish) national champions jersey is ALOT worse than wearing the Tour GC, KOM or pts jersey, as no one outside cycling will have a clue what they are, but most irish people should know what the flag looks like and its plain wrong and disrepectfull to wear a national champions jersey in their own country :)

me@ucd wrote: »
    and contrary to what you would think, actually wearing your own (irish) national champions jersey is ALOT worse than wearing the Tour GC, KOM or pts jersey, as no one outside cycling will have a clue what they are, but most irish people should know what the flag looks like and its plain wrong and disrepectfull to wear a national champions jersey in their own country :)

Ah so,it all makes sense now.
    Do the opposite to whatever you originally think is best and in that way people are flummoxed by the apparent confusion of the person in question.
    Well,I think as I'm up ship and moving over to that London,that I'll procure myself an Irish national champions jersey and wear it with unstinting pride over there,with the obvious hope of not being incited for nationalistic fervour.
    Roche Rocks!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I really really want the Belgian national champion kit with the WC stripes on the sleeves. It's just so bad ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

niceonetom wrote: »
    I really really want the Belgian national champion kit with the WC stripes on the sleeves. It's just so bad ass.

Taking the whole Tornado Tom thing a bit too far aren't we? Will you be buying a Lamborghini and racking up penalty points too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Everytime I see Bonen in it I swoon just a little. Its the mutsnutz of championship jerseys.

I seriously like the current Irish jersey and considered damning the rules and getting it. The reason I didn't is that when wearing it, it is very possible that one could pass a cyclist out training who actually competed in the national road race. It would cheaper the jersey a bit.
    However I would have no qualms about wearing the Belgian champ jersey here.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Taking the whole Tornado Tom thing a bit too far aren't we? Will you be buying a Lamborghini and racking up penalty points too?

Yes. Yes I will.

Yes. Yes I will.

You sicken me.

Which reminds me, guess whose car I saw last week on Stephen's Green on my way to the TT? Michael O'Doherty's orange Lamborghini. I drooled over it for a second before realising who owned it, suddenly it didn't look that attractive anymore, like Angelina Jolie after she met Brad Pitt.

What about coke. Did you have a coke after recent races?

You sicken me.

Which reminds me, guess whose car I saw last week on Stephen's Green on my way to the TT? Michael O'Doherty's orange Lamborghini. I drooled over it for a second before realising who owned it, suddenly it didn't look that attractive anymore, like Angelina Jolie after she met Brad Pitt.

Who is Michael O Doherty and why were you drooling over a tractor.

ROK ON wrote: »
    What about coke. Did you have a coke after recent races?

I had milk. I'm working up to coke. Next week it'll be fanta, the week after that, sprite....

Ah so,it all makes sense now.
    Do the opposite to whatever you originally think is best and in that way people are flummoxed by the apparent confusion of the person in question.
    Well,I think as I'm up ship and moving over to that London,that I'll procure myself an Irish national champions jersey and wear it with unstinting pride over there,with the obvious hope of not being incited for nationalistic fervour.
    Roche Rocks!:)

That is a good point, if thinking of heading over to Oz so might get away with it there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

ROK ON wrote: »
    Who is Michael O Doherty and why were you drooling over a tractor.

A coffee machine is probably what he really meant to say. Lamborghini Coffee Machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

.... and oh on topic, I wonder if Trapattoni ever looked around the stadium at an Ireland match and thought that bald fat man in the 8th row could play for Ireland cos he's wearing and Ireland shirt*. I say if you like the jersey, wear it with pride and ignore the naysayers.

*although the answer is probably yes :rolleyes:

Hungrycol wrote: »
    .... and oh on topic, I wonder if Trapattoni ever looked around the stadium at an Ireland match and thought that bald fat man in the 8th row could play for Ireland cos he's wearing and Ireland shirt*

Spectating and participating have different conventions. I sometimes wear an England shirt whilst watching an international match on TV, but I don't generally go out of the house dressed like that :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

but I don't generally go out of the house dressed like that :)

Plenty of your countrymen do though;)

But wearing a national champions kit is a bit like leaving the house with an FA cup winner's medal around your neck.

I sometimes wear an England shirt whilst watching an international match on TV

I thought this expression looked familiar, I've definitely seen it on the bike before:

englandfanshorts.jpg

el tonto wrote: »
    But wearing a national champions kit is a bit like leaving the house with an FA cup winner's medal around your neck.

Yes, good point. But it's easy to get confused. A few weeks ago I was online shopping when tired and added this to my basket before suddenly realising what I'd done and hastily removing it.

36467.jpg

Why didn't you buy it? Apparently it's "iPod compatible", surely that's worth the cost alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

I wouldn't want to be seen wearing that jersey either Lumen :p

Think i agree with the idea of wearing the Irish jersey being weird (as much as I kind of like it) ... now Cancellara's jersey and swiss-booties at paris-roubaix ... I think I would kill to get them!

PS Is it just me or is Roche's champions jersey the first instance where green, white and orange has looked slightly stylish on a sportsperson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

PS Is it just me or is Roche's champions jersey the first instance where green, white and orange has looked slightly stylish on a sportsperson?

It's not just you, I think it's cool and would be happy to wear one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

If i found that jersey id love to wear it doing the ironman in france but for just spinning around and training i prefer team jerseys.

I thought this expression looked familiar, I've definitely seen it on the bike before:

englandfanshorts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

New Rules for me.
    Like it! Buy it! Wear it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

Why all the stupid "rules"...........

el tonto:

How many medal winners do you see out and about with their medals around their neck apart from in the airport when they arrive home... Yet Roche goes and wears it constantly week in week out for a full year. Thats the difference!
    Why are cyclists not allowed wear jerseys? Yet every other sport has their jerseys worn consistently... I dont think they play for ireland or united or dublin or whoever.... Cycling jerseys are in reality no different. I know some of ye like to think we're cyclists, a little bit better than every1 else.. But ye're not. Ye are just people who play a sport no different to any other person in this country who plays tiddlywinks or soccer.

I think if a jersey looks good go out and buy it and wear it. F*** that sh** of the "unspoken rules". Those jerseys look good. Why go out wearing boring plain crap that sometimes cost even more than the actual jerseys...

Every1 knows u weren't winning any competitions! You wouldn't be cycling our crappy pothole filled roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

There are plenty of nice jerseys which are not national champion's jerseys.
    Like it or not, a national champions jersey is a statement: "I am so damn good, that I am the national champion". Roche earned it :)
    That said, I doubt he could care less if anyone wears it. In fact, I think he wants people to buy it.

Tis a class looking kit.

• Advertisement

DaveR1 wrote: »
    F*** that sh** of the "unspoken rules".

Here you go.

edit: fixed link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The national champion jerseys are awarded as prizes and differ in that respect from trade team jerseys which would be the equivalent of wearing football kit. So it is the idea of wearing something you have not earned.

As to wearing normal (non-champion) trade team kit: you aren't allowed it in competition unless you are from that team. Them is the rules coming down from Cycling Ireland/UCI. On the other hand I don't think anyone seriously objects to guys wearing trade team kit training/in sportives etc. Several posters here do so, including Tonto... I think he justifies it as his current team stuff is all obscure small continental teams, as garish as possible. However most club members would tend to wear their own club team (or indeed Boards) kit in events rather than a trade team.

I will confess I own a Tour of Ireland points competition winner jersey which I got because it is green and looks nice :) I tell myself this is obscure enough to get away with. I like to wear this when away in foreign lands in particular and you sometimes bump into other Irish people or have conversations over being from Ireland etc.

Wiggle have the jersey now for £51.49, you can get a fiver off that if you sign up for/change your newsletter settings.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

DaveR1 wrote: »
    Why all the stupid "rules"...........

Not the greatest analogy I know. Cycling is the only sport really where the jersey is the prize. Call me a traditionalist, but I think you should only wear the national champion's kit if you are the national champion. But nobody's stopping you from buying it.

Here you go.

Not working
    Accessing directly the download link doesn't work. The download only starts if you click from the download page.

el tonto wrote: »
    Not working

Thanks, fixed it.

dont know if anyone found it cheaper but http://www.shopvermarcusa.com/Cycling-Champions/2010-Team-AG2R-Irish-Champion-Short-Sleeve-Jersey-p336.html this is it

I know you do earn the jersey but if your traveling abroad you get away with wearing it because i think it shows some national pride

It also doesn't scream Ireland like the soccer or rugby jersey does, which is it's attraction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

levitronix wrote: »
    Wiggle have the jersey now for £51.49, you can get a fiver off that if you sign up for/change your newsletter settings so £46.49 (and a bit less if you have a customer discount with Wiggle.)

blorg wrote: »
    Wiggle have the jersey now for £51.49, you can get a fiver off that if you sign up for/change your newsletter settings so £46.49 (and a bit less if you have a customer discount with Wiggle.)

I might buy it, i just wont wear it if i see el tonto coming and if he says anything i ll remind him of those doggy bib tights he has, godihatehills knows the ones im talking about

levitronix wrote: »
    I might buy it, i just wont wear it if i see el tonto coming and if he says anything i ll remind him of those doggy bib tights he has, godihatehills knows the ones im talking about

I'm not quite sure what "doggy" bib tights are, but I can assure you I don't own any.

• Advertisement
Advertisement