Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shower pump help

• 20-04-2010 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

I had a guy out give me a price on supply and fitting a pump to the current bath shower head instead of fitting a new shower in.

Now ive never seen or heard of such a thing

does anyone recommend these or what ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 safesecure.ie

I put a 3.5 bar pump into my house instand of having electric showers.

Couldnt recommend it enought, way more power than a normal electric shower even when 2 showers are on at the same time.

Cost involved was 300 Sterling for the pump which I sourced myself, was close to 600euro down here, and install cost 100 euro.

You prob wouldnt need a pump that size if its only 1 shower than you are running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

ive been quoted 550 supply and fitted but I have to buy a new shower head as other ones is fecked. I just cant imagine it having great pressure as I normally use a power shower in the ensuite.

do you think it would be cheaper to source it elsewhere the pump i mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I have one of those pumps too, brilliant job.

Pumps more water than any 'power showers' (ie heater & pump inside housing)

It uses all your existing pipes in bathroom, pump goes into the hot-press, connects to both the hot&cold supplies and kicks in automatically when it detects a flow of water, then enjoy x10 times the power of what you had before.

100% recommended

sounds pretty promising. what about the noise levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 safesecure.ie

Agreed with Mullingar, it has 10 times the power or any standard electirc shower!

Defiantely worth ringing around up north, ring Murdocks in Newry, think thats where I got mine if I remember correctly. I sourced most products from my house either up north or China.

The only issue about getting it up north is that their pipe size is different, I know my plumber fairly well so it was only a matter of getting an adapter to join the pipes, so make sure your plumber doesnt tell you otherwise.

With regard to noise levels, that would be the only downside, my plumber is coming back this week to raise my pump, its currently just screwed to a ply floor in the hotpress, so there is a hum when it runs, he's getting a sheet or rubber to put under it and said it will reduce it dramatically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6 trevplumb

This is definitly the road to take if its good pressure your looking for.
    It shouldnt cost any more to fit the pump in your hotpress and pump the whole house!!

also try taps.ie for cheap pumps.

Hi safesecure... the rubber mat will stop the humming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

In a standard house you should not fit anything more than a 1.5 bar pump. Any more than that will empty your standard 36"x18" cylinder far far too quick.

One of these pumps cost anything from 150 to 300 euro and a good plumber will charge you 100-150 to fit it...

The bee's knees...

Anyone is free to dispute putting a stronger than 1,5bar pump on a standard cylinder...needless to say if it was the norm the 1,5 bar would not be the biggest seller. :)

ive had another guy out just there who quoted me 500 supply and fit a triton t90 shower unit .

what do you think is the best option lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

shower pump best option. only downside is you have to have hot water in the cylinder or you will have a cold shower.
    as for noise levels most good quality pumps already have rubber feets on them and you should have no problem with noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

blahblah06 wrote: »
    ive had another guy out just there who quoted me 500 supply and fit a triton t90 shower unit .

what do you think is the best option lads

Click on the link in my signature.

It all depends on demand. If you need constant demand then a T90 is the best option.... The rule i use to use is if there is any more than 3 in the house go with a t90/mira elite. Double your demand for teenage girls and women Jesus they spend ages in the shower and are the no 1 cause of burning out electric showers...:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement