Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance claim - labour costs

Options
  • 20-04-2010 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey,

recently went into back of a 2002 Nissan Almera (my fault, as broke too late coming into lights) and badly cracked their rear bumper and apparently left the boot impossible to open. Not aware of any further damage having been caused. My insurance company "kindly" offered to send out an independent assessor before the reapirs were done and pay the person I crashed into and then I would have the option of making a claim on my insurance or repaying the insurance company for the full amount of the repair.

Got a letter to day that the bill was €1,500 broken down as follows:

- labour €834
    - materials €318
    - paint and sundries €199
    plus VAT of €178.

Just wondering if poeple think this is a reasonable amount - the labour charge seems very big. The car would have certaintly needed a new rear bumper and not sure the extent of any interior damage the shunt may have caused.

Let me knwo what ya think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

madbucks wrote: »
    Hey,

recently went into back of a 2002 Nissan Almera (my fault, as broke too late coming into lights) and badly cracked their rear bumper and apparently left the boot impossible to open. Not aware of any further damage having been caused. My insurance company "kindly" offered to send out an independent assessor before the reapirs were done and pay the person I crashed into and then I would have the option of making a claim on my insurance or repaying the insurance company for the full amount of the repair.

Got a letter to day that the bill was €1,500 broken down as follows:

- labour €834
    - materials €318
    - paint and sundries €199
    plus VAT of €178.

Just wondering if poeple think this is a reasonable amount - the labour charge seems very big. The car would have certaintly needed a new rear bumper and not sure the extent of any interior damage the shunt may have caused.

Let me knwo what ya think
    Your username is certainly apt!
    Seems quite (read extortionately) high imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

If you went to a panel beater yourself and paid cash you'd probably get it cheaper, but that sounds like a the going rate to me. A guy went into the back of me a while back and damaged the rear bumper. The boot would open but it jammed and had to be pulled up, then you really had to bang it to close it. The quote I got from my mechanic was 1150. the guy that hit me asked to have a garage he knows look at it because he was hoping to avoid claiming off his insurance. The second garage agreed with the price of the work.

The insurance companies assessor also agreed so that was how much was paid. It could be done for cheaper but the guy is entitled to get it done as well as he wants. The guy you hit has been seriously incovenienced byt it all as well so I don't think it's excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 madbucks

Thanks Tobsey - sounds like what you heard isn't too far off what i'm being charged so not feeling as bad now. I know the garage that was used to do the repairs is a car dealership so would have presumed that it would be a bit pricier than the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

2k euro to replace wing, headlamp and front bumper on my car, again, about 50% is labour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Was €1200 to replace the back bumper on our car after someone hit it from behind so depending on the exact amount of damage, main dealer etc. I don't think you're being done here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Doesn't sound bad TBH, I hit the back of a Almera saloon about 5 years ago, cost of repair was around 5k... Similar damage, boot won't close new bumper etc.

Advertisement