Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage issue

Options
  • 20-04-2010 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I get paid on the 20th of each month and I handed in my notice 2 weeks ago to finish up on the 2nd. So we get paid today and I am €400 short and asked the HR about this because they deal with payroll and was told,

Because I won't be working the full month I don't get paid, is this correct? The whole reason I handed in my notice to finish on 22nd, so I don't work any extra days and makes it easier for me and the company that I finish around pay day, should they have told me that I wouldn't be getting a full months pay as I finish 3 weeks into the month because I was under the impression the working month is from the 20th to the 20th.

Sorry if I am not clear but its really annoying and is there anything I can do, as I'm not going to be paid in my new job till the end of May.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Anywhere I have worked you tended to get paid the last Friday of the month but the period you were being paid for was from the start of the month (1st) to end of that month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

if you get paid on the 20th of each month there is probably a cut off point somewhere a week before that.

For example a place i worked in, all work up to the 18th of a particular month eg march was paid to us on the 30th of march so if i were sick after the 18th it would affect payments made on the 30th April

when I left that job i left at the beginning of the month but it was in fact two weeks into the pay month period so i ended up with the equivalent of half months salary even though I was finishing at the start of the calender month.

i think you may fall into this area too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pharrell

Thanks for this, I understand now but just like a kick in the teeth when I could have worked on till the end of the month and got a full months pay, pity they didn't inform me of this when handing in my notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

if you're unsure about what you're gettin paid for ask them for the exact dates it covers. It seems odd to me to hand in notice based on when you get paid, no matter when you get paid, you last pay check will go to the final date you work, you won't lose money like!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Very common to be paid on 20th for the whole month.

So that means you've been getting 10 days pay before you even do the work every month!

Giving notice to finish up near payday makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement