Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anzac Dawn Ceremony

Options
  • 20-04-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

To mark Anzac Day, there is a Dawn Ceremony in Grangegorman military cemetery on Sunday morning (25 April).

Given the President's visit to Gallipolli and the increase in interest in WWI evident around, it might be of interest to some folk.

It's well attended by the Aussie and Kiwi communities. But it's also got considerable attendance from people and groups from South and north of the border.

Anyway, details on the Aussie embassy website

http://www.ireland.embassy.gov.au/dubl/events.html

Irish Times slideshow from that link:

http://www.irishtimes.com/indepth/slideshows/anzac/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hi folks,

This years Anzac Dawn Ceremony is on this Monday morning at Grangegorman.

http://ireland.embassy.gov.au/dubl/anzac2011.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

quad_red wrote: »
    To mark Anzac Day, there is a Dawn Ceremony in Grangegorman military cemetery on Sunday morning (25 April).

Given the President's visit to Gallipolli and the increase in interest in WWI evident around, it might be of interest to some folk.

It's well attended by the Aussie and Kiwi communities. But it's also got considerable attendance from people and groups from South and north of the border.

Anyway, details on the Aussie embassy website

http://www.ireland.embassy.gov.au/dubl/events.html

Irish Times slideshow from that link:

http://www.irishtimes.com/indepth/slideshows/anzac/
    Will they apologise to the people of Turkey for invading their country and honour the bravery of the Turkish soldiers in defending their nation against invasion ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Will they apologise to the people of Turkey for invading their country and honour the bravery of the Turkish soldiers in defending their nation against invasion ?

You do have a point.

The sad thing to those of my generation who remember the anti -Vietnam War protests at Anzac day in the UK, Australia and the US is that it's bordering on the horrific to see in a new generation war being once again celebrated [and that really is the word] as an honourable or worse, possibly singular means to an end. How many of these war "commemorations" can we fit in? Where did "Hell no, we won't go" ever disappear to?

"and i can't help but wonder young Willy McBride
    do all those who lie here know why they died
    did you really believe them when they told you the cause
    did you really believe that this war would end wars?

well the suffering, the sorrow, the glory, the shame
    the killing and dying was all done in vain
    oh Willy McBride it all happened again
    and again, and again, and again, and again"

Oh the 1960s - the apex of civilisation! :pac:

"The flag of the 57th*Turkish Regiment is on display*at*Melbourne*museum*in Australia. These*words are written*under the flag: "This regimental flag was brought from Gallipoli but it could not be enslaved.*According to the*traditions of the Turkish army, the flag of a regiment cannot be surrendered*until the last soldier of a regiment is dead. This flag was found on a tree with the*last soldier of the regiment lying*under it. Do not pass by the flag, which is a symbol*of bravery, without saluting ".

The bravery and sacrifice of the Turkish defenders battling to resist invasion is always recognised?!?! That's why the Turkish government supports some of the biggest Anzac commemorations.

The appalling waste of WW1 is one of the main motifs of anzac day (to my mind anyway).

The

MarchDub wrote: »
    You do have a point.

The sad thing to those of my generation who remember the anti -Vietnam War protests at Anzac day in the UK, Australia and the US is that it's bordering on the horrific to see in a new generation war being once again celebrated [and that really is the word] as an honourable or worse, possibly singular means to an end. How many of these war "commemorations" can we fit in? Where did "Hell no, we won't go" ever disappear to?

Fair point. I wouldnt consider (the Dublin one anyway) to glorify war. I thought (in my opinion anyway) it emphasised the terrible loss and damage whilst St the same time honouring their bravery.

Anyway, each to their own. To see Irish defence force veterans alongside community groups from northern Ireland is an interesting experience.

Not everyones cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

The discussion re: the glorification of war etc is an interesting one. When pondering this I do think it's important to try to keep in mind the social conditions of the times. For example, information was not as easily available in 1914 as it is today, and for many young men who volunteered war was their one chance at a great adventure, never mind gainful employment. That said, the effects of war are far far reaching adn history is written by the victorious - just my 2 cents

Anyway Thanks for posting details of the commeration OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

A touch naive considering you're talking about the Ottoman Empire.
    Turkish fallen from that conflict have been commemorated at cenotaphs around Australia every ANZAC day for the past few decades.

The reason for looking at Gillipoli from a Turkish point of view is that I have seen a programme on Discovery I think where an Australian done a documentary and he he likewise looked at it from the Turkish point of view. Gillipoli is held in the same esteem for the people of Turkey like, say, Waterloo for the British. The young officer who inspired the Turkish soldiers to hold at all costs when the invasion started Mustafa Ataturk is one of Turkey's national heros with streets and football stadiums etc named after him.

So hats off to the Turkish soldiers for defending their nation.

The reason for looking at Gillipoli from a Turkish point of view is that I have seen a programme on Discovery I think where an Australian done a documentary and he he likewise looked at it from the Turkish point of view. Gillipoli is held in the same esteem for the people of Turkey like, say, Waterloo for the British. The young officer who inspired the Turkish soldiers to hold at all costs when the invasion started Mustafa Ataturk is one of Turkey's national heros with streets and football stadiums etc named after him.

Yes. And a poem by Ataturk is read out at many Anzac ceremonies.

I'm not sure what point you are making here. Turkish bravery is honoured and recognised. Turkey has no problem with the commemorations.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Hats off to the Turks for committing the genocide of 1.5 million Armenians in 1915, they were a brave lot those Turks!!!

• Advertisement

man1 wrote: »
    Hats off to the Turks for committing the genocide of 1.5 million Armenians in 1915, they were a brave lot those Turks!!!
    Good and fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

No mention of Herr Liman von Sanders then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

man1 wrote: »
    Should we also comment on the consistently anti-Aborigine policies of the Australian government at the time? Or the conduct of the British Empire in whose name they were fighting? Does this belittle the ANZAC soldiers and their fight?

Edit: To clarify, since I am new here, of course it doesn't. But then don't try and portray Gallipoli as anything but a failed imperialist campaign in a disastrous imperialist war. The only thing that can be taken from the whole sordid affair is the valour with which soldiers on both sides fought in horrific conditions. Bringing 'whataboutism' into into the discussion is deeply counter-productive

Advertisement