Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chocolate biscuit cake

Options
  • 20-04-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Looking for a receipt for Chocolate Biscuit Cake - one that's not too difficult to make.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

This made an 8 inch cake for me so that's the quantity I was working towards.

400g Digestive/Rich Tea Biscuits
    400g Dark & Milk Chocolate
    1 Tin condensed milk
    1 tbsp golden syrup
    200g Butter
    Some little marshmallows

Heat Condensed Milk, add chocolate and butter, when melted take off the heat, add golden syrup, then add crushed biscuits and marshmallows. Line a tin with baking parchment or cling film, fill with mix, cover with cling film and leave in fridge to set.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

thanks, I'll give a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MsCupcake

Ive tried this one and its lovely.
    Odlums website.
    http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=chocolate-biscuit-cake
    without the fruit and nuts,

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,317 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

MsCupcake wrote: »
    Ive tried this one and its lovely.
    Odlums website.
    http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=chocolate-biscuit-cake
    without the fruit and nuts,

I made that one too, without the fruit but I added roasted hazelnuts, and I have to say it was seriously nice. Plus if I can make it it has to be simple. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 flowertree

I also made the odlums one without the fruit.It is probably a million calories but soo easy to make!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You could use the same recipe as for rocky road bars.
    I'm stuffing me gob with some as I type.

Melt over a ow heat the following together in a saucepan, guess you could use microwave. I soften the choc for 1 min in the microwave before hand.

300g chocolate (dark or milk or a mixture whichever you prefer).
    Butter think it was 150g
    3 tablespoons golden syrup

Set aside half of the choc mixture in a bowl.

Then throw in 200g bashed up rich tea biscuits into the saucepan, I find the digestives too heavy and it's a rich and heavy mix as it is. Something satisfying about the crunch of rich tea biccys. Don't mash them up too much make sure there are crumb bits and larger pieces.

Mix well and then add 100g marshmallows into the saucepan, I use the small ones but you can get really mini ones as well.

You could add hazelnuts or whatever you like really.

Put the mixture into a shallow foiled tin and pour over and smooth out the rest of the chocolate mixture on top.

Leave to cool in the fridge for 2 hours or over night.

You could leave out the marshmallows and add in a tablespoon or two of rum if you like the taste.

The foil tin makes the cake easy to turn out you can just cut or tear the tin so the cake doesn't loose it's shape or cut into bars.

Num num num.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

jane asher has a good recipe for this in her 'eats for treats' book.

Slightly off topic but I make a lot of rocky road/biscuit cake ..coz it's so flippin addictive.

But was finding it pretty costly so there's a few cheaper ways around it buy getting some of the ingredients or all of them in Aldi.

Aldi's Dairyfine dark or milk choc. is under euro per 200g bar.
    Aldi's Rich tea biscuits comes in a larger pack and is a lot cheaper and they taste just fine.
    Their bags of marshmallows are a lot cheaper but you'd need to cut them up smaller but that's easy just cut them up with a scissors, it takes a couple of minutes but mini marshmallows aren't cheap (esp. if you use them a lot in baking).

Also if buying golden syrup it might cost a bit more but the squeezy one is so much easier to use than the messy tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

What's the best and nicest chocolate to use for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

for me it's definitely cadbury's dairy milk only- tried to be smart and bought tesco cooking chocolate once and the whole thing had to go in the bin it was so bad!

• Advertisement

The chocolate depends on personal taste really.

I use the Aldi Daiyfine one even the milk chocolate version has a good bit of cocoa in it, I found using just milk chocolate gave it less flavour and using just dark made it too bitter so a mix of the two worked well for me.

Advertisement