Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unlocking iPhone with UK O2 sim

• 20-04-2010 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭

Has anyone successfully unlocked an iPhone by buying a UK O2 sim card, topping up the £15 and requesting the unlock? Could it be done from Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

It can be done from here but you need to at least register the sim card on their network one time ie. make a phone call on the phone with the sim card being used to unlock. (just to add, this cant be done while roaming.)

The request then can be made from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Not sure about this are you saying I could buy a uk O2 sim card and apply for unlock (adhering to their unlock rules) but give them the IMEI of my AT&T iPhone and get that unlocked?

Would substantially increase the resell value of my iPhone if true :)

They will only unlock their own phones.

Thought as much, still no harm questioning it on the off chance :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Linoge wrote: »
    It can be done from here but you need to at least register the sim card on their network one time ie. make a phone call on the phone with the sim card being used to unlock. (just to add, this cant be done while roaming.)

The request then can be made from here.

There are several sellers offering new O2 UK sim cards on ebay who will activate before sending. If I got one of these, bought the £15 unlock on o2.co.uk and waited, it would work?

Or can O2 recognise irish from uk iPhones?

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote: »
    There are several sellers offering new O2 UK sim cards on ebay who will activate before sending. If I got one of these, bought the £15 unlock on o2.co.uk and waited, it would work?

I think apple has a log of all iphone IMEI numbers and which carriers they are assigned to, so when it comes to unlock on their side if they see a UK operator requesting an unlock on a US operator iPhone they can block it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They'll only unlock iPhones sold by them.

I arranged for an unlock of my o2 UK phone a few weeks ago through the web chat support thing and while they told me to top up by £15, I got a text the next day saying it was unlocked, connected it to iTunes and it unlocked and restored itself. They forgot to charge me :D

I think apple has a log of all iphone IMEI numbers and which carriers they are assigned to, so when it comes to unlock on their side if they see a UK operator requesting an unlock on a US operator iPhone they can block it.

Mine isn't american though it's O2 ireland.

Mine isn't american though it's O2 ireland.
    It's the same thing though, was just using an American iPhone as an example.

It's the same thing though, was just using an American iPhone as an example.

How can you be sure, has anyone done this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

How can you be sure, has anyone done this?

Sure you try it there an let us know

Yep, O2 Uk and Ire are completely different for this.

Its not the activation of the sim that is the problem, it is the activation of the phone with that sim. its the way that O2 verify that you own the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

So am I reading this right:

I could go up north and buy a pre pay iPhone on O2, put £15 credit in it and get it officially unlocked, and bring it back down and use it on Meteor etc??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Tearaway

Yes as far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zeffania

Hi there, I have an iphone I purchased from someone in Ireland but it was never registered. I want to use it on o2 UK, but its locked to o2 ireland :(

Anyone know how I might be able to do this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 allisonpaige

if i bought an ebay o2 uk barred sim unlocking service, can i contact o2 directly to inquiry about the status of my unlocking process? for e.g ( has been sent to uncloking, how long will take, etc etc ? )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

zeffania wrote: »
    Hi there, I have an iphone I purchased from someone in Ireland but it was never registered. I want to use it on o2 UK, but its locked to o2 ireland :(

Anyone know how I might be able to do this?

Thanks

Go onto eBay, purchase O2 Ireland iPhone unlock, cheap and works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

if i bought an ebay o2 uk barred sim unlocking service, can i contact o2 directly to inquiry about the status of my unlocking process? for e.g ( has been sent to uncloking, how long will take, etc etc ? )

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

jamesd wrote: »
    Go onto eBay, purchase O2 Ireland iPhone unlock, cheap and works.

Doubt they are looking at this thread 4 years later..

Advertisement