Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI bank account

Options
  • 20-04-2010 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Hey there, was just wondering if it is possible to open a bank account in the the north if my home address in the Republic? The reason I want to do this that I currently work for a UK agency who are fleecing me on charges to transfer my salary to an Irish bank account. I figure if I get the money paid to a UK account and withdraw it myself via ATM, even though it's a "foreign" withdrawal, it's going to be far cheaper. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes, you can. If you current bank has an NI counterpart (AIB = First Trust, BOI, Ulster, National Irish = Northern) it may be easier again. Call a branch that you can get to, speak to an advisor and they may be able to set up an appointment/start the ball rolling for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Thanks for that, anyone know if PTSB have a northern counterpart (there was a TSB up there, I think)?

No, they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JonnyMacM

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

blastman wrote: »
    Thanks for that, anyone know if PTSB have a northern counterpart (there was a TSB up there, I think)?

Would having accounts with Halifax in Ireland be of any use opening a Current account with Halifax UK?

I asked in a bank before up there and was told I would definetly need a UK PPS number and address with Bills in the U.K. Can anybody confirm?

• Advertisement

Would having accounts with Halifax in Ireland be of any use opening a Current account with Halifax UK?

Possibly, possibly not. It depends who you speak to. Previous reports here though seem to indicate it's an easier ride going with the counterparts of the banks here, especially if you're a customer.
    I asked in a bank before up there and was told I would definetly need a UK PPS number and address with Bills in the U.K. Can anybody confirm?

Incorrect. Plenty of people do it without either of those.

Advertisement