Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Business/Management

Options
  • 20-04-2010 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I apologise if this has been talked about before but I would apperciate your advice and opinions.

I am currently studying Engineering looking to graduate with a 2.2 degree. I am hoping to pursue a masters in management to hopefully branch somewhat away from engineering. I've come to a dilemma when choosing which course to apply to. I am currently looking at:

MBS in Management and Marketing in UCC (€7,000)

Master in Management in Smurfit (€11,500)

MSc in Business Management in DCU (€9,248) and

MSc in Management in Queen's University Belfast (approx. €3,900)

I was just wondering does anyone have any experience of any of these courses as I cannot decide how to choose one apart from on price.

How would you rate each one?

All help is appreciated,

McL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 000sparks000

McLovin87 wrote: »
    Hi,

I apologise if this has been talked about before but I would apperciate your advice and opinions.

I am currently studying Engineering looking to graduate with a 2.2 degree. I am hoping to pursue a masters in management to hopefully branch somewhat away from engineering. I've come to a dilemma when choosing which course to apply to. I am currently looking at:

MBS in Management and Marketing in UCC (€7,000)

Master in Management in Smurfit (€11,500)

MSc in Business Management in DCU (€9,248) and

MSc in Management in Queen's University Belfast (approx. €3,900)

I was just wondering does anyone have any experience of any of these courses as I cannot decide how to choose one apart from on price.

How would you rate each one?

All help is appreciated,

McL

Hi McL!

I am in the same boat!

I have studied Property Economics for the past 5 years, part time and want to progress in the Business/Management direction.

Are those courses part-time?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 McLovin87

They are all full time

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Hi there,

I am currently in the first year of the Master in Management at the UCD Smurfit Business School (2-year part time) while working full-time...
    Highly recommend it. Huge workload (especially when most of us working full time in bus organisations) but very interesting, relevant, and 'manageable'....!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 000sparks000

lizanne83 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am currently in the first year of the Master in Management at the UCD Smurfit Business School (2-year part time) while working full-time...
    Highly recommend it. Huge workload (especially when most of us working full time in bus organisations) but very interesting, relevant, and 'manageable'....!

Hi Lizanne

I have just read your post and then had a quick look at the UCD website. Can I ask which Master in Management are you doing? There is a general part-time one which involves some distance learning, if it is that one, how do you find doing distance learning? What is their support like? Have you heard from past students about teh weight it holds in the job market?

I appreciate your time in getting back to me.

I have studied part-time for the past 5 years, just finished a BSc (Honours) in Property Economics and I hope to diversify in 'general' terms with my Masters.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Hi Sparks,
    Yes I am doing the Master in Management (MiM) Part-Time while working fulltime job. I, like most in the class, are working directly with business enviornments in various organisations but our primary degrees before commencing work are not business related (eg: a lot of us are science / engineering / IT, etc…) but like you, want to gain a broad spectrum of knowledge in business and management. I find the distance learning fine. We’re in classes once a month for all day Friday’s and Saturday’s (1 block weekend per month) with continuous group & solo (but mostly group) assignments throughout each semester and exams (December then May) and again on Friday and Saturday. Because most of the modules are very relevant to your workplace (Human Resource Management, organizational behavior, strategic management, operations management, accountancy… etc) you can base most of your assignments on your own work experience so it is quite helpful….
    Honestly I have to say the support and study guides are very clear and structured… the Blackboard interface is a central info place for your entire course with ongoing interaction with your project groups. But in sum, here is the general gist: The sheer volume of the work, amount of assignments etc, is daunting – particularly when you’re working fulltime work 45+ hours in office…. But the material content is very interesting, manageable and relevant. Yes I did a bit of research talking to previous students before embarking on this. The time flies, coming towards end of 1st year now - half way through course :)
    It is general – a broad spectrum of modules… however, it does provide clear direction of where you want to go and if you choose your option modules carefully to specialize in for 2nd year and structure your thesis in your interested direction – you can gain more specialty in a certain area. As for job market… I don’t know as it can’t be measured yet as this is only the 2nd year of the part-time /distance learning version of the course (started fulltime as 1 year). I know it’s not based on ‘reputation’ and some people will criticize this perception – but Smurfit business school does hold a very good name & recognized international accreditation… sorry I can’t be very comprehensive now... exhausted with work then projects & study in evenings. The joys! No honestly, it’s very interesting – difficult time-management wise sometimes of course juggling fulltime jobs, evening studies and trying to fit ‘life’ in-between… but it’s manageable ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement