Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography- Geoecology Option

Options
  • 20-04-2010 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hey, what are the sample answers that yee have been advised to do up for this option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm doing mine on biomes and I've been told to split it into 5 large paragraphs. One as an introduction saying what you will talk about and explaining what a biome is (etc), one on the climate, the soils, the vegetation and then finally plant and animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hup123

yeah i've one done on the biome too. I've another one on composition of the brown earth soil.. are many more needed to be covered?

Oh yeah actually I did one on brown earth soils too. I was told the biome comes up nearly every year but I'm going to learn brown earth soils off incase it doesn't. I did a bit on deforestation but i'm not sure if that's under geoecology?

yeah it is...must do one on that so cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

Oh yeah actually I did one on brown earth soils too. I was told the biome comes up nearly every year but I'm going to learn brown earth soils off incase it doesn't. I did a bit on deforestation but i'm not sure if that's under geoecology?

Hang on did you hear that deforestation won't be accepted this year so it'll be no good to you, that's what my teacher said anyway

• Advertisement

whelpy wrote: »
    Hang on did you hear that deforestation won't be accepted this year so it'll be no good to you, that's what my teacher said anyway

Nope I didn't. Do you know why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

No idea, dept of education being difficult i suppose. She got the letter before the pres that using deforestation for the biome q or in the geoecology section would be invalid. I think it also mentioned the case study of a desert in California would be scrapped. I'd say your teacher would know the story behind it better.

Great thanks, I'll ask her tomorrow. Seems strange we have questions prepared on it but i'm not complaining. There's enough to study already!

soooo what do you need to be covered!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

Doing biomes myself... Did it in the pre and got 80/80 for my essay on it, was 5 pages long though. But used around 1 page for diagrams etc...
    Got 88% overall and if you can nail biomes down (practically a guaranteed question) you can really push towards a good grade.

I'd just cover the desert biome of South West USA very well is my advice. Nothing else to do but study at this stage I'm afraid and make out sample answers and hand them up to your teacher.

• Advertisement

yeah is that the characteristics one? i've that done. did brown earths and factors affecting soil characteristics too. hopefully i'm covered. anyone hear of any other predictions?

hup123 wrote: »
    yeah is that the characteristics one? i've that done. did brown earths and factors affecting soil characteristics too. hopefully i'm covered. anyone hear of any other predictions?
    Yeah, just the characteristics of a biome one. The human interaction one is a lot more difficult though, and again the only way to get it right is do practice answers.

FordieMUFC wrote: »
    Yeah, just the characteristics of a biome one. The human interaction one is a lot more difficult though, and again the only way to get it right is do practice answers.

yeah but the interaction came up 2009,2008. might leave it out!

yeah but the interaction came up 2009,2008. might leave it out!
    If that's a risk you're willing to take then by all means do it. I'm gonna cover the characteristics in more detail but still cover human interaction I say.

My teacher said that the questions were getting harder and it would be unlikely if a question about characteristics came up :( So I really wouldn't leave anything out, imagine if you went in on the day and something you could have studied came up. That's 80 marks gone.

My teacher said that the questions were getting harder and it would be unlikely if a question about characteristics came up :( So I really wouldn't leave anything out, imagine if you went in on the day and something you could have studied came up. That's 80 marks gone.

yeah but its a small book where or what else could they get questions from?

yeah but its a small book where or what else could they get questions from?

True, I havn't used the book since the end of 5th year so not sure what's in it but all i've done for Geoecology are characteristics of biomes, things about brown earth soils and deforestation. My teacher said none of those are guaranteed to come up and we're going back to it in a week or two. I'm not sure what we're going to do but i'll let you know when I find out if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

From the syllabus

On completing this unit, the student will be able to
    • explain and illustrate the development of soils
    • describe the combination of processes affecting soil
    characteristics
    • assess the inter-relationship between soils and
    climates resulting in biomes or global regions where
    plants and animals have adapted to specific
    environmental conditions
    • examine and evaluate the impact of human activities
    on biomes
    • use the skills listed above to examine the interrelationships,
    at a global scale, between soils,
    climates, plants and animals.

thanks. 'leg' u doing any other ones that we haven't said?

Advertisement