Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eNet MAN's Benefits

• 20-04-2010 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭

What extra services does a MAN mean for a town, will it give access to triple play services, what are the other benefits?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

What extra services does a MAN mean for a town, will it give access to triple play services, what are the other benefits?
    Unless you are willing to pay tens of thousands to connect up to it and ready to pay hundreds of euros per Mb for it, well then yes you can avail of triple play services :)
    However, the other benefits of it is it will attract more competition between broadband providers in your area as they all use it for backhauling their network.
    A mans is really only used by Isp's, goverment bodies and large corporate companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Had a quick look at enet's pricing structure.

For the GigE product offering, am I right in reading it that the setup is 7500, then the rental is 20-24k. Is usage charged on top of that?

If a large business user needed that kind of speed, it looks like a good price,

Or am i missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Had a quick look at enet's pricing structure.

For the GigE product offering, am I right in reading it that the setup is 7500, then the rental is 20-24k. Is usage charged on top of that?

You might get a GigE connection between two points on the MAN for that, but I think it's unlikely, unless you're talking 20-24k monthly and then it would be extremely expensive.

For that sort of money (20-24k) yearly, you'll get eNet's 10 mbit/s layer2 product from wherever you are to Dublin. It does not include internet connectivity.

If you want internet connectivity, you'll have to buy it from a carrier in Dublin on top of that.

Matter of fact, if it's internet you're after, than buying 10 mbit/s fiber connectivity from Magnet or Smart using the MAN is cheaper than that and includes internet connectivity. So no, it's expensive.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The mans themselves are useless because they are to expensive to use even fora large business. I know because my employer took over an office with their fibre already in place but their prices were thousands over the cost over ordinary dsl.

The only benefit has been the backhaul which is being used by the Isps. However the mans themselves are totally under utilised and a waste of money without making them available at a cost effective price for businesses.

Marlow wrote: »
    You might get a GigE connection between two points on the MAN for that, but I think it's unlikely, unless you're talking 20-24k monthly and then it would be extremely expensive.

For that sort of money (20-24k) yearly, you'll get eNet's 10 mbit/s layer2 product from wherever you are to Dublin. It does not include internet connectivity.

If you want internet connectivity, you'll have to buy it from a carrier in Dublin on top of that.

Matter of fact, if it's internet you're after, than buying 10 mbit/s fiber connectivity from Magnet or Smart using the MAN is cheaper than that and includes internet connectivity. So no, it's expensive.

/M

...and that price probably does not even include IP Breakout.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info so far.

What the company I work for is looking for is a 100mb cable, which they can "stick" and antenna on, and then broadcast to the 4 different buildings they are in. All within a kilometre of each other.

Lets forget about planning permission for the moment. Is this possible? I heard eircom lease out lines and also space on their antenna.

Any thoughts ?

What the company I work for is looking for is a 100mb cable, which they can "stick" and antenna on, and then broadcast to the 4 different buildings they are in. All within a kilometre of each other.

Lets forget about planning permission for the moment. Is this possible? I heard eircom lease out lines and also space on their antenna.

Any thoughts ?
    The wireless and planning permission end of it is no problem, but actually getting the 100Mb connection to one of the buildings is the tricky part.
    Eircom dont own any of their towers anymore, Towercom aka Threefold do, and now you are getting into money!

What part of the country is your 'company' in?

Its in Cork City. Very central.

a 100 mbit/s cable from where ? or for what ?

You'd have to be a bit more specific. For example, the 100 mbit/s connection could be from your headquarter to anther area, where you want to connect 4 buildings using that fiber. Or it could be from Dublin (for internet purposes) to a location near your 4 buildings to connect them with wireless links to the internet. Those are entirely different scenarios and would entail different issues.

Fiber pricing varies depending on where you are and where you want to connect to. If you need mastspace for antenna's on top of that, you're going to incur further costs there on a yearly basis.

Enet offer polespace at their colo, usually at decent prices, BUT the colo's are usually a 40ft container at ground-level with crap Line-of-Sight to anything, so you'd be better off to get a connection to one place of yours and distribute it out from there. Preferable the location that is geographically the highest or has the best view to the others. Saves a lot of money for antenna-space.

/M

Its in Cork City. Very central.
    You could try Airspeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Any thoughts ?

Why do they need100 mb? You'd be surprised for example by how effectively you can run business operations using terminal services and virtualisation.

You could try Airspeed.

Or Strencom. Or Smart Telecom for that sake. All of'em probably cheaper than buying of eNet.

/M

Thanks I'll check them all out.

The reason he (the boss) wants 100mb is he does not want to lose any speed when it goes wireless. Now I don't know a hell of a lot about this area, so it may be that the signal will stay at 100mb within a certain radius of the mast, then reduce as you get further away.

He sometimes reminds me of one of those characters in a Roman "epic" movie from the 50's. He's the one telling the guy with the drum to increase the beat all the time while he shouts "More speed!!".

I think I need to contact a few companies tomorrow!

The reason he (the boss) wants 100mb is he does not want to lose any speed when it goes wireless. Now I don't know a hell of a lot about this area, so it may be that the signal will stay at 100mb within a certain radius of the mast, then reduce as you get further away.

The speed on the fiber is not your issue. If it's an uncontended fiber connection you buy, you'll get the full speed, no matter what.

The speed of the wireless connections and the cost to get them established (choice of equipment, line of sight, mastspace, eventually colo-space for gear, professionals to install the gear) are your worst problem.

/M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You will use licenced 155mbit STM1 radio pairs between each building, you may be able to make a ring of them in case one link goes down. Each STM1 pair costs around €7-10k ( ONE OFF) and the spectrum costs €100s or low €1000s a year and the maintenance contract with the company that provisions the Radios maybe 12% of the initial cost per annum.

So 4 pairs = €28k-€40k installed and configured. 155mbits per circuit.
    Spectrum = c.€500 per annum
    Maintenance = €3k - €4k per annum. Specify they must have spares in stock and that the repair turnround should be 4 hours or 8 hours...ask them to quote maintenance on 4hour and 8hour turnarounds and contractually penalise them if they do not show up on time with the right parts.

I would also contact Azotel in Cork for a quote. They install infrastructure like this. Consider Digiweb too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's a big outlay, I can only see one business that the man goes around that may be willing to pay that and that's state owned.

Am I understanding this correctly, the man is pretty much useless because of the high cost, there's no way households will ever see any benifit from the man or an ordinary small business.
    All seems a bit pointless if nobody can afford to access it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The MANs will be useful and are somewhat useful to ISPs. But Ireland Offline and others at the time pointed out that it was the wrong priority. Some don't or didn't even connect to anything, Back-haul from the MAN to INEX, Dublin or some other Internet Gateway is separate issue and seems to have not been part of the planning.

If you have a Place in Raheen Limerick and Castletroy Limerick, both on MAN and you want 1Gbps BETWEEN them it's handy.

A chocolate teapot can at least be eaten. The MANs are no use directly to oridinary businesses or homes. Many don't even connect to exchanges :(

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Thanks I'll check them all out.

He sometimes reminds me of one of those characters in a Roman "epic" movie from the 50's. He's the one telling the guy with the drum to increase the beat all the time while he shouts "More speed!!".

I think I need to contact a few companies tomorrow!

Hey! I can get you pricing for fibre, wireless or Smart services - PM me and I'll give you my contact details. Am back in the office 2moro:D

Or Digiweb!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Spectrum = c.€500 per annum

It's 1200 EUR/year for the license per licensed link in the 7 GHz or 13 GHz band these days, which is what is used for 155 or 180 mbit/s links. Was just short of 1000 last year, but they've jacked it up again.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

In theory Spectrum Management and Comreg is about regulation and having an infrastructure to benefit the Country's economy. Spectrum is a limited national assest for doing that, not something like petrol or drinks that should be used to raise revenue. It should not be more than €100 a year. Or much less. If we are to have economically priced BB at 20Mbps to 100Mbps with low or no contention, the backhaul links should not be taxed like this. ISP and businesses pay tax. This is stealth double taxation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement