Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible twos starting

Options
  • 20-04-2010 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭

My near two year old has started the terrible twos tantriums.
    There is just no winning with her at the moment.
    How long will this last?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ocokev wrote: »
    How long will this last?

Until she learns that you are the authority in her life and have to be respected and obeyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

It varies. :)

Find a plan that works & stick to it, stay calm, use diversions and distractions as soon as you see a tantrum brewing - and pick your battles; life becomes much less stressful if you accept if they want to go shopping in their jammies, or have beans on toast for breakfast that it's not the end of the world. Make sure you have plenty of time to do things, they will want to do things themselves and everything takes twice as long as it used to!

Much of the terrible twos is striving for independence and learning their own limitations as well as societal & parental boundaries. It's easier to funnel their emotions into other things ie hitting pillows when angry then to expect them to understand why they are in turmoil and confront them head on with punishment. Deflect, divert, distract the small stuff - stay strong and consistent with everything else.

Best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Distraction works ok, I think she gets frustrated when she wants or is trying to tell us something but we cant understand.
    We have figured out the dry eyed crying all right but it all just seemed to happen overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

It's usually frustration with not being able to comunicate properly and knowing that if they give it enough wellie they'll get they're own way. Kids are very good at manipulation and as soon as they get attention for something they put that information away and use it at every oppoptunity. they push the boundaries at this stage so its up to you where you set the limit.:)

They can't tell the difference between good and bad attention..it's focus on them regardless... that's why the ignore the bad and praise the good usually works..it can be hard to ignore it especially if you're out and about but it pays off in the long term to not communicate with them when they're in a tantrum... ;) and i fully agree with the divert distract and diffuse theory
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I didn't have the terrible two's with my lady, (i had terrible 18 months to 24 months, she was quite well advanced for her age and that probably caused the early onset of the terrible 2's)

my youngest is out of them now at 3 and a half, but that was with the help of an early intervention team (he has issues)...

my middle guy never had the terrible twos he is very timid and placid but whines.

terrible twos are just that, terrible 2's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

How long will this last?

16-17 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

With our first it started at 18m and ended at 4y3m. That was only 2 months ago and our second is in them at the moment, 2y4m, but nowhere near as bad as the first guy, or maybe I'm just less shocked by it now... House is much calmer these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

How long will this last?

Forever. Or so it seems. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eimsRV

Ocokev,

My daughter is almost 15 months and is already throwing tantrums! Someone here recommended a book "Toddler Taming" by Dr Christopher Green and I have to say I have found it great so far, it gives you more understanding of toddlers and ways to side step the tantrums!!

Best of luck
    Eimear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My eldest daughter started the terrible two's well before she was two. Almost 17yrs old now and i dont think they ever completely left:mad::p. I don't have a son or brother even to compare to but am reliably told that boys are so much more compliant. Her younger sister not as bad as her but has thrown some spectacular wobblers in her time. Seriously though, theres nothing worse:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Thanks.

Her cousin is a few months older, and is not allowled milk during dinner cos it fills her up. She makes a big fuss out of it and torments her parents for milk every day at dinner.
    She had a sleep over in her nans last weekend and nan asked if she wanted milk with her dinner to which she answered proudly
    " I am not allowed milk with my dinner"

Advertisement