Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick petrol station owners object to tesco petrol

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

I filled up last night with the cheapest petrol (€1.31.9) and it still cost €95.40.:(:(
    Bring on cheaper petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I'm going to start pissing into my petrol tank and see if it works.

Let us now how that goes - I'd be mortified if I tried it in front of the Neighbours and then it just didn't work....

P.S. Do you need to modify your diet in any particular way?
    mark1974 wrote: »
    I filled up last night with the cheapest petrol (€1.31.9) and it still cost €95.40.:(:(
    Bring on cheaper petrol.

You need to car pool with Melion - This will work out even better if ye both want to go in the same direction etc.

ppearse wrote: »
    Dont be under any illusion about the difficult task Tesco face.
    Tesco were given permission in Kilrush last year for a petrol station.The decision was appealed by the Irish Petrol Retailers Association to An Bord Pleanala who overturned the decision on "traffic gounds ". Tesco applied again to Kilrush Town Council this year and were given the go ahead for the second time. We await the inevitable appeal again by the Irish Petrol Retailers Association in a couple of weeks.The whole purpose of this appealling to An Bord Pleanala is of course at worst it delays the development by five to six months and at best for the objectors they might be lucky ( as in the Kilrush case ) and get an overturning of the decision. Im delighted that Limerick might be in the running for a Tesco petrol station. If our one in Kilrush is scuppered for the second time I will still be able to use the Limerick one from time to time. Fingers crossed !!

Don't count on it - This is Ireland; There will always be someone's Cousin, Nephew, Business Associate or willing Partner in Crime to rig the desired result behind the scenes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Also this is a city environment where people are not as localised and loyal as those in Kilrush for example.

People won't give a crap that Joe Topaz or Mr Sheils is losing money, they will only care about getting a discount on fuel.

Yes Kilrush may be more localised but the majority of people would support Tesco. The problem is that the Irish Petrol Retailers Association is a country wide organisation and it uses a Dublin based planning consultant to fight its battles with Tesco

In fact the majority of people down in Kilrush would be very clannish and the MD of the Queally & Sons Supervalu Group, Paul Queally and his father(can't think of his name) said people were supporting them in Kilrush over Tesco because they buy from local people and sell to local people. They said the younger people in the town, like most, have no loyalty and were off to Tesco. They said the same applied to them in Killaloe and people stopped heading to Tesco in Nenagh. This is not a word for word conversation but one I had with them personally around 4 months ago.

Do you think people in Limerick city would act the same?

I don't think they would. Personally Im a price merchant and if somebody has a good offer I will buy from them, so much so I have the bargain alerts on boards.ie as a bookmark and read it everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ppearse

Berty,

Not sure why you seem to be suggesting that Limerick will be different to Kilrush in terms of the objectors to Tesco petrol station.
    The same type of people who objected to Tesco in Kilrush ie: petrol retailers wil be the same type of people who will be objecting in Limerick ie: petrol retailers. Being "clannish" as you suggest is not the issue.

All the objectors to Tesco PFS in Kilrush were involved or have links to petrol retailing.

Maybe as you suggest if the Tesco PFS in Kilrush eventually gets the go ahead certain people will continue to be "clannish" as you put it and continue to use the station they always did but whats wrong with that ? Thats their choice.

We're on the same side here , Berty , . I think the whole "clannish" thing in terms of Tesco getting permission is a red herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The rip off Topaz in Dooradoyle is still attracting customers that dont know better. Was in the offy the other night and one poor sap was filling up with Unleaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Mc Love wrote: »
    Was in the offy the other night and one poor sap was filling up with Unleaded.

What did he use as a mixer or did he drink it straight?

The rip off Topaz in Dooradoyle is still attracting customers that dont know better. Was in the offy the other night and one poor sap was filling up with Unleaded.

I nearly got carjacked there one night.

You can't get in, out or park.

Pay in advance for Petrol.

Always some trackknack hanging around looking for a go.

Staff or either suicidal or rude.

- Finally Petrol costs a fortune.

Also McLovin you'd prob. do better buying Beer in any other Business in the State than off that Crowd.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

From todays limerick leader,
    Now we all know how limerick prices are for petrol, so i say WELCOME TESCO. (coonagh)
    Hope limerick city council give them permission.

To be honest tesco petrol isnt that cheap, quite a few independent petrol stations in Dublin are cheaper than the one in Dundrum. The one in Mounthrath is always cheaper (On the limerick side).

Just looking on pumps.ie, Dundrum and Clarehall tescos are 134.9 and 135.9. My local is 131.9 (Dublin city centre). Tesco Dundrum always has a queue of about 15+ cars because people think its cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ppearse

Congratulations Limerick on the decision of Limerick City Council to grant permission for Tesco PFS.

Unfortunatly , the toughest battle lies ahead in the form of the inevitable appeal to An Bord Pleanala by the Irish Petrol Retailers Association via their planning consultant Mr.Anthony Marston in Dublin in four weeks time.

This will delay the start date by at least 4 to 5 months minimum and that assumes that An Bord Pleanala will uphold the decision of Limerick City Council which they may not as in the Kilrush case last year when An Bord Pleanala overturned the decision of Kirush Town Council to grant permission. An Bord Pleanala are notoriously unpredictable.

This is because An Bord Pleanala treats an appeal as what they call " de novo" ie : they treat the case as if the initial application was made to them in the first place and they go through the application completley from scratch. If Limerick City Council have made the slightest error in granting permission or if An Bord Pleanala disagrees with Limerick City Council on any issue then the decision will be overturned. Fingers crossed that the council have crossed their T's and dotted their I's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Congratulations Limerick on the decision of Limerick City Council to grant permission for Tesco PFS.

Unfortunatly , the toughest battle lies ahead in the form of the inevitable appeal to An Bord Pleanala by the Irish Petrol Retailers Association via their planning consultant Mr.Anthony Marston in Dublin in four weeks time.

This will delay the start date by at least 4 to 5 months minimum and that assumes that An Bord Pleanala will uphold the decision of Limerick City Council which they may not as in the Kilrush case last year when An Bord Pleanala overturned the decision of Kirush Town Council to grant permission. An Bord Pleanala are notoriously unpredictable.

This is because An Bord Pleanala treats an appeal as what they call " de novo" ie : they treat the case as if the initial application was made to them in the first place and they go through the application completley from scratch. If Limerick City Council have made the slightest error in granting permission or if An Bord Pleanala disagrees with Limerick City Council on any issue then the decision will be overturned. Fingers crossed that the council have crossed their T's and dotted their I's.

I am no expert but that sounds like a deeply, deeply crap system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Raiser wrote: »
    I nearly got carjacked there one night.

You can't get in, out or park.

Pay in advance for Petrol.

Always some trackknack hanging around looking for a go.

Staff or either suicidal or rude.

- Finally Petrol costs a fortune.

Also McLovin you'd prob. do better buying Beer in any other Business in the State than off that Crowd.......

Whats wrong with Finesht Wines?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes taking a closer look at pumps.ie today (by the way lads limerick is in serious need of a price update) the tesco stores in killarney and waterford are pretty similar in price to everyone surrounding them... Maybe all this hype is for nothing!

Still from my point of view it would be handy to get the weekly shopping and the weekly supply of petrol all in the one go! The amount of times I set out to do both and forgot would sicken even the most absent minded people

Whats wrong with Finesht Wines?

I think I initially lost all respect for them when they started selling out off date Beer to their Patrons at reduced rates a while back - And when I say "reduced" I mean something particularly stingy like 20p off Beer that should have been dumped in a skip......

- I stand by this and will happily provide Witnesses - To be fair I can't state if they still do this as I'd never, ever, ever go near them under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Raiser wrote: »
    I think I initially lost all respect for them when they started selling out off date Beer to their Patrons at reduced rates a while back - And when I say "reduced" I mean something particularly stingy like 20p off Beer that should have been dumped in a skip......

- I stand by this and will happily provide Witnesses - To be fair I can't state if they still do this as I'd never, ever, ever go near them under any circumstances.

Nothing illegal about this,common practice in ALOT of off licences

Advert on UK TV.

Spend £50 and get 5p off every litre.

If we had €50 and 5 cent back here and you did your weekly shopping and filled up your car then you would make a nice saving over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

Berty wrote: »
    If we had €50 and 5 cent back here and you did your weekly shopping and filled up your car then you would make a nice saving over time.

Actually seen this in limerick! On road to parkway from town(clare st?), the second petrol station on left has a sign, spend 50 in supervalue, 5 cent off per litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Advert on UK TV.

Spend £50 and get 5p off every litre.

Superquin were doing that last week. Spend €50 in their store and get 5c off a litre at Maxol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Kess73 wrote: »
    Superquin were doing that last week. Spend €50 in their store and get 5c off a litre at Maxol.

Try and find a Maxol that will take it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Jumpy wrote: »
    I'm sure I saw signs on the Maxol near the regional hospital that they were taking part in this. The maxol as you head from the Parkway to Frank Hogans is as well I think...

Jumpy wrote: »

The Maxol by the UL roundabout are part of it, the Maxol by Frank Hogan motors are part of it, the Maxol by the Regional hospital are part of it.

There were others listed for the Limerick area on the instore poster, but I did not pay much heed to which ones they were.

I used it last week in the Maxol near the UL roundabout and it brought the price of the unleaded I was getting to 128.9 a litre, which was a damn sight better than the 137.9 a litre the nearest Station to me is charging, which is the Topaz in Dooradoyle.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The Maxol by the UL roundabout are part of it, the Maxol by Frank Hogan motors are part of it, the Maxol by the Regional hospital are part of it.

There were others listed for the Limerick area on the instore poster, but I did not pay much heed to which ones they were.

I used it last week in the Maxol near the UL roundabout and it brought the price of the unleaded I was getting to 128.9 a litre, which was a damn sight better than the 137.9 a litre the nearest Station to me is charging, which is the Topaz in Dooradoyle.

Hopefully you didn't negate the saving by driving across the city in traffic to get the fuel.

Hopefully you didn't negate the saving by driving across the city in traffic to get the fuel.

Was in Castletroy for most of that day anyway, so held off on getting petrol and some groceries until I knew I was going to be out there.

I tend to time getting my petrol to when I am in certain areas where there are stations whose business I will support due to them being competitive in pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Guys, I haven't read through the full thread, but I don't want to burst your bubble on this. I live near Tesco in the Dundrum Centre in Dublin. According to Pumps.ie, they are actually not the cheapest in the area as of this morning (currently €134.9 per litre for unleaded), with Applegreen on Ballinteer Ave on €133.9 and Maxol in Harolds X on €131.9, (admittedly 6 or 7 mins drive away).

What did happen when they first came in was the closure of a Texaco station on Churchtown Road, an Esso Station on Nutgrove Avenue, a Shell Station on Braemor Road and a Shell on Ballinteer Avenue (thankfully since re-opened as an Applegreen). What they do short term is lower the price to 3 or 4 cent a litre cheaper than anyone locally, put the local stations out of business, and then when they have removed the competition, the prices creep up. Dundrum Centre had to re-build the ramp in to the station such was the congestion, now it's relatively easy to whisk in and out of the place.

You would need to queue for 10 or 15 mins to get petrol, idiots trying to skip the queues and to be honest the grief wasn't worth it. I also had to get my plugs and points replaced on a previous car, and was told that the damage was 'probably' caused by using cheap petrol. I am also convinced that you don't get great mpg from Tesco petrol, but I am open to correction on this. So be careful what you wish for, long term Tesco domination is not a great thing!

Guys, I haven't read through the full thread, but I don't want to burst your bubble on this. I live near Tesco in the Dundrum Centre in Dublin. According to Pumps.ie, they are actually not the cheapest in the area as of this morning (currently €134.9 per litre for unleaded), with Applegreen on Ballinteer Ave on €133.9 and Maxol in Harolds X on €131.9, (admittedly 6 or 7 mins drive away).

What did happen when they first came in was the closure of a Texaco station on Churchtown Road, an Esso Station on Nutgrove Avenue, a Shell Station on Braemor Road and a Shell on Ballinteer Avenue (thankfully since re-opened as an Applegreen). What they do short term is lower the price to 3 or 4 cent a litre cheaper than anyone locally, put the local stations out of business, and then when they have removed the competition, the prices creep up. Dundrum Centre had to re-build the ramp in to the station such was the congestion, now it's relatively easy to whisk in and out of the place.

You would need to queue for 10 or 15 mins to get petrol, idiots trying to skip the queues and to be honest the grief wasn't worth it. I also had to get my plugs and points replaced on a previous car, and was told that the damage was 'probably' caused by using cheap petrol. I am also convinced that you don't get great mpg from Tesco petrol, but I am open to correction on this. So be careful what you wish for, long term Tesco domination is not a great thing!

Tesco now buy their fuel in Ireland from the same place that Maxol, Texaco, Amber etc get their fuel and that is from Statoil (trading under the Topaz name in Ireland, after the Irish branches of Statoil and Shell merged into Topaz)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

What they do short term is lower the price to 3 or 4 cent a litre cheaper than anyone locally, put the local stations out of business, and then when they have removed the competition, the prices creep up.

That's exactly what they did in Killarney as well. A couple of petrol stations closed. Probably about ten jobs or more gone.

You can also be certain they are trying to achieve the same thing with the grocery market. They have ~ 25% of the Irish market now and Dunnes have another 20 - 25%.

HIB wrote: »
    That's exactly what they did in Killarney as well. A couple of petrol stations closed. Probably about ten jobs or more gone.

There is a Statoil down the road by McDonalds and a Petrol Station at the Supervalu(cannot think of name).

Where was the one that closed down?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

Sorry. Maybe I'm mistaken. It's a good few years since I was in Killarney. But when I was there, Tesco were not long open and a few petrol stations on the main road (road leading from roundabout near the Supervalu into town) were closed. Two I think. As far as I remember, one was across the road from Tesco, near a little roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

All i want for limerick is a bit of competition, and a choice.

Don't know how many petrol stations there are in limerick but same few keep popping up for less expensive petrol.
    Dublin road, corbally, roxboro.

I'm sure petrol stations in limerick who have not been ripping off there customers have nothing to fear.

Advertisement