Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North-South Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme: application essay

Options
  • 20-04-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

Alright folks,
    I'm applying for a non-business scholarship under the North-South Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme. The application is standard enough, except I've to write an essay entitled:
    Please now complete a 1,400-1,500 word essay explaining why you wish to study in the other Irish jurisdiction, and how you believe your studies will enhance understanding of innovation and business development on the island of Ireland in your chosen subject (business-sponsored scholarships); or understanding of all-island perspectives in your chosen subject (non-business scholarship).

I'm not too sure of where to go with this, the research project is on sedimentation in the West Bengal Sundarbans. The project itself is fairly good, I'll be supervised by two profs from Queen's, another from the World Bank and another from India.

Anyone have any tips on how you'd even go about starting an application essay of this kind?

Cheers folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Mentioning this kinda tongue in cheek.......kinda. A faculty member of one of the physical sciences within an NUI institution, told me last year that the best way to get research funded currently is to link it to global warming/climate change. If theres a link with what you're studying to similar environments in NI or RoI and/or lessons that can be applied on this island.....maybe one angle to work in? Probably talking 'geriatric shoe makers' but its all I got :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Max001 wrote: »
    Mentioning this kinda tongue in cheek.......kinda. A faculty member of one of the physical sciences within an NUI institution, told me last year that the best way to get research funded currently is to link it to global warming/climate change. If theres a link with what you're studying to similar environments in NI or RoI and/or lessons that can be applied on this island.....maybe one angle to work in? Probably talking 'geriatric shoe makers' but its all I got :)

Thanks a million, it's better than nothing. I have written the essay and have linked how during the PhD I'll have to work with the college I'm doing my postgrad at for one of the methodologies. Then I mentioned how the project links with bigger issues in my field (climate change etc...) and how increased sharing of data across the border will be necessary in the future (so I was trying to say that not only is the project relevant but it's relevant to the whole island). It's the best I got, and to be honest it's scientific research, I really couldn't care less about cross border shit I just want to do my research. So sick of politics.

Advertisement