Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fennell Bulb - what to do ?

Options
  • 20-04-2010 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi,

First time poster but long time reader, I bought a bulb of fennell today and looking for ideas to do with it, any interesting recipes ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 River Cottage

Evening,

Fennel is a lovely veg. I like it cut very finely, raw and added to a salad but bulbs are generally too large for one salad so then I would grilled the remainder on bbq or on a skillet. Finally my other suggestion if these do nothing for you is braised with onion, tomatoe and garlic, nice with mackerel or pork. Hope this helps. Bon appetit

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I like it in salads (or as crudite) too.

Alternately...

chop it into 1 cm-wide strips
    Bring a small pan with a good-fitting lid to the boil with about 1/2" of water, with a good pinch of salt and a small pinch of sugar.
    Add the fennel to this, put on the lid, and allow to boil for about 6 minutes. Remove the lid for another 2 minutes, by which stage, most fo the water should have evaporated.

Transfer the fennel to an oven-proof dish (or leave in the pan, if you've an oven-proof pan.
    Cover with a liberal handful of breadcrumbs, and put grated parmesan (or gruyere) on top of that.

Put the whole lot in the oven at about 180 - 200, for about 15-20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭milkycoffey

if you chop it into strips and just throw a bit of balsamic vinegar, black pepper and salt over it, it makes a lovely snack.
    Surprised you could find any in the shops! With the volcano all the stores around us seem unable to get any in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Feck it out, Its horrible stuff;)

Its my least favourite food

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fennell gratin - similar to bonkey's recipe, except pour over cream that's been heated with garlic and nutmeg before topping with a breadcrumb/parmesan crust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Make a light batter and make fennel tempura

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Yum , I'll give the gratin idea a go.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cool - literally follow bonkey's instructions to the letter, but add cream to the sliced fennel in the gratin dish before topping with crumb. Then bake in the oven.

I'd serve that with grilled pork chops and boiled potatoes...

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I find it's delicious just roasted in olive oil and salt and pepper with some red peppers and courgettes. Wrap it in a pitta with some hummus or refried beans and it's even better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Or my favourite is chop it into a Bouillabaisse!

Freshest fish you can get, some smoked and some shellfish, best fish stew ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I tried the gratin on friday even,, was surprised at the taste, really enjoyed it, when making it didn't think that I would as there was a very strong smell, but was yummy

Advertisement