Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<ALT> tags on thread title links

Options
  • 20-04-2010 5:00pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if anyone else notices this, but if you are in a forum category, and you hover over the link/title of a thread, the ALT tag will show you an excerpt from the first paragraph or so of the text of the thread body. It's not much but its enough to get an idea of what the post might be about, before you click into the thread itself.

However, on the "Subbed" page which I use as my boards homepage, it does not do this, the ALT tag just shows the post title again.

So, do you think this can be changes so its the same across the entire site so we have a preview of the text of the post before clicking on it? Also, can the amount of characters be increased so we can see even more of the post?

I'm guessing it's a fairly easy change to make and I for one find it pretty handy...

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Just to be a pendantic nerd, the "title" attribute should be used, not "alt".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I think ALT is for text on images, was assuming it was the same for this, but Title is it then!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yep, alt is for images but some browsers (correctly) won't show a tooltip if the image is rendered, as technically there's no need for the alternative text. Title can be used for images as well and will show the tooltip effect.

Advertisement