Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving: your thoughts

Options
  • 20-04-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello,

I'm researching on driving experience as part of college. I am a student doing Interactive Media. I want to begin by posting up some questions that can help with a discussion.

I would be happy with any thoughts you have or stories you'd like to share.
    [1] Where did you learn/ prefer to learn to drive?
    Was it from your family/friend/instructor/through a website resource?

[2] Do you have any insecurities about driving?

I for one am not that confident leaving the city on long distance drives due to the speeds that you do, as I do stick to 100km but find a number of people overtaking me who must be going at 120 on the national roads. I usually stick to city/suburb driving.

I remember a time when being behind the wheel was a scary thought. But experience was the key to fix that, even when I got my driver's permit I must have had about 50 hours driving in total and had failed it three times before that. A bit of that total came from driving lessons.

[3] This can relate to the last question:
    Are there any worries about bad habits?

Do you check your mirrors or practice better fuel economy by switching to a higher gears when needed on the straight road? I know my own mother is terrible for staying in lower gears longer than necessary.

I try to remember all my instructor taught me over the two years subconsciously. Stuff about observation and awareness.

[4] How do you feel about back-seat drivers.
    When your friend/partner/family tells you what to do or gives out about your driving?
    What is the difference there with your instructor telling you you did something wrong? Does it matter when you have the experience? (1 month, 1 year, 10 years etc.)
    I know I can get a little hot under the collar when getting criticized, although they maybe right.

[5] Have you ever driven in a foreign place? It can be away from your usual route, on a road trip, or even in another country.
    How do you feel? Are you more careful, aware, discouraged...

[6] What if there was a way to check out these roads before you actually drive through them? What if there was a way to drive on the motorways/routes in Europe on the computer or something?

I think that is already too many questions. :) Anyways, if you have a story for me, I would love to hear it. Storytelling is a gift and makes for a colourful life.

Actually, one more:
    [7] Does anyone know of someone who was driving but can't anymore? Due to personal preference, health-related circumstance... Maybe this project can be an experience of driving without being some boring simulator.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Was it from your family/friend/instructor/through a website resource?

I learned to drive in Galway City, through an instructor. He was very good but I felt that I only really got the hang of driving once I got my own car and went out on my own.

I still slow down when there are a lot of what I would consider narrow bends. I'll go 80 on certain stretches of the N17, for example - seems to piss the people off behind me but I think it's better for me to go at the speed I'm comfortable at rather than cause an accident. It's not like I'm doing 40 or anything, so calm down back there!
    Are there any worries about bad habits?

I've noticed that since I passed my test my indicating to turn onto roads I take every day has gone a bit wobbly, so I have to be vigilant about that.

Ha ha ha ha! My husband doesn't even drive yet, and thankfully the speedometer is not visible from the passenger's seat, but the first couple of times he was in the backseat and could see it he would do this sharp intake of breath every time I got up over 100 on a national road. I finally just took the piss out of him for it (with the help of his sister) so now he leaves me alone :P
    [5] Have you ever driven in a foreign place? It can be away from your usual route, on a road trip, or even in another country.
    How do you feel? Are you more careful, aware, discouraged...
    Does Limerick count? :D No seriously, I'd never even BEEN to Limerick, and I had to get to a specific spot so I bought a Sat Nav and now I feel like I can go anywhere. Still haven't driven to Dublin though.
    [6] What if there was a way to check out these roads before you actually drive through them? What if there was a way to drive on the motorways/routes in Europe on the computer or something?

Well, there is - on my sat nav you can sort of virtually drive the route before taking it, if you want to. I don't think I'd bother doing it for a long trip though.
    [7] Does anyone know of someone who was driving but can't anymore? Due to personal preference, health-related circumstance... Maybe this project can be an experience of driving without being some boring simulator.

My mother-in-law has lost all confidence for driving. She hadn't had a car for years and then she bought one a few years back, but only ever drove with my father-in-law in the passenger seat. A couple winters ago she had to go into hospital and since she's come out she hasn't driven at all. It's really sad but I think she's built it up so much in her mind as this scary thing that she just can't face trying it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DragonboyVNY

Xiney wrote: »
    I learned to drive in Galway City, through an instructor. He was very good but I felt that I only really got the hang of driving once I got my own car and went out on my own.

Yes it is like that for most I think. I have a friend who hasn't gone back to driving lessons in over a year. Although there is a car back home his father left him after passing away. I think he has issues he won't talk to people about. He can't drive the car until he gets a full license, as there isn't really much chance for a full licensed driver to sit beside him.
    He has already put off the driving exam once and missed another for sleeping in I think. A waste of time and money, but it becomes guilt for him over time. I wonder if this is a common problem, putting off the test or not going to lessons?
    I still slow down when there are a lot of what I would consider narrow bends. I'll go 80 on certain stretches of the N17, for example - seems to piss the people off behind me but I think it's better for me to go at the speed I'm comfortable at rather than cause an accident. It's not like I'm doing 40 or anything, so calm down back there!

i have a problem with tailgaters. I usually drive at the speed limit 50km :cool: on the roads around Limerick if they are tailgating unnecessarily.
    There was a girl in a red corolla the other night who was swerving a little and slowly tipping away. Pretty sure it was to do with alcohol.
    Does Limerick count? :D No seriously, I'd never even BEEN to Limerick, and I had to get to a specific spot so I bought a Sat Nav and now I feel like I can go anywhere. Still haven't driven to Dublin though.

Well, there is - on my sat nav you can sort of virtually drive the route before taking it, if you want to. I don't think I'd bother doing it for a long trip though.

Cool. A Satnav is reassuring alright. Except for my dumb TomTom who told me to do a right turn 200 metres ahead when there was none. Then told me to do a U-Turn as soon as possible.

I almost forgot there is a little walk-through you can do with a satnav :)
    I am thinking somewhere along the lines of letting people explore Google Earth using a driving simulator. Or making it more surreal like driving through a dream. Like in Homer's dream driving sequence. It's more a fun thing than real driving thing.

This guy has a cool time lapse video of a drive. I think it is pretty dream-like. I may use an idea for fun/entertainment/therapeutic for driving through a dream.
    My mother-in-law has lost all confidence for driving. She hadn't had a car for years and then she bought one a few years back, but only ever drove with my father-in-law in the passenger seat. A couple winters ago she had to go into hospital and since she's come out she hasn't driven at all. It's really sad but I think she's built it up so much in her mind as this scary thing that she just can't face trying it again.
    That's very sad to hear. Reminds me of when my dad came out of hospital after a heart surgery. He hadn't driven in maybe almost a year. When he finally was confident in going back into his car, he sat for a about five minutes. I asked him what's wrong. He said he forgot how to drive. Then he turned on the engine, and it slowly came back to him. I think it is something to be done in baby steps. Some memorable moments for him and I (he passed away 3 years ago) were trips to shopping for toys and gadgets. Boys and their toys y'know :)

If I can think of a way to make this deam-driving simulator/feature cheaply using the open-source stuff out there it'd be more than just a good grade, it'd my dream come true ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dimbodoyle

Hey Dragonboy

Always happy to help thesis research

Mixture of a friend and a driving instructor. Id get a lesson then go out with a friend and practice

I hate stopping on hills. I am convinced that the car will slip backwards and this has happened several times. What usually happens is I wind up over-revving the engine and shooting off!

Not really - I should probably use the handbrake more
    I do switch gears high and on long journeys I will try and sit in the wake of trucks at a safe distance.

I have a simple rule - anyone who gets in the car can be told to shut up and cant get offended.
    If people feel they can drive the car better or differently they are free to use their own car.

No - except driving in Kerry.

What would be interesting would be to tie up data from google maps or aa etc via Sim city or some similar Off the shelf game. They used to have a sim chopper which let you fly through ur cities. and google has goggles. something like this for driving might be good

Actually, one more:
    [7] Does anyone know of someone who was driving but can't anymore? I have 2 friends who temporarily cant drive due to illness. They expect to be allowed shortly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Moved to the Surveys and Non-Media Research forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DragonboyVNY

@ Stargal thanks for the Spring cleaning.
    Mixture of a friend and a driving instructor. Id get a lesson then go out with a friend and practice
    Cool, like most normal people :) Any fear of picking up your friend's bad or good habits?
    I hate stopping on hills. I am convinced that the car will slip backwards and this has happened several times. What usually happens is I wind up over-revving the engine and shooting off!
    Imagine driving in Cork everyday. The hill starts would kill me! :pac:
    My handbrake arm would get some workout too. I don't really believe in handbrakes at red lights like my instructor told me to do. But hills are a must unless I feel a bit brave. that's silly isn't it? Brave enough to take risks like overtaking and stuff. What I am interested in is how worth it is before it become reckless or blind (like not checking or looking before you go)

I have a simple rule - anyone who gets in the car can be told to shut up and cant get offended.
    If people feel they can drive the car better or differently they are free to use their own car.
    Do you ever feel like you should be like, the best driver in the world because of particular company or passengers? Like the mom,dad, partner, particular love interest? Therefore a little self conscious or even extra confident (now this one is rare, extra confidence for having the attention)

What would be interesting would be to tie up data from google maps or aa etc via Sim city or some similar Off the shelf game. They used to have a sim chopper which let you fly through ur cities. and google has goggles. something like this for driving might be good
    I was looking at Virtual Earth from Microsoft as a difference to Google Earth. Originally I thought being able to plan routes on googlemaps, then launch it in a driving platform would be nice. Don't know how though :)
    [7] Does anyone know of someone who was driving but can't anymore?

I have 2 friends who temporarily cant drive due to illness. They expect to be allowed shortly though.
    Can you let me know if this has impacted their driving when they do? Hopefully they will be perfectly ok with the driving task. I found I had to give it up a while after a finger injury put me in a splint and I couldn't operate the handbrake because of the pain. Made a full recovery now.

thanks again everyone.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement