Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Do you have a problem with achievement boosting?

• 20-04-2010 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Since we haven't had a serious xbox debate in a while, I'll start one :o

Before I begin, might as well say I've no problem with it. While I mightn't do it for some games that I've a nostalgic pride for, I can say I'm guilty of it for games I don't care about, or just want the punishment to be over. Might give some hassle to someone for it (my friend played the same level over and over and over again for the Seriously 2.0 chievo on gears 2), but I understand and wouldn't get serious about it. But some people have a HUGE problem with it.

I'm of course talking about the idea of achievement boosting, using methods or exploitations to earn achievements. Examples are the Seriously 2.0 glitch above, the "So you've got something to prove" and "You've still got something to prove" glitches from L4D and L4D2 respectively, and many others.

If I was to give both sides of the argument I'd be taking the fun out of this so just tell us, what're your thoughts on achievement boosting? :)

Edit: I'm not on about achievement whoring, which is looking to get achievements to boost your gamerscore, I'm on about glitching or abusing exploitations to earn an achievement rather than working for it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

Dont have a problem with it, if people care so much about their Gamerscore they grind or boost a game let them at it, its their time and doing nobody any harm.

Done it myself a few times just to get that little 'pop' of the gamerscore bursting onto my screen! Mostly cant be arsed though.

Its only a game!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Alan_007_

I presume you're talking about gamerscore?

Tbh I couldn't care less what my or anybody elses Gamerscore is anyway so it doesn't bother me.That's just my opinion and I know that other people are very proud of their Gamerscore and boosting may annoy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I dont mind it but people who feel the need to boost their gamerscore have something seriously wrong with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

If your using a glitch to get the achievements thats pointless although if your putting in the time and effort to get them sure why not its something to do.

I couldnt be bothered with getting all the achievements in most games although mentioned above the Seriously 2.0 achievement is one I will get eventually:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I dont even care about my achievements, i certainly dont care about anyone elses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

To be honest if they feel like their gamerscore really means all that much let them have at it, they probably have little else going on, but as long as it doesn't effect my playing then let them have at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

I enjoy Achievement hunting as I get exactly that; a sense of achievement.

To be honest, I think many people have their own view on achievements. Some see them as points to boost your GamerScore, others see them as bonus challenges, and there are people who see it as completely pointless.

I enjoy playing a game and finishing it, if I get achievements along the way they are a nice added bonus. If I really loved the game I will go back and try and get other achievements as I would see them as further challenges and experiences of the game.

However, I would never bother with achievements such as 'Seriously 2.0' or the Left 4 Dead ones like 53,596 Zombies killed. They are utterly pointless, and require a lot of dedication or time. But, achievements like the 69 Stars in MW2 are thoroughly enjoyable as they add to the challenge and you get a sense of achievement from earning them.

Just my two cents! :)

P.S Achievement glitching/boosting (especially in Multiplayer) is a huge annoyance. Why bother doing it if you cant do it legitimately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

I think we're misunderstanding the topic, I'm not on about achievement whoring, which is looking to get achievements to boost your gamerscore, I'm on about glitching or abusing exploitations to earn an achievement rather than working for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Don't care,can't see the point in doing it though,unless it's one of those games with insanely difficult achievements. I like trying to unlock them,especially in XBLA games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Slugs wrote: »
    I think we're misunderstanding the topic, I'm not on about achievement whoring, which is looking to get achievements to boost your gamerscore, I'm on about glitching or abusing exploitations to earn an achievement rather than working for it

No, I have a life. Do you get pissed off thinking about people using cheats to play the last level on some game without putting the work in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well if any one knows any good glitches to get achievments let me know as I would use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

VinLieger wrote: »
    I dont mind it but people who feel the need to boost their gamerscore have something seriously wrong with them

Because they think that when people see their gamerscore they think this

No, I have a life. Do you get pissed off thinking about people using cheats to play the last level on some game without putting the work in?
    Seems Patrick's working overtime...

facepalm.jpg

Did you even read the opening post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I couldn't care what people do in a game, just don't do it online and p*ss off other people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

I did Slug. Why debate something so pointless if you don't have a problem with it? Surely there are more productive things you can be doing.

Like what, watching tv? o.O I brought it up for the lulz and would like to hear what the boardsies thought of it given how much hassle it causes on other forums....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I wouldn't be into it myself but to use some of the glitches requires a fair bit of dedication and ocd so maybe they deserve their 50G (or whatever it may be) afterwards. Replaying the Brumak level of Gears 2 over and over must get mind-numbingly tedious after a while.

The only real issue with it is that if someone actually worked hard and legitimately got a hard-to-get achievement, everyone is just going to assume they used the glitches anyway! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I did Slug. Why debate something so pointless if you don't have a problem with it? Surely there are more productive things you can be doing.

Because as he said in the OP, he wanted to start up a debate and perhaps liven up the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I really dont give a rats about the whole achievement/trophy system on either platform to be honest, does not make any difference to me, I generally dont tend to examine them, but I know some of my mates will be the first to go out of their way to get them, either using "nefarious" purposes or not!

I dont see the big issue with glitching to get them either but if I were a somewhat "honest" gamer I can see Joe Public having an issue with it.....

In saying all that, it would piss me off if I came across a few people in an online match all pitching together to get certain achievements and ignoring the actual game being played, its happened me a few times on Halo 3 at this stage....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I don't have a problem with people boosting.

Boosting can be a hell of a time stink but if some people enjoy doing it then that's they're choice and there's nothing wrong with it. "Seriously 2.0," even with the Brumaker method, must be a pain in the ass to get but if a person wants to replay the same 5minutes over and over for hours then they deserve their 50g or whatever for sheer determination through monotony :)

Now that I think of it;
    Monotony Killer - 50G
    Could be an achievement in itself eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

As long as it's boosting and not glitching then what's the issue?

Many seem to hold the term boosting in the same light as glitching ? They are two very different things.

Boosting for example would be organising a multiplayer game specifically to get an achievement. Example of one I did recently was the one on Team Fortress where you need to play it with 7 friends at the same time, now how would I get this any other way? I don't have 7 friends who own the orange box let alone play it all at the same time?

Achievements like that are designed to be boosted there is likely a low % chance of getting that by chance, It actually took quite a bit of effort on my part to organise the session and remind people to show up and make sure everyone was on every one elses friend list etc etc.

Also arranged some sessions recently to get the achievements in Beatles Rock Band for getting gold stars on the songs, no way to cheat them just play well but easier to do in a full band, so again I arranged the games and got people to turn up specifically to get these, again this is classed as boosting, what is wrong with that?

Glitching on the other hand would be using an exploit to get an achievement while avoiding game play etc. Off hand the one that comes to mind where some of the guitar hero 3 one's where if you removed the patch by clearing the cache you could get 3 or 4 hard achievements with little more than loading and quitting to the dash and back in again.

Sometimes the line between the 2 can be blurred, not really glitching but when someone is selling access to prestige lobbies in MW2 it grinds my gears a little, mind you if you are fool enough to pay then .......... :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I could care less about achievements or trophies. I like looking at them when I randomly ding them but other then that, I dont care enough about G points to so much as look through the lust when I get a new game.... that should give you an idea of where I'm at.

Calex, sounds like you are mad for those G points, cool.... I would agree with you that you are meant to arrange to beat those achievements by those methods. I would be more suspect if you said you and your mate were standing behind the sheds on one level, headshoting each other 1000 times or something.

I guess some people judge people's "worth" as a gamer by G-points or trophies. Kinda misses the point of playing games really....

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

DeVore wrote: »
    Kinda misses the point of playing games really....

I agree and dis-agree with you.

In one way I think achievements can distort a player's view of a game. If you play through a game with the achievement list beside you and are constantly refering to it you will not enjoy the game as it was intended. The goal of the game will be distorted by the treasure hunt you are pursuing in the back of your mind. This can be the case for some but not all games.

Having said that achievements/ trophies are a fairy new thing and a lot of people are enjoying them. The point of games is to have fun and enjoy yourself so if some gamers enjoy chasing achievements and have fun doing it then mission accomplished for them. All the hate directed at achievements shouldn't stand in the way of them enjoying achievement hunting if thats their thing.

Sorry OP I know this is off topic of cheating to achievement boost but its hard to have a discussion on achievements and not wander down this path.

Sorry OP I know this is off topic of cheating to achievement boost but its hard to have a discussion on achievements and not wander down this path.

Don't apoligise for anything mate, I wanted to get a discussion going on the whole topic of achievements ;) It going slightly off topic is not a need for concern :), just happy to see people's input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Achievements are a nice little bonus in games but if people wanna boost then it's up to them. Personally I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I enjoy games as a recreational hobby so don't really care about my Gamerscore or anyone elses.

I play a game simply for fun and enjoyment. If people wanna play solely for upping their gamerscore then fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I actually quite like the achievements system, and give can give a greater feeling of reward in less rewarding parts of games. When I played Zero G basketball in Dead Space to death because I'm a pedantic gamer and wanted to explore every part of the fantastic game, it did feel good to get chucked 5GS for more troubles. Achievement whoring I'm not so much a fan of, just look at my Gamer Card and you'll notice only a handful of the games I've played have I exceeded about 500 GS on and that was out of having completed them but having wanted to continue them on after having done so.

As for cheating to get achievements however, it's a bit sad really isn't it? They're ACHIEVEments, what in the bloody hell do you achieve through cheating?!?!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

DeVore wrote: »

Calex, sounds like you are mad for those G points, cool....

What can I say .... I've been outed :D

Seriously though for me , it's not about the numbers. Game comes 1st but I do get a great sense of reward and satisfaction from getting some of them. Some are a major incentive to me to try playing a game in a way I wouldn't normally or give it a second play though. Hmmmmmm for example Fallout 3 for the ones where you need to play as an evil character, normally it would be the goodie 2 shoes all the way for me. I have some peole on my friends list though who will play any rubbish just to get GS from it, and would be the type to ask you to help them get 1000 headshots. For me unless the game is fun to play then there is no way I would spend any time going for them.

Going by this thread though it's an emotive topic for some, which surprised me a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

I've a nice little stck of achievements gathered up over the years, a lot with the help of my kids .
    I dont think there is anything wrong with going after achievements , be it you play the game once or a 100 times its up to individual.
    Boosting for gamerscore is ok too, alot of achievements out there you kinda have to boost for them.
    Achievement glitching , as in using a transfer cable is just stupid , thats an insecurity problem.
    If a game has a glitch which allows you get and achievement out of it , so be it.

Lets face it , whether you like going for achievements or not , its nice to see the ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED symbol pop up. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

What people do in their own time by themselves is their own business. However glitching online when your against other people p1sses me off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Chronus

Well i gotta tell you that i do like the whole achievement thing. Maybe that's because i'm sorta new to xbox, given my favorite kind of game is MMORPG and computer is all that matters when it comes to this kind of game, so i bought my xbox only a few months ago.
    Back to topic, I agree that glitching is only a problem when it comes to online play, and boosting is fine as long as ppl in the game let you know they are not there to "just play it", otherwise it's a waste of time to join a game where some of the players are not giving a damn to the game itself, only to some achievement.

There is also one thing, it's not the GS that I care about, what I wanted was to achieve 100% in the games i have/like, but in my first attempt i already got frustrated and wished there was a glitch for it - you guys should know the game Too Human, well there are 4 achievements to go, but 3 of them are just ridicuously annoying to get. I have played through the game 3 times and done specific acts many many others, which accumulated me maybe 70 hours of gameplay. I've been reading arround and seen people with 150 hours and still couldn't get one or two of these achievements, because they regard dropping specific (very very rare) itens and they seem to be just random. So even though i reaaally wanted to have 100% i moved on to other games because i just couldn't stand playing the same acts over and over again... Hell if there was a glitch for these chievos, i'd do it.

As a last consideration, i tend to play the game first, focusing ONLY in it's history, not worried about achievement hunting, then I start thinking about achievements, so this way my gameplay fun isn't ruined by the concern of getting achievements.

sorry for going a bit off topic, thought it could have been relevant. :D

Advertisement