Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords club league Weds 21st

• 20-04-2010 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Well Lads,

first proper race tomorrow in Garristown. Any thougths or predictions.

Nice kicker of a course to start with with some nasty hills a good bit of dead road and a horrible hill just before the end.

Shaun

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Brian MacNamara of Orwell for the win climbing well and in group 2.

The Cycleways guys are coming too with a strong scratch likely so it'll be either a limit or semi-limit staying away or a scratch rider winning.

Personally will ride well then get shelled out over Ardcath the last time up watching all the skinny feckers disappear into the distance.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Based on the mapmyride route, it starts in Garristown then heads north to an anticlockwise circuit. How many laps of this circuit are there, and does it then head back to Garristown for the finish (& what's the total distance)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Can non club members race in the league?

What distance and type of event is the Garristown event?

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Can non club members race in the league?

What distance and type of event is the Garristown event?

Thanks

Depends on which club you are in. You need a minimum of a club racing licence.
    Stamullen, Dublin Wheelers, and selected Orwell riders are always welcome. Exmembers riding for new clubs are generally welcome as well.
    Technically no more than 5 different clubs can participate in a club race.
    PM me if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Assuming he blags his way into Group 2 (again!), my money is on the Staro.

• Advertisement

@Beasty

I seem to remember distances were on swordscc.com before it switched to the embedded Google calendar. I think the total distance for this on is 45km. that means 3 laps of the square circuit, and then back to Garristown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

I think that tonight is only two laps. I assume that fading light is the limiting factor. What time is sign on? I have told the Lion of Fingal that I will steward if he is stuck so I have an escape route. If I race I hope to be keeping Robfowl company as I too get shelled out second time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

The hill into Ardcath and then b4 the finish tends to keep this one away from pure sprinters. No way Staro is going in group 2 any nore. The writing is on the wall for that lad.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam is staying very quiet. Didn't he win one at this circuit last year?

(Not that I want to put any pressure on:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

There are a few dark horses this year..... Shaungil & glenamaddy being 2 , I would throw Raam into this category as well. If I was a betting man...my money would be on Mr Kennedy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

hey lads

Could a fella race if he is unattached lads, im not from round here but i know that back home, once u have a race licence there is usually no problem. but if u are not part of the club u do not get points for participating.

what time is that race starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

did Skeffo not win one of these last year

Staro wrote: »
    There are a few dark horses this year..... Shaungil

I think shaungil has moved out of the "dark horse" category, and has fully exposed himself this year (in the limelight I mean:D)

Will they be running 4 groups tonight? Based on last week, and some of the comments above, it looks like there could be quite a few turning up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

jimbo28 wrote: »
    Could a fella race if he is unattached lads, im not from round here but i know that back home, once u have a race licence there is usually no problem.

Columbia HTC riders are permitted to enter if accompanied by either Cavendish or Griepel. ;)

Lumen wrote: »
    Columbia HTC riders are permitted to enter if accompanied by either Cavendish or Griepel. ;)

cavman cant make it but ill see what i can do for the next race.....sounds like the hills would kill him anyways :)

do u know what time it starts at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Us larger lads will have to out power the skinny feckers on the flat and hopefully tire them out for the climbs. I imagine it's going to be a fast race tonight.

Mission for tonight: Hang On for dear life and don't do anything stoopid in the bunch.

Jimbo, PM Robfowl as he's in the know on the league and who can do it. Sign in at 7.00 normally.
    Mr Skeff won on this course last year.

Hungrycol wrote: »

Mission for tonight: Hang On for dear life and don't do anything stoopid in the bunch entering car parks with height restrictions.
    FYP

cheers lads, will try to make it down.....sounds like it could be a bit of craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

jimbo28 wrote: »
    cavman cant make it but ill see what i can do for the next race.....sounds like the hills would kill him anyways :)

do u know what time it starts at?

Guys

I look after the Swordscc Website. I try my best to put as much information on it as possible.

Check out the Club Calendar as I've included maps showing the sign-on locatons for each race.

cheers
    p.s. sign on is 7pm for all races.

http://sites.google.com/site/swordscc/Club-Calendar

• Advertisement

Well, after my first taste of competitive cycling with the hill climb last week, tonight was my first ever proper race, and I really enjoyed it.

Based on last week's performance I was placed in the second group (5 groups with well over 50 riders taking part in total). The first group had about 6 in - I'm not sure how much of a time advantage they had (nor indeed the advantage we had over the 3rd group)

The good news was I was alongside some experienced racers (much more experienced than me, anyway), including RobFowl and a few others from the Skerries area (including midonogh and shaungil's brother, who was also taking part in his first race). I think there was about 8 of us in total.

We set off at a fair pace - there was a decent downward stretch before we turned right to do a couple of circuits, then returning to Garristown.

I had a few turns on the front, although my inexperience clearly showed, and I pushed it a bit too hard on occasions, opening up a bit of a gap. However the experience of the other guys helped us keep up a good and consistent pace.

We caught a few from the first group, and continued on the first circuit. I didn't push it too hard up the hill towards the end of that circuit. Some were a bit faster than me and some a bit slower, but I know I had something in reserve if needed.

We were eventually caught with probably 8km to go. I kept with the main group for a couple of km, but lost touch when I took the final corner very gingerly (there was a bit of an upward slope, and I failed to get back on). I pushed it up the hill this time, and finished in a group of about 7 or 8 (I think most of the others had been dropped from the main group also).

I understand there was at least one accident caused by a large pothole (although I didn't see it) - I hope the guy who fell is OK

So to the stats:

Distance 31.9km
    Time 57:14
    Average speed - 33.5 kph (max 68 kph)
    Average power 279w (max 755w)
    Average HR 163 (max 177)
    Total climbing 350m

Although I was never going to keep with the main group, I do feel as if I had some more to give. Next week's course is intriguingly called the Bog of the Ring, and is relatively flat, which should suit me a bit more than Garristown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Oh man that guy dropped right in front of me, Jens Voight style. Happened when scratch caught us and things got a little frantic. No pot hole calls and he went to avoid it at the last minute and ended hitting it at a funny angle sending him horizontal skidding across the road. He looked in a really bad way but I saw at the finish he was sitting up in the ambulance. Really hope he's OK. God Bless helmets.

As for me, started in group three and finished about 50 yards behind the front group. Needed a drill sargent to get us to do the up and overs as a lot of the same guys were out front, no working together which was a pity. Overall, a nice leg burner and lung buster and happy with my performance. No stats, bike computer broken due to last weeks alterication with a height limit pole. HR stats: Bananas!

Well done Beasty and Hungrycol glad you enjoyed it. Crasher had broken collar bone and on way to Beaumont. Helmet did it's job.
    Roads weren't great in places.
    Group 4 for me pretty messy only a few working caught by scratch 10 mins in pace high but do-able, had a mech issue on the las t turn before hill into Ardcath and had to stop. would have been shelled on hills by class of guys in scratch. TT's for a lap passed few bodies. Stopped with crashee then rolled home chatting.
    Great numbers new faces and plenty for me to learn. Great way to get a workout cos so many scrubbers from what I can see.
    @ Beasty Brother was happy with himself too and like yourself found the up and over hard at times esp when lads don't come through. He's probably too polite so will get him to sort it out. Next week is your perect course v flat no climb of note and only 2 drags.

Well done Beasty & Keith!

I heard the crash somewhere behind me really hope (Niall I think) is ok I know he had a bad accident last year so get well soon.

I punctured just before the last hill before the finish line but enjoyed every bit of the race before that.

Can anyone in group 3 confirm if Delboyfagan and Staro did any work in the group. There been scurrilous rumours regarding their team work and ethics surfacing recently.

I cycled into work yesterday and then cycled out to the race. When I registered I discovered that I was moved up one group despite the fact that I marshaled at last weeks time trial. I opted to move up another group, so I'm one group away from scratch (which is where I hope to be by the end of the season).

Surprised at the amount of sandbagging going on in semi-scratch, I thought this was par for the course in the slower groups, but not at this level. There were a lot of people 'saving' themselves for the hill (or the finish), I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that in the early part of the season, those who have not raced yet are unsure of their abilities and will start contributing in a few races time. But I also saw a few wilie vets hanging back, fellas who will out climb and out sprint you when they need to.

I was dropped in a section of the course that I always underestimate, but better to be dropped knowing you've put the effort in than to be dropped having done nothing but hang on I say.

Confident I'll handle semi-scratch next week, so happy overall.

Clock said I'd done 105k yesterday, thanks to Barry for giving me a lift home, it was too dark to do another 20k home after the race

@ Shaungil, there was about 5 or 6 of us working out of a group of about 20 was delboy in group 3?????

shaungil wrote: »
    Can anyone in group 3 confirm if Delboyfagan and Staro did any work in the group. There been scurrilous rumours regarding their team work and ethics surfacing recently.

Came in with a group with Delboy and to be fair to him he was working his socks off.

PS any one know who won???

Heard Super Lav won. Staro confirming yourself does not count a bit of independence would be better.

• Advertisement

Heard Super Lav won. Staro confirming yourself does not count a bit of independence would be better.

So anyone else see your "chain slip" then ;)

Don't worry I got plenty of abuse after. Glen can back me up I think. Never touched the bike after the weekend and when chain came off I tried to use the gears to get it back on but no luck as it got tangled. Just needs some degreaser and oil I guess.
    Actually am heading away this weekend and promised the missus I wouldn't bring bike.
    I wanted to give last night a good go (as I did) and try to hit the hill feeling tired to see how I went up the hills. would have been shelled but would give me an indication of what I need to do to stay with the big boys

sounds like everyone enjoyed that race so. hve to say it was a good mid week spin and definately beats training on your own. hope to make it for a few more of these. thanks again for the info yesterday lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

it was a good race alright, but I think that we should NOT use that circuit unless someone goes and fills in the Holes !!! There are at least 5 or 6 that hit you hit them you'll either break a rim or a collarbone, which happened last night, not a great way to find wheather a circuit is safe or not !!! alot of switching going on ...even from the more experienced riders ......

Anyways I started in -1 scratch with most sitting on ... waiting .... anyways my breathing got the better of me on the start of the 2nd lap... hopefully it will be better in a couple of weeks ...

Biker Joe

biker_joe wrote: »
    it was a good race alright, but I think that we should NOT use that circuit unless someone goes and fills in the Holes !!! There are at least 5 or 6 that hit you hit them you'll either break a rim or a collarbone, which happened last night, not a great way to find wheather a circuit is safe or not !!! alot of switching going on ...even from the more experienced riders ......

Anyways I started in -1 scratch with most sitting on ... waiting .... anyways my breathing got the better of me on the start of the 2nd lap... hopefully it will be better in a couple of weeks ...

Biker Joe

Agree re this circuit. One of the club members has made huge efforts to get all the potholes filled in and both Meath and Fingal county councils have photos descriptions and locations on google map of all the holes on all the courses !!
    Unfortunately most of the courses are not in great shape after the winter so extra care needed by all.

it was a good race alright, but I think that we should NOT use that circuit unless someone goes and fills in the Holes !!!

Just wait until next week - there's one "pothole" that takes up the whole left hand side of the road with only a very narrow way through on the "wrong" side of the road

Hopefully someone will have done something about it by Wednesday, but this is a general problem with a lot of of the roads in North County Dublin following last winter

I drove round the course last night, so had an idea of where the bad bits of road were. It helped that I was in a small group and everyone was calling the potholes. I did hit one but that was after the main group caught us, and I never saw it.

• Advertisement

Agree that the course and alot of smaller roads around north county are in bits ! I can't see the Noel Hammond being run on the usual circuit ....

As for the Coucils filling in the holes, I can n't see it happening unless someone reports last nights accident to them, should we try and fill them ourselves ? surely there is builder amongst us ??? and some willing riders to help some night ?

Biker Joe

Beasty wrote: »
    Just wait until next week - there's one "pothole" that takes up the whole left hand side of the road with only a very narrow way through on the "wrong" side of the road
    Thats no a pothole. they started mining for coal there and just left the entrance open.
    Seriuosly it is a section of road that is in a shocking state and someone will get hurt if it is not fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

Think the Hammond is being run in Wicklow this year.

As for the Coucils filling in the holes, I can n't see it happening unless someone reports last nights accident to them, should we try and fill them ourselves ? surely there is builder amongst us ??? and some willing riders to help some night ?

Biker Joe
    Joe the council wont fill them in as they have spent all their money on a lvely house for a traveller family just off the circuit +/or taken nice jollies to Brazil have no money.
    As for filling them in 'privatley' you may have trouble finding someone to do this as then you become liable for anything that happens on that part.

true, but that ain't going help by not doing anything !! at the least we could mark around the hole with florescent paint ... same is done for some of the open races .... I think the garristown circuit is down for another two races ...

What circuit is the other Coal mine hole on ???

Biker Joe

• Advertisement

Joe, I am not sure if you know the one I am talking about but it strechtes across the whole road with just '1 bike width' passable section on the wrong side. I know this will have to be filled in as it is on the Ras as it approaches Balrothery.
    If you do know it then sorry.

...Glen can back me up I think.

I almost went into the back of you when it happend, I briefly considered giving you a push to get you going but realised I'd be pushing all that mass up a hill!

yea I think I heard a Chain drop !! and few nicely choosen words :)
    did you get back on ?

Maybe fit one of these Shaun ?

http://ninjaturtlesracingdiary.blogspot.com/2009/05/anti-chain-drop-devices.html

Biker_Joe

RobFowl wrote: »
    Unfortunately most of the courses are not in great shape after the winter so extra care needed by all.

Do we have to have prescribed 'courses', if the roads not up to the job the course should be abandoned and a new course used instead.

Some of the courses used in the open races have been of good quality, the Harry Reynolds course and a shorter version of the Stamullen Grand Prix for example.

I'd rather be racing on busier roads with a good surface than treacherous back roads.

Do we have to have prescribed 'courses', if the roads not up to the job the course should be abandoned and a new course used instead.

Some of the courses used in the open races have been of good quality, the Harry Reynolds course and a shorter version of the Stamullen Grand Prix for example.

I'd rather be racing on busier roads with a good surface than treacherous back roads.

The Harry Reynold's course is a possibility but there's concern about the volume of traffic on the Skerries/Lusk roads. The Short Stamullen circuit used to used but was abandoned due to heavy traffic and some very close calls. Feels free to suggest any others but ideally to allow for Handicapping the need to be at least 6 miles long and ideally closer to 10

there is an altenative to the Bog.
    At the x roads just beyond the sprts centre.
    On the current route take a left up Dermotstown which leads to the Naul Rd. Go down past the the current left hand turn to the next left hand which leads straight back down the Bog Rd. I will MMR it now to see how long it is if interested

bcmf wrote: »
    there is an altenative to the Bog.
    At the x roads just beyond the sprts centre.
    On the current route take a left up Dermotstown which leads to the Naul Rd. Go down past the the current left hand turn to the next left hand which leads straight back down the Bog Rd. I will MMR it now to see how long it is if interested

If you're free in 15 mins we can cycle it !!

Missus still stuck abroad-at little closer to home- but still abroad

this looks a bit short.Dont even think about the Matt Lane that runs on the 'inside' of the M1. Sections of that make the Pave look like freshly laid roads

ok I have couple of Suggestions .... but these circuits may have already been ruled out by the committee ? and have been phased out over the last few years .....

1. The Old Town circuit that we used to use that takes the left up a slight drag off the road to Garristown

2. The Boot Inn Circuit ( this is still used by the ladies ? on the same night ? )

3. The old Balrothary Circuit.

4. The Green Sheds / Warrenstown Circuit. / Mullagh Circuit when available ?
    5. Are we using the Corduff Circuit this year ?

Biker Joe

• Advertisement
Advertisement