Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

occassional staff, no payment, administrative screwup

Options
  • 20-04-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Bit of an odd one.
    I'm a postgrad student at an Irish university and have a research scholarship to live on. On top of this I work for the college demonstating labs etc. during term time and get paid by the hour for this. Every month if I have worked hours I submit a claim form before a certain date and get paid for the work done (about 3 weeks later).

This month form went in on time, as did many other students, but an administrator (who is the last stage in the signing off process) screwed up and didnt submit the forms to treasurers department before the deadline. So we checked our accounts on payday morning...we discovered there was no payments as expected.

So after pestering emails this administrator has admits that it was a mistake on their behalf but says theres nothing to be done about it now and we'll have to wait a month to get the money. On top of this, this administrator knew almost immediately that it had been missed but never bothered to even send a courtesy email telling people straight away so they could prepare. Many of us were relying on that money coming through as expected for basic living expenses, direct debits etc.

Is there anything that can be done to force this issue so people don't have to wait a month to get this money?
    Or do we have no rights as we are just "occasional staff" and can be screwed to the wall and the money left gathering interest in the college bank account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm not sure, but would asking the treasury people directly be an idea? It seems the admin doesn't care that they made the mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Well the treasury people are administrators too and I know from past experience that the are very much centred on these hard deadlines. I really don't see any way of advancing things there. I've been emailing the GSU but haven't got a reply yet...its just so frustrating that we can be treated like crap and they can get away with it.

The term is over so there are no labs or tutorials anymore so we cannot withdraw labour in protest. I suspect this is one of the main reasons the administrator didn't forewarn us that we wouldnt be paid as labs etc were still happening at that point.

Advertisement