Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to format second hard drive?

• 20-04-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently bought a new drive and installed everything on it. I still have the original drive in there and want to use it as extra storage. So I need to remove the old OS and stuff.

What is the best way to format this drive. Also, once thats done can I install programs on it. For example, when installing a program and it prompts for install folder (C:/Program files) I can use the D: instead?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Just out of curiousity, I just did a normal format by right clicking on the drive and selecting format!

I went to install Office whose default installation folder is Program Files (x86) on the C: drive. However, I just created a folder called Program Files on my second drive without the (x86). Will this be a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I dont see the advantage of installing program files on to your second drive to be honest. It will just complicate your setup and add risk (you will be depending on both drives being operational).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

JDxtra wrote: »
    I dont see the advantage of installing program files on to your second drive to be honest. It will just complicate your setup and add risk (you will be depending on both drives being operational).

Well I figured I was doing a good thing by not cluttering up one drive and slowing it down!

Hmm but maybe your right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Installed programs will generally use very little space on modern drives (assuming your new drive is 500Gb+).

I have my primary drive split into separate partitions - the C: drive (with all my programs and operating system installed) is only 50Gb, but I'm using less than half of it.

By the way, I used my old drive as an additional backup. So, I have my personal data on my main drive AND a copy on my old drive as well. Should cover me for a hard drive failure of my main hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

JDxtra wrote: »
    In the event of a failure sure. Its more like RAID 0 without the RAID. By keeping Drive 1 for the OS and system critical programs you're saving a lot of headache when you play large programs, games, or movies on the other drive. When the first drive is busy doing a virus scan, etc. its rarely if ever interfering with the 2nd drive and vice versa. And who likes having their movie or game lagged to hell when something funky goes on with the OS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

By default i have it set to install all programs on my 2nd HD

this is done with a quick regedit.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

change the ProgramFilesDir to be whatever you want. By default its c:\program files

Advertisement