Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Tonsillectomy

Options
  • 20-04-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, I'm 21. I got my tonsils removed on the 12th April, today being the 20th. On the 15th I woke up choking on what felt like a river of blood, I think my bathroom looked like a murder scene afterwards. Wel anyway, I was rushed back to hospital and by the time I got there the bleeding had stopped and it hasn't bled since...doc didn't touch me when I went back in they just kept me in for observation and said it was prob a clot that shifted. What I'd like to know is has this happened to any1 else especially so soon after surgery as usually bleeding doesn't usually happen til 10 days after, and if it did was that it or did more bleeding occur?? Also, how long does it take for a full recovery? I realise it's different for everyone but an estimate wil do..OH!! and after surgery I noticed that both sides of my tongue were cut and now it's red raw making it harder to eat and drink now, its EXTREMELY PAINFUL and stings A LOT!! this happen t anyone else??

I appreciate any of your comments

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

op, i'm gonna move this to lti

folks - no advice please, just personal experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Got mine out at 19 years old. It's some dose alright, i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I bled a few days after Op, exact same as you, pillow completey saoked in blood, thought I was a Zombie when I looked in mirror, unreal stuff.

It was quite sore for atleast three weeks and I really missed the pain killers they give you in the hospital. I hated anybody who ate in my company. I would always be thinking "Look at them, so ungrateful" :P

Best of luck with it and it will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 agh!!

grand im not the only one so! it was very scary and it's like I'm waiting for another bleed. Oh I know what you mean with the whole eating thing...I want to cry when I smell food its so hard when everyone is eating around you and you're sipping on water and trying to chew toast. Talk about a ball of depression like...worth it though in the end I suppose:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I only ever bled the once. Good news is since the Op which is over ten years ago, I have never had a days trouble with my throat. Well worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Had the op at 21 too. And also a small problem. About 30 minutes after I came-to after my op, I suddenly stopped breathing and lost consciousness. It was because blood had started to move towards my lungs and my windpipe closed up in order to protect the lungs. Scary as hell. Was like drowning without the water. Had to stay in hospital an extra day but have never had the same horrible sickness again. Well worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement