Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men and Jewellery

Options
  • 20-04-2010 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭

I just posted on the gentleman's accessories thread and made the point that i don't like jewlery on men.

So as the title says, do posters on here wear jewlery?

Personally i believe that men should only wear a watch and if married a wedding ring, bracelets and chains are right out, and don't even get me started on ear rings.

What I want to know is what is your opinions on this topic? Do you believe a man should wear jewelry? or are there others on here like me who think that men look wrong with jewlery.

Should men wear jewelry? 67 votes

Yes
    7% 5 votes
    No
    92% 62 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Depends on a particular person's 'image'.
    Like lots of jewellery suit some older men, imo, 'the hard look'. Whereas it would look silly on others, my Da being one of them, nothing more than a watch and ring would suit him at all.

Younger men/teenagers, jewellery is more suited to, imo.
    I'm 16, wear a gold chain, 2 diamond or brightly coloured(red, green, blue, yellow, pink) earrings on both ear lobes, eyebrow bar, 1-4 rings and sometimes a bracelet. I love my jewellery and would feel slightly naked without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i'm with the watch and wedding ring only brigade

i absolutely detest piercings on a man

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont even wear a watch :D my phone does that for me just fine. I used to wear a thumb ring then I realised I looked like a clown so got rid of it, so from here out it'll be wedding ring when/if that happens and thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I always wear my silver Accurist watch that I love. I feel absolutely lost without it and if I forget to wear it I'm constantly looking at my bare wrist and muttering darkly as I get my phone to check the time!

Depends on the mood I'm in, and also on the occasion. If it's going to be more formal, I'll be very low toned in my jewellery (the only thing I constantly wear is a very sentimental silver neck chain that I never take off).

On some ocassions, I will wear some/combination of the following:

-silver patterned ring
    -school graduation ring
    -Chelsea FC ring
    -Chelsea FC small silver medal on a silver neck chain
    -Chelsea FC identity bracelet

I have no piercings at all, and don't have any desire to have any, really. I don't mind piercings on men, but some are overdone.

I despise the ''tunnel'' piercings in the earlobes, I think they look particularly ghastly and horrible, especially when they get to obscene sizes.

Apart from that, I'm fairly easy going in regards other styles of piercings et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have a watch , wear four gold rings and have done for over 20 years , all bought as gifts for birthdays or christmas .

Previously I would have being more of the buying jewlery for a family member or girlfriend than somebody who wore any but I like my rings .

Never had a ear ring piece nor any tattoos to mention but just like to much jewlery , they are ok on some people , stupid looking on some older ones .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I had a ring, once...when I was around 15-16 and since then I've only ever worn a watch as jewellry.

If it suits the image the person wearing it is portraying, then I dont see the harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

foinse wrote: »

Are you asking do men wear jewellery or should they wear jewellery?

I wear on and off the following:
    9 rings
    5 earrings
    2 toe rings
    1 tongue stud
    About 10 (not sure of the exact amount at the moment) bracelets

I very rarely wear all of these together and indeed some of them haven't been worn for a good while (tongue). I would never ever wear anything gold as I think it looks tacky on fellas hence most of my stuff is silver.
    I think it depends on the style of the person as to whether it suits them to wear jewellery. Obviously some stuff that looks good on one person wouldn't suit another. Like everything it depends on the individual really. For instance I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a watch. Horrid, bulky cumbersome yokes imo. Yet I'm sure there are others who wouldn't leave the house without one. Totally subjective question yet not uninteresting. I await the results with half-baited breath.

Your poll is also very limited in its scope. I answered yes because I think people should be able to do what they want. Maybe the poll should have been more along the lines of 'Does jewellery look good on men?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

its not that I hate or dislike jewellery on other men, its just not my cup of tea. I have a few watches alright, that I swap around as the occasion merits and a wedding ring, but thats it. Never been into wearing anything more, just doesn't feel right or nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I wear a silver chain that has sentimental meaning for me but I wear in in such a way that it's not really noticeable and most people don't even know that I wear it.

If I ever get married my ring will be going onto the chain as I don't like wearing rings

Oh and also have my eyebrow pierced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Watch is enough for me, jewellery and piercings never did much for me- same with tattoos-

I think jewellery looks good on women as an accessory to a formal dress though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Dr Galen wrote: »
    its not that I hate or dislike jewellery on other men, its just not my cup of tea.

That about sums it up for me. To each their own and all that. Nothing ungentlemanly about wearing jewelery IMO.

I wear a wedding ring and a watch (currently no watch because the strap needs to be replaced). Wouldn't be bothered with much else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

I don't wear jewellery.

Kinda want to now, since the OP thinks I shouldn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I wear a watch and a wedding ring. The watch hardly counts as jewelry, though. I bought it for €6 in Aldi. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

foinse wrote: »
    I just posted on the gentleman's accessories thread and made the point that i don't like jewlery on men.

Personally i believe that men should only wear a watch and if married a wedding ring, bracelets and chains are right out, and don't even get me started on ear rings.

What I want to know is what is your opinions on this topic? Do you believe a man should wear jewelry? or are there others on here like me who think that men look wrong with jewlery.

I do wear body jewellery but don't wear rings on my fingers or chains. It all goes in my piercings. *hears muffled gasps from the corner* :pac:

What exactly is wrong with jewellery on men? I ask this because you didn't really go into specifics or give your own opinions, apart from stating that it looks wrong and men should only wear a watch and or wedding ring. Why is it wrong? Personal taste? I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Totoro_

Like Will I have a lot of piercing's and to me that would count as my jewellery.

For anyone it all depends on the person but whatever is your cuppa tea is fine by me :)

It totally depends on the person and the jewellery
    My husband wears a nice watch and a plain wedding band. I think he would just look odd with anything else.
    My dad though, wears a gold chain, a watch, a gold bracelet, a wedding bad on his left hand and another ring with a diamond in it on his right hand. It's actually all very understated jewellery and really suits him.

Men should do whatever they want, there's loads of things I would say that I'm not into, like adidas tracksuits, or nike air max, but it's really nothing to do with me what anyone wears. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I can't stand jewellery on either men or women. I don't think it adds anything to a person and is quite pointless. It would really turn me off a guy If he had jewellery on,but thats just me and I'm wierd when it comes to necklaces, rings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Just a watch would do it for me.

Never in my life would i be tempted to get an ear-ring or get my eyebrow pierced...not everyone will agree with me but imo it just looks scummy.

Nothing is worse than them studded "diamond" ear-rings on lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,181 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I have two watches one Silver watch and a Ben Sherman one change them about depending on what I am going to be doing.

Silver watch for nights out and special occasions and the other for everyday use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i dont wear jewellery at all really so i dont notice all that much when others do,men included,i think if it suits its grand its not a big thing really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

I'm surprised at all the people with watches. With the advent of the mobile phone, wristwatches are becoming more or less become obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I'm surprised at all the people with watches. With the advent of the mobile phone, wristwatches are becoming more or less become obsolete.

They look slick...thats never obsolete though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Funny...Just today I noticed this. I was in a meeting with 20+ people and trying to subtley determine the time. I didn't have a watch on and from what I could determine there were only 2 people in the room with a watch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Watch
    silver ring given to me on 18th bd
    small leather bracelet.

Find it so silly seeing guys with no watch and always asking the time or digging their hands into their pockets to see their phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

No watch, no wedding ring, no piercings. No bracelets, toe rings, ear cuffs, neck chains.

I do however have a big shiny collection of tie-pins/tie-chains and cuff-links. Does that count as jewelery?
    Is a watch really jewelery?
    If a watch is jewelry then what about an iPod?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Wear a ring and had a thumb ring - unfortunately, that was bought abroad when fingers had swelled in the sun and because of the Irish heat, it doesn't fit :(

Have started wearing a watch again (on my right hand which seems to bother others but no one can answer me why)

Wear a black neck chain...Other pieces are silver. Hopefully they suit me but I like the way they look and feel so it's all good by me.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I only wear a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

OldGoat wrote: »
    Is a watch really jewelery?
    If a watch is jewelry then what about an iPod?

An iPod is an electronic device, not a fashion accessory, although some might argue that it is these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

baz2009 wrote: »
    An iPod is an electronic device, not a fashion accessory, although some might argue that it is these days.

tell that to some 13 year olds if you havent got the newist cool gaget you aint anybody...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't really care what other men do. Personally I don't like it at all as I think it's really pointless. Don't wear a watch because I find them very uncomfortable.

I'm a bit put off by women that wear excessive amounts of jewellery; I tend to think they look a lot worse with it. I actually find piercings to be a bit revolting as well.

Advertisement