Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men and Jewellery

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

I'm not a fan of men wearing diamond earrings or chunky chains around their necks or wrists. I've always disliked seeing guys with a ring on their little finger. Something about it creeps me out.

I like beaded/leather bracelets on guys though. I think less is best for both men and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

not a huge fan of jewellery on men.
    especially rings. i don't know why, i'm a woman and love cute rings but somehow when the...ring is on the other..hand, i'm not so enthusiastic. rings and long fingernails are the kind of thing that will instantly turn me off someone a bit.

i don't mind some leather or fabric kind of friendship bracelets like these
    http://litwins.com/img/friendship/Friendship-Bracelets---Burnt-Orange.jpg
    but nothing metal, or too chunky/big.

also dont like earrings, especially anything sparkly! but don't mind tunnels/ plugs/those wooden kind.
    http://www.coolpierce.com/images/jewelry/wood-earrings-oew-001.jpg

i guess i just dont like anything metal/flashy [metals only okay as a nose/lip ring]
    and prefer natural materials. less is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

i wear 3 leather bracelets on my right wrist. thats it. i used to wear a watch but kept forgeting to put it on.

People can wear what they want, but IMO, gold rings (apart from wedding band), and gold chains are just tacky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I've got a couple of watches down through the years as presents and never wore them much to my shame. I usually end up giving them away (to my Dad or something).

I don't wear any jewellery, have any piercings or tattoos. I don't wear hats either, never have done. Or scarfs or gloves, except very rarely. I don't carry an umbrella either. Just giving you that peripheral information to give you some context. Jewelery and accessories just don't feel right to me. I rarely even wear a belt unless my jeans would be falling down without one.

I'll be honest and say that I admire tasteful jewellery on women. On men I find a similar type of jewellery (small ear piercings, finger rings with stones, metal bracelets, necklaces) un-masculine. Those massive crow bar things, on either gender, I do not like the look of (but not un-masculine).

To continue on this train of thought into slightly more controversial waters I think men 'should' look masculine and women should look feminine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Not my cuppa really, but I've got no problem with other men wearing it (so long as they're not fat gold chains!)
    Just occasionally wear a cheap digital watch myself and a shoestring necklace with sentimental value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

baz2009 wrote: »
    An iPod is an electronic device, not a fashion accessory, although some might argue that it is these days.
    Just as a watch (originally) was a mechanical device but now it's just arm-candy.

My daughters phone, worn around her neck strung on a lariat is encrusted in Swarovski crystals. As she never has any credit on it so it's being worn purly for asthetic reasons.
    Dosen't that define it as jewlery?
    Headphones are the new jewlery. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Just a watch for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I dont wear any jewellery,have never owned/worn a ring/chain/bracelet etc and never will.

I do have a nice watch that I break out for certain occasions eg weddings but otherwise it sits in a box.

Personally I dont care either way however men of a certain age wearing ear rings or chunky bracelets/chains look,IMO,ridiculous.

For younger men they usually stereotyped as being chavs,Im guilty of this type casting more than once myself,but as Will said,to each his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Two watch's:
    One is my 21st present and only comes out when the occassion merits it.
    Second is all black and my day to day one.

Rings?
    Have a gold Claddagh ring always on never leaves my hand. It might have to be put in storage when the wedding band is valid :p.

I had a silver thumb ring in younger clubbing days, although like someone else posted was bought in a hot climate and is a bit on the lose side.

After that I have a collection of cufflinks (something to suit most occassions). Do they really count as jewellery? Cause to me a shirt is only being bought if it takes cufflinks and proper collar stays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I don't mind men wearing jewellery, so long as it's tasteful and not over styled-looking ... I feel the same about women wearing it!
    Wearing too much or over doing it can look tacky and ruin the effect.

I prefer men wearing more casual jewellery like surfer beads rather than big, chunky pieces of bling. To be honest, any OTT bling would put me off right away. It tends to look a bit pretentious, IMO.

A nice silver watch and / or ring is fine too ... that can look quite stylish :)

As for body jewellery, I'm cool with that too ... Again, provided it's not over doing it ... Too much can be a turn off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I prefer men wearing more casual jewellery like surfer beads rather than big, chunky pieces of bling. To be honest, any OTT bling would put me off right away. It tends to look a bit pretentious, IMO.

I where those kinda beads you cants see them i got them from moroco years and years ago my mom byes me loades of them... But i do wear them quite a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

Are you asking do men wear jewellery or should they wear jewellery?

I'm saying that personally i don't like it, as i think it looks wrong for men to be wearing loads of jewelry, what i'm wondering is what are the beliefs of others on here?

Do people agree/disagree with me?

Thanks for all the replies so far, seems to be getting a good conversation going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

just reading some of the replies

i'd have given a blanket no to anything other that watch and wedding ring

but i forgot about cufflinks.. i love cufflinks on a guy, always award extra marks for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

OldGoat wrote: »
    My daughters phone, worn around her neck strung on a lariat is encrusted in Swarovski crystals. As she never has any credit on it so it's being worn purly for asthetic reasons.
    Dosen't that define it as jewlery?
    It's bleedin' rapih'! That's what is it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Wedding ring and watch myself, nothing more.
    I always laugh out loud at guys with "diamond stud" ear-rings and try and make sure they hear me. They're the most ridiculous looking little girlies I've ever seen and cannot see the attraction in deliberately putting on girly bling.

Don't mind piercings or leather wristbands but bling really cracks me up.

I would agree with wearing cuff links, but wouldn't have classed them as jewelry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Cufflinks to me anyway mean metal (or at least looking like they are metal). That default knotted elestic yokes that normally come with shirts are a no no unless you've no choice.

The only pain in the ass about cufflinks is losing one of a nice set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Is jewellery not classed any type of decorative object which contains precious metals or stones? It seems that there's 2 main offenders, those with lots of piercings and those who wear the the gold chains and necklaces.

As someone who falls into the piercing side I wasn't aware that so many people really detested it, words like "ghastly", "horrible" and "pointless".

My own view is that men should wear jewellery if they so choose. I don't think it detracts from them as a person, it may skew your perception/judgement of them but that's more so your own problem and not theirs. Jewellery is worn to make the wearer feel better/prettier/more handsome about themselves, whether they find it in a chunky gold necklace, labradorite plugs or even a nice set of cuff links.

I think it also comes into what is socially accepted and seen as normal. The poll results speak for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I think the question is phrased wrong, tbh. Like 'should' implies that there should be a law against men wearing jewellery, imo. A more open question like 'Do you like jewellwry on men?' would be a better way of asking the question, imo.

Will wrote: »
    Is jewellery not classed any type of decorative object which contains precious metals or stones? It seems that there's 2 main offenders, those with lots of piercings and those who wear the the gold chains and necklaces.

As someone who falls into the piercing side I wasn't aware that so many people really detested it, words like "ghastly", "horrible" and "pointless".

My own view is that men should wear jewellery if they so choose. I don't think it detracts from them as a person, it may skew your perception/judgement of them but that's more so your own problem and not theirs. Jewellery is worn to make the wearer feel better/prettier/more handsome about themselves, whether they find it in a chunky gold necklace, labradorite plugs or even a nice set of cuff links.

I think it also comes into what is socially accepted and seen as normal. The poll results speak for themselves.

Will the thing i find is that first impressions are hard to shake, while i don't think it's right, it's something that's not going to change if somebody wears a chunky gold chain, ear rings and lets say soverign rings then that says something about them, given the type of person who would wear jewelry like that, it says something negative about them to everyone else. It's association by jewelry, might be wrong but that's what happens.

So i don't think it's the observers problem, like you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

foinse wrote: »

I think this can depend on the observer. Someone mentioned that they laugh at people wearing certain types of jewellery but try to make sure that the wearer hears them laughing. I think this type of attitude is wrong. The observer obviously thinks that they are superior and that they have a right to mock and ridicule others because of the choices they make. In this case I think the observer is the one with the problem i.e. a superiority complex. Someone to be avoided....

Edit: Is there such a thing as a superiority complex?

Will the thing i find is that first impressions are hard to shake, while i don't think it's right, it's something that's not going to change if somebody wears a chunky gold chain, ear rings and lets say soverign rings then that says something about them, given the type of person who would wear jewelry like that, it says something negative about them to everyone else. It's association by jewelry, might be wrong but that's what happens.

Well that all depends if you take the time to get to know the person and go beyond first impressions, which judging by your response you wouldn't do anyway if someone was dressed in such a way.

I do think it's the observers issue, they're too pre-occupied with how the other person looks. No amount of jewellery, fine suits or whichever fashion sense one has is gonna change the persons demeanor or personality. If someone is gonna be a scumbag, they're gonna be a scumbag regardless if they're dressed in Armani or a tracksuit from lifestyle sports or if they're sporting jewellery of any type.

My own view is that men should wear jewellery if they so choose. I don't think it detracts from them as a person, it may skew your perception/judgement of them but that's more so your own problem and not theirs.

spot on

Well that all depends if you take the time to get to know the person and go beyond first impressions, which judging by your response you wouldn't do anyway if someone was dressed in such a way.

I do think it's the observers issue, they're too pre-occupied with how the other person looks. No amount of jewellery, fine suits or whichever fashion sense one has is gonna change the persons demeanor or personality. If someone is gonna be a scumbag, they're gonna be a scumbag regardless if they're dressed in Armani or a tracksuit from lifestyle sports or if they're sporting jewellery of any type.

If you see someone walking towards you wearing a tracksuit, bottoms tucked into socks, thick gold chain, soverign rings, and a tight and greasy looking hair cut what would you automatically think?

conversely if you saw the same individual wearing a nice suit/ jeans and shirt and no jewelry, with a decent hair cut you're opinion of that person is going to be very different. No matter how much you say other wise. We all appraise people on how they look, first impressions count, saying it doesn't won't change that.

If you were attending a job interview you'd wear a suit and tone down whatever jewelry you wear, why? because the HR manager will be looking for somebody who looks dependable and conservative, ie they will be judging you from the minute you walk in the door. That includes how you dress and what jewelry you wear. You dress for the occasion.

If i didn't look past a person's image i would have been out of my job a long time ago, i take the time to get to know people, unlike what you presume from my posts. The point i'm making is that first impressions are often what we use to make our minds up about people. hence jewelry can say a lot about a person that they may not be intending.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I really hate gold jewelery, on women or men. But especially men. I like silver or leather on men. My ex wears a really thick-strapped leather watch that I got him for Christmas, and it looks great. He also had a thick leather cuff that I thought looked fantastic on. Silver rings are fine in moderation, leather bracelets or necklaces in a surfer-style are cool, and certain piercings look very well. I don't like ear lobe piercings at all. I'd be instantly turned off, I think.

To sum up, gold = bad, silver or leather = good :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I don't like a lot of jewellery on people.

For me I have a formal watch with a black leather strap and flush watch face and a more casual silver one with a metal linked strap.
    I don't personally like rings either and the only one I would wear is a wedding ring if I were to have one.

Edited to add cufflinks as well but they're a necessity obviously with double cuff shirts.

This thread has turned out exactly as I thought it would.
    Some people like jewellery on men, some don't. :rolleyes:

This thread has turned out exactly as I thought it would.
    Some people like jewellery on men, some don't. :rolleyes:

Well observed however these were the kind of opinions i was looking for when i started it.

If you see someone walking towards you wearing a tracksuit, bottoms tucked into socks, thick gold chain, soverign rings, and a tight and greasy looking hair cut what would you automatically think?

People like that walk by me most days, I don't bat an eyelid. I keep walking, mind my own business and focus on where I'm going.
    conversely if you saw the same individual wearing a nice suit/ jeans and shirt and no jewelry, with a decent hair cut you're opinion of that person is going to be very different. No matter how much you say other wise. We all appraise people on how they look, first impressions count, saying it doesn't won't change that.

Again people like that walk by me everyday of the week, once again I think nothing of it and couldn't care less.
    If you were attending a job interview you'd wear a suit and tone down whatever jewelry you wear, why? because the HR manager will be looking for somebody who looks dependable and conservative, ie they will be judging you from the minute you walk in the door. That includes how you dress and what jewelry you wear. You dress for the occasion.

I have attended job interviews before wearing a suit, but also wearing all my jewellery in my piercings. I've nothing to hide. Furthermore I got the job, do you know why? Because I was better than the other applicants, was able to dispel myth's and impress those who interviewed me.
    If i didn't look past a person's image i would have been out of my job a long time ago, i take the time to get to know people, unlike what you presume from my posts. The point i'm making is that first impressions are often what we use to make our minds up about people. hence jewelry can say a lot about a person that they may not be intending.

If someone can do the job they've applied for, yet may not have the right look does this mean they aren't fit for it or may not make the right impression?

Personally speaking I never go on first impressions, as they are almost always totally wrong. You can't get a good handle on someone until you've known them for a while. Also the type of person someone is, is not reflected in the clothes they wear, the jewellery they sport or the car they drive. It is in how they act.

• Advertisement

Well observed

Thanks. ;)

Advertisement