Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men and Jewellery

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

sam34 wrote: »
    i'm with the watch and wedding ring only brigade

i absolutely detest piercings on a man
    Me too. I don't like piercings on anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I like jewellery on guys a lot. It tells me a little something about themselves.
    What I don't like is the gold chains or bling of sorts. I think those leather cuff things are kinda sexy, as are necklace thingys. Piercings I don't mind at all, except maybe the large hole in the lobe. Not really into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

WindSock wrote: »
    Piercings I don't mind at all, except maybe the large hole in the lobe. Not really into that.
    But poking your finger through Wills lobe haz the funniz and the joke NEVER gets old, right Will? :rolleyes:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Never ever ever gets old cos it's never ever ever done to me in bars and clubs... Ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

OldGoat wrote: »
    But poking your finger through Wills lobe haz the funniz and the joke NEVER gets old, right Will? :rolleyes:
    Will wrote: »
    Never ever ever gets old cos it's never ever ever done to me in bars and clubs... Ever

Lol. I have the same surname as a famous Irish footballer and constantly get asked am I related to them. I feel your pain Will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Never really did the whole jewelry thing, don't wear rings, watches, necklaces. Never liked the feeling of them on me. Even if someone gave something as a present I'd put it away because I'd take it off eventually anyway or lose it !

More hassle than it's worth really.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

Apart from a nice watch [Christopher Ward] noting else :cool: if I ever make it to married land I well off course ware the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

I view men who sport jewelery as ostentatious.

I would never wear any for that reason. But each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Never really did the whole jewelry thing

You do have your tongue pierced though! So that would mean that you DO actually wear jewellery! :p

I don't mind either way. Personally, I love piercings! I have some myself. If a guy wants to have rings coming out of every bit of skin, that's his business and it won't make a blind bit of difference to me. Same if a guy wants to wear just a watch or no jewellery at all. If they are pleasant and honest people then we'll get along just fine! :) I'm attracted to people whether they wear jewellery or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I wear one ring on my right ring finger and that's it. Watches don't suit me and I hate piercings on men! I'm not sure if I'd continue to wear my right hand ring if I got married and had one on the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I was a bit surprized to see the reactons on here against guys wearing jewelery. Myself on a night out I usually wear a bracelet that was given to me on my 21'st so it's kind of a sentimental thing, sometimes I wear a cross chain I also have an eye brow, ear and lip piercing...Each to their own I guess but I woulda change it for the world..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I think there's a fine line between wearing jewellery that compliments you and over doing it - myself I wear a nice watch that the girlfriend gave me for Christmas, a cross silver cross & chain my parents got for me when I finished my leaving and a ring on the middle finger of my left hand - it's a nice stainless steel ring with a celtic design all around it - I realise that sounds like something a pikey would wear but it's nice believe me!

I had an stud in my ear but that was a bridge too far for me tbh so took it out after a while - like I said it's knowing what compliments you and what doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

These days only wear a watch, but have in the past been known to wear a kinda beaded necklace.

Not a big fan of chunky chains or necklases to be honest.

Nor big rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The brits seem to be big into it........soverign rings, bracelets, necklaces, earrings in each ear.

I see it creeping into irish society now esp among urban males.

Personally i think its tacky and wee bit sleazy esp on a man over 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

I think how much and what depends on the occasion tbh, i've my eyebrow pierced so thats always in obviously.

Almost all the time i'm wearing a watch and often have something around my neck. occasionally wear a ring

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Wear a watch and a ring. Have my tragus and tongue pierced. That will do for now.

Watch and ring were given to me as presents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

fryup wrote: »
    The brits seem to be big into it........soverign rings, bracelets, necklaces, earrings in each ear.

I see it creeping into irish society now esp among urban males.

Personally i think its tacky and wee bit sleazy esp on a man over 40.

You're only beginning to see it creep in now?
    It's been here with a bang since 2005/6.

I love the look(not on scrawny fcukers, though) personally, I dunno why, but I love big in your face gold rings, neckalces, bracelets and earrings.
    Yes, I'm being serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

baz2009 wrote: »
    I love the look(not on scrawny fcukers, though) personally, I dunno why, but I love big in your face gold rings, neckalces, bracelets and earrings.
    Yes, I'm being serious.

And why not be serious? At the end of the day it boils down to this: some people like the look of jewellery on men and some don't. Some think gold looks good while others think it's tacky. Some like pierceings, others would rather drink their own urine than pierce themselves. One person even likes to laugh at people who don't conform to their values, hoping that they're heard because that's the way they like to express themselves.
    I'm sure there are others out there who laugh like f**k at people like us who discuss things like this on the internet. And you know what, who gives a sh*t what anyone else thinks about you or what you wear, how you dress, talk etc. Nobody can tell you that what you're doing is wrong (unless you're buying stuff in headshops :rolleyes:) because that's only their opinion and if everyone is completely honest, other peoples opinions, especially strangers', count for very little in our everday lives. So go ahead, wear metal in and on your skin because at the end of the day you're doing it for yourself, not anyone else. If they don't like it, that's their problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

well back in my day (jayus i sound like an old fart)

it was > earring in one ear + mullet + white socks + shoes that went clickity clak

and you were looked upon as a right toe-rag

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

Another way of looking at the same question is: Should Irish men wear jewellery? From the replies I see most people here would be happy just with a watch and a wedding band. If you ask the same question in Mediterranean countries you'll find a vastly different attitude to male jewellery. If you ask Dutch people of Indian or Antillean descent you'll find gold and diamonds are perfectly fine for males. It's all about the poin of view

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I think it totally depends on the guy!

My fiance's a big bogger, and he's not interested in fashion at all. He wears a nice watch, and will eventually (hopefully!) wear a wedding ring ... but that's it. And nothing else would suit him, in my opinion!

Then his cousin, who looks almost identical to him, is a little bit ... I'm going to say "knackery", but I don't mean that in a bad way, I honestly love him to bits! He is a bit more interested in his appearance, and he wears a couple of thick-ish gold chains, a gold sovereign ring, and has an eyebrow pierced. And I don't know, I suppose some people might be put off by it, but I just find it endearing somehow! :D It's just the look he's going for, and he rocks it ... (and the eyebrow piercing is hottt!!!)

Then I know a surfer dude, who has to wear a suit every day to work, but he always wears a few colourful woven hippy-ish bracelets and chains underneath it. Again, it really suits him.

Like anything else, I suppose it's a way for some guys to express themselves and their personality. It's not that I think that they "should" necessarily wear jewellery, but if they choose to then it's their own business and they shouldn't be judged for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 pento

anything more than a watch and wedding ring is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

its horses for courses. i personally only wear a watch & wedding ring but i always wear the best (does'nt translate as biggest) watch i can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

I wear a silver watch, silver chain (its not a massive one, bit smaller than average id say?), and an ear stud.. i just like it, thinking about getting my other ear pierced and getting two black studs and also getting my eyebrow pierced but one of the lads reckons 'anything more than one piercing is gay', not that there's anything wrong with it but i think it would look good :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

clarke1991 wrote: »
    I wear a silver watch, silver chain (its not a massive one, bit smaller than average id say?), and an ear stud.. i just like it, thinking about getting my other ear pierced and getting two black studs and also getting my eyebrow pierced but one of the lads reckons 'anything more than one piercing is gay', not that there's anything wrong with it but i think it would look good :p.

Do you have a ronaldo mullet going on too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

Do you have a ronaldo mullet going on too :pac:
    haha no im afraid not, thinking about that too :p (joke, no way lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I have three watches, One is a black Elesse watch (bought by the other half) and two Storm (one from brother for being best man,one from parents...In fact just thinking about it,It might have just been the last christmas before my dad died..(just thought about that there) )

I wear the black one the most.. but alternate with the others depending on occasions..
    I also have a wedding ring..(titanium)

I think Silver looks tacky and too much gold looks cheap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 stephenmaturin

I wear a silver chain with a cross on it (the cross is not visible normally) and a plain silver ring on my right hand.

I used to wear a silver watch but it broke and would be too expensive to fix. Must get a new one sometime.

I took the silver ring off for my job interview last week because the interviewer might take away the wrong impression. Didn't want to risk it.

I wouldn't ever get a tattoo or piercing. I think a not-too-large amount of jewellry, preferably silver, looks quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I think alot of dudes can pull off jewellery regardless of age. Besides, if you like jewellery, wear it! Don't mind what others think.

I have my ears lobes strectched to 8mm, quite small. Looks like this.

plug%283%29.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I dont wear any rings and dont wear a watch.

I wear a Lift Strong rubber bracelet (bit like the Lance Armstrong LiveStrong ones)
    and i also have a tongue bar.
    that's it.
    I'll wear a ring when i get married.

Advertisement